Confused about Inflight Services

Hello

I have just begun playing again after an extended break.   I tried doing a search through the forum and reviewing the old wiki and blog about staring up - however i could not seem to find what I am looking for.

When I go to the InFlight Services section and start making changes to the in flight offerings I am puzzled about a few things

First - when choosing a meal service there are some that have "Min 800KM) restrictions and some that do not.  I can understand that serving a warm meal would require some set up and delivery and short haul flights having hot meal service is just plain silly.

However what I do not understand is why some of the hot meals are less expensive than some of the cold meal options.  In addition there is really no guildline as to what is more popular or would be actually better for guests.

For example if I am flying a 1400km route is it better to offer my business customers

"Large Warm Economy Meal"  - cost 8.80$    or    "Cold Business Appetizer"  - cost 9.10$  

Since there is no description my personal assumption is that a warm meal is better than a cold appetizer plate.    But the cold plate costs more - so am I to assume that spending more AS$ = higher ratings ?   Or is there any correlation between the item itself and the improved service?

I mean in the snacks section you can get a "Deli Sandwich" - which sounds to me to be a better offering (more filing) than a chocolate mousse which costs more but I am not sure that it will lead to better overall service.

So the basic question is - does the item have anything to do with the quality of service or is it simply looking at "you spent more on an item therefore it has a higher rating" ?

Thanks for the help

within a certain category, the higher the price, the higher the result appears to be. however, there seem to be two variables you can influence with your choices in regard to the overall rating for your onboard service. to find out what's what is up to you.

The way in which the items in service selection are placed decide what the overall rating will be. Yes, I agree that a deli sandwich is much better than a chocolate mousse in real life. But here, the mousse will have a better effect on improving the rating of the flight. I think this is just about what the item is named: you can just replace the names of the items in your mind if that helps. Though updating the service options will definitely be a great idea.

I'm fairly sure that the "deli sandwich" is not a sandwich of a quality from a delicatessen, but rather a sandwich containing "deli meat".  By "deli meat", I mean a single shaving - whether or not this is actual meat is debatable.

Whether in-game or real life, there's a vast difference in ingredient quality between an economy meal and a business meal.  Theoretically, the only guarantee that comes with an economy meal is that it probably won't give you food poisoning, or if it does, you won't get sick until after the flight is over.  Generally, airlines want return business from their premium passengers, so business meals come with real flavour and/or pleasing textures.

I'm fairly sure that the "deli sandwich" is not a sandwich of a quality from a delicatessen, but rather a sandwich containing "deli meat".  By "deli meat", I mean a single shaving - whether or not this is actual meat is debatable.

Whether in-game or real life, there's a vast difference in ingredient quality between an economy meal and a business meal.  Theoretically, the only guarantee that comes with an economy meal is that it probably won't give you food poisoning, or if it does, you won't get sick until after the flight is over.  Generally, airlines want return business from their premium passengers, so business meals come with real flavour and/or pleasing textures.

LOL

How very true...thanks for all the answers....I sorta figured it was a "spend more" "get more" thing.   It would be nice to have some additional options in the in flight services as well as the ability to generate revenue - especially if your an ULCC - charging for everything from pillows to gambling, to offering in flight duty free.

Cheers

Have a great Tuesday

I have different profiles for under 800km, under 1800km, medium haul, long haul and ultra long haul. I have used the same service profiles for the last years as it is the cheapest way to get five green bars. When developing the service profile I first suggest reaching 5 bars and then trying to cut the cost. Some prefer to only go one green bar in C for under 800km profiles as they find it unnecessary expensive to get three bars.

I agree that some Economy meals specifically on TAP (the worlds worst airline, IMO) looks and tastes like a brown paste and that brown paste will exit your body after eating it.   

You cannot get 5 green bars in C in under 800 km, Christian.

You cannot get 5 green bars in C in under 800 km, Christian.

Thanks, I was thinking only go for one instead of three but wrote only go for three instead of five. I fixed it :).

That’s right, many go for one green bar in C on very short routes under 800 km, and 3 green bars is maximum possible. I find the marginal profit in C exists counting marginal revenue and marginal cost on 3 bars versus 1 bar C. But it needs fine tuning of pricing and careful utilization of all rating affecting factors

For under 800km three bars is the maximum for C and four for Y.

Yes, meant to say 3. Phone keyboard typo.

Why having this menu selection at all? I'd rather have just two sliders per passenger class, something like Distance and Level (-5 to 5) that allow to set flight distance and level of service for the current profile. Do we really need to know what is included in that service?

PS! That would also eliminate situations when the selected profile is not optimal in terms of price/performance ratio i.e. when the selected level of service (green bars) is achievable through different selection of items that cost less.

I oppose to that last suggestion.

If for simplicity we just set a slider, we could just as well set a “gets me a SLF of 85%plus”-price slider or when ordering new planes “has best per seat costs between 500 and 1000km”-aircraft placeholder.

While it is not much, catering is one of the few things you can use to fine tune your airline, both in regard to costs as well as turnaround times (where dynamic turnarounds are enabled).

You don’t have to fine tune catering, you can just as well select all or none, but you can to get that additional pax or save those extra 3$ per seat.

If, however, it is called deli sandwich or snack option 1 is only aesthetics

Catering choices add personality to an airline.

Yeah on my airline is the Deli Sandwich is warm slices of pheasant in an artisan brioche bun handmade and baked by the French pastry chef that is on board every flight.