ORS rating

Hi,

the ORS rating is followed by an overall rating. This overall rating can be higher or lower than the rating, at least on a direct flight.

Can someone explain which factors have an influence. What makes the overall rating increase or decrease the first rating ?

Jan

when you look for flight details there is a tab named "flight rating"

there are the main ratings for the flight

when you have two or three flights in a row the combination of all with transfertime get rated

Thanks, but I am purely referring to the ORS tool.

I also thought that the overal rating for connecting flights took the transfer time into account, but that doesn’t always seem the case. So I guess there are other factors.

For direct flights, I first thought the sort of plane caused the difference between the rating and the overall rating. It seemed the overall rating was lower for turboprops than for jets. But that too isn’t always the case.

Hence my question…

Jan

It is the total time for a flight to take place from point A to point B. Whether it passes through a point C it doesn’t matter as long as the total time is shorter - If you use jets a connection A-C-B could be faster than a prop A-B so the overall rating of the jet flight will increase from say 91 to 94 while the prop flight would go from 91 to 89. Obviously, this is exaggerated a bit but the total time for reaching the destination would affect the rating with + or - to the otherwise calculated flight rating. This, however, I think does not affect the airline image, which is calculated on the basis of the flight ratings not the overall ratings. Whether it is + or - to your overall rating is dependent on some calculated baseline by AS.

Hi,

that would certainly explain why on a given route, a 737 gets 100/99, a regional jet 100/98 and a prop 100/92…

But sometimes a prop gets ratings like 78/82…

Jan

This only means that a prop on this distance has a rating of say 85 so if your flight rating is below it it will increase it and if your flight rating is higher it will decrease it. The further your flight rating from the "time rating" the larger effect it will have on the overall rating. At least that’s the way I understand it and the only way to explain it.

Again, that makes sense… good thinking !

On a given distance, a prop would get an overall rating of for example -8, a regional jet -2 and a narrow body gets -1. That would certainly explain why the same seating and pricing gives a narrow body 100/99, a regional jet 100/98 and a turboprop 100/92. Which means you need a (theoretical) rating of 107 to obtain an overall rating of 99. Because it is possible to get a 100/99 rating with a prop.

It would however be nice if someone from the AS-team can confirm this. If only to save me the time it will take to figure it out exactly by testing different types of planes on the same route. And well… also to avoid the sort of yes/no discussion I had about the seat spacing

Jan

Just a reminder…

Were can i see this rating figures (i.e. these 100/99, 100/98), i can’t seem to find it?

Aleksandr

Go to the ORS, search for a route, and then hover over the green/red bars. It should indicate a number after a second or two.

Now i get it, thanks.

Jeez… I saw the “new message” sign and for a minute I thought I would finally get an answer to my question. And then I opened this thread :blush:

I believe that you already said (on the old forum) you did not know, Tim. But surely somebody (Martin ?) must know…

So I shall repeat my question. What causes the difference between the rating and the overall rating. I am not asking for a secret formula… I only want to know what factors cause the difference between the rating and the overall rating.

Jan

The overall rating provides a bonus for direct flights.

So if you have to change two times, the rating is worse then for a direct flight between A and B.

The comment in AS (on the page of a scheduled flight) reads: [color="#AAAAAA"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"]* The final ORS rating may differ. In general it slightly improves for direct flights while it falls off a bit for connections.[/size][/font][/color]

Thank you, but I had read that already ;)

It does however not explain what factors have an influence… is it the total time of the journey ? combined image of the two flights ? type of plane ? It could just be the average overall rating of the two flights, minus a penalty for the transfer.

But my question mainly refers to direct flights. The "overall" rating of a direct flight is only higher than the "normal" rating if that rating is low. In such cases you can get a rating of 75 and on the next line see an overall rating of 83.

I have experimented a bit and checked the ORS rating… Same route, same price, same on-board service, same type of seats, but different planes. Then one plane gets a rating of 100/99, another one gets a rating of 100/98 and the third plane gets a rating of 100/92. And I am referring to direct flights.

Perhaps the type of plane causes this difference (jet, regional jet and turboprop). Perhaps the appreciation of the public towards a particular plane causes the difference. Or there could be other factors that influence the difference. And my question is: which factors have an influence.

Jan

Same question…

I’m experimenting some long haul flights from my base in MNL using a A330-200 and the route is MNL-LGW.

Upon checking on the ORS rating, It has an overall rating of 82 in Y.

With no other competitors who flies direct and No ground handling contract though.

Also this are the following configuration and prices.

Config

231 (EcoPlus) / 13 (Business Premium)

Prices and Pax Load

Y - $ 690 (def 459) - 198/231 (86%)

C - $ 1,193 (def 918) - Full

Overall margin -85,659 (-58%)

Now, I raised again my prices today by around 160-180%. So that I can get profits for at least 2-3%… ;)

(No bookings entered yet)

Y - $ 775

C - $ 1400

I wonder if this would really affect the overall ORS rating which I know for sure there would be significant drop of loads.

Another scenario I observed

MNL-LAX

Competitor A: 777-200ER - F5 C50 Y260 (I assume its Platinum / Biz Adv / Economy)

Ratings and Prices

Y - 93 / $ 552 (Fully booked)

C - 100 / $ 1007 (Fully booked)

Competitor B: 777-200ER - C50 Y275 ( BizAdv / Economy )

Y - 82 / $ 524 (Fully booked)

C - 86 / $ 1049 (Not full)

Now, for such a long haul flight with not so good seats to use for this leg. I wonder why would the pax still prefer this to take the Eco Seats for 10,000 km flight and still get a sufficient ratings?

What if I offer EcoPlus / Biz Prem and rise the prices for at least 150-160% compare to that competitors?

But I have to use either 77W or A380 for this leg since EcoPlus/Biz Prem will really decrease the capacity of the plane. Or still use the Eco/Biz Adv with a sacrifice to ORS ratings.

If there is no competition you shouldn’t have to worry. As long as ORS is positive the same number of people should book your flights (there is no Southwest Effect in AS). Of course if competition offers connecting opportunities this may effect you, but as long as they are full or your direct flight has a higher rating you should do well.

But how about this…

If I do offer two choices of flight since I have two subsidiaries.

Low Cost

Prices: 120%

Seats Eco/Biz Adv

Flag Carrier

Prices: 140%

Seats: EcoPlus/Biz Premium

Now, that will clutter the ORS ratings for sure but what will be the pax preferences when choosing flights?

to compare these two, you must have 100% same circumstances

same planes, same age of planes, same service, same flight schedule etc.

because all of these facts have an influence on the rating

but most of all it is important, what connections your pax have

they prefer more to book flights with good connections and a low rating

than flights with a good rating and worse connections

why arent my flights being entered into the ors

if you can’t see your flights in the ORS then your rating is not good enough compared to other flights