Another newbie question, why my planes fly empty...

Hello!

I started my airline about a week ago, I set domestic routes etc, everything was ok, I got pretty normal load factor 

Some time later I leased two E195s and set some international routes to hubs like Fraknfurt, London, Amsterdam etc.

And here's a problem, nobody books these routes (except Paris, because my hub is in Algiers, and you know, political reasons).

I think PAX should fly from minor algerian airports to ALG and then transfer to international flights, but they don't. I've got a 87  rating in ORS, and I am only airline servicing routes from ALG.

Except transfer pax, people should want to travel from Algiers itself, but they also don't.

What am I doing wrong?  

Airline name and server? This way someone can take a look and see. But in general, you should concentrate on domestic traffic first. There is good domestic demand in Algeria. Then once you have a large number of domestic flights, concentrate on French Airports, Morocco, and Tunisia to start.

Thanks, my airline is AlgerianSky on tempelhof. 

Yeah, I know, my domestic routes function correctly, I don't want to stop at domestic flights, I want to develop my airline :D

Yeah, but you can not do that by directly going to the big leagues.

There are thousands of alternative connections from Algerian cities to places like FRA, LHR, AMS, …

You need a good feeder network to be able to operate midhaul and longhaul successfully in places like/near Europe, the US and basically all other highly competitive markets

I am only airline that services routes from ALG to LHR.

I thought pax would first choose direct connection, and if it doesn't find one, pax would fly with transfer... Am I wrong?

No you are correct so far.

but it could also be that the pax will use other airlines and their HUbs for transfer.

if for example the passenger wants to start in AAE and fly to LHR and there is a connection

AAE - MAD - LHR or AAE - CDG - LHR with airlines that have good image, shorter transfer and

therefore travel time he might choose the alternative.

thats why it is also helpfull to start domestic flights in order to increase image, which takes some time

in other words: he is NOT correct.

pax choose the best overall option. there is no "only if no direct flights are available" or "direct flights are 250% better than connecting flights".

so, it does not matter if you, @OP, are the only one serving the route ALG LHR. on that route as well as all those routes that include a transfer for passengers at your hub are subject to competition. so there ARE thousands of alternative options available.

You have already mentioned a valid point yourself. Algeria and France are not only well connected but speak also the same language. So France will be a main market for you. Every single small city in a while. Also the other Maghreb countries are the ones you should fly to. Not LHR, not AMS.

And read in the forum if an ORS-rating of 87 is enough on competitive routes.

I’ll try to be more clear.

Domestic traffic in Algeria is good. Build on that. You should have multiple daily flights to domestic airports. Then build in France, almost any city in France will support daily flights, some of them multiple dailies. Morocco will also do well. Tunisia should do OK, not quite as well as Morocco. Once you are close to 1000 weekly on ALG, try BCN and MAD, these should do well at this point. Wait on LHR until well over 1000 in your hub.

I have now given you a simple guideline that wil basically build your airline for you.

I should probably delete this LOL.

Forget Spain unless you have more than 2.500 departures. Algeria is not Morocco where this would work.

France is key.

I am only airline that services routes from ALG to LHR.

I thought pax would first choose direct connection, and if it doesn’t find one, pax would fly with transfer… Am I wrong?

Yes.

A direct/nonstop gets the better rating but pax are distributed via rating relative to frequency.

So while you’re top rated you only get your share of bookings out of all available connections. And if there’s thousands of connections your share gets close to zero.

Blame it on the games way of demand distribution. But that’s why people keep telling newbies to build a domestic feed first. Point to point doesn’t really work in this game.

Forget Spain unless you have more than 2.500 departures. Algeria is not Morocco where this would work.

France is key.

Not going to argue here as you’re not completely incorrect, however I built a rather large airline in ALG at one point. BCN and MAD work fairly well. The rest of Spain would be wasted though. In my case though I had an excellent IL partner, so that may have been the difference.

With the right IL partner it works, indeed. But to connect France, you will not need a good IL partner and hence I would suggest to concentrate on French speaking countries first. Rest of the World will follow. :-)

Thank you guys for help :)

I've got one more question:

What's max time between two flights in which pax could transfer?

I've got one more question:

What’s max time between two flights in which pax could transfer?

8 hours, but anything above 2.5 or 3 hours will result ever in very little benefit in highly competitive markets.