Data Patch on running servers

Hello,

Thanks to the AS team for today's data patch! But I wonder what parts of it actually come into effect on old / running servers. Obviously the updated cabin configurations are there, but is there anything else that changed? What about all those updated airports?

The reason why I'm asking is because my airline is based in Canada, and with the new data patch almost all of my destinations should have more slots - but I didn't see any changes. And is the "updated traffic data" valid for running servers or only for new ones?

It would be very nice (for future patches) to include this kind of information in the pdf that you release with all the changes - it doesn't help me to know the changes if I don't know whether they apply to my server or not.

cheers,

balav

All changes should be on the existing game worlds too - if not I tried to notice that in the PDF...

Well, I can guarantee that in Ottawa (YOW), on Aspern, the number of slots did not increase (as noted in the pdf) - I would have noticed, as it is my hub. I checked a few more Canadian airports, and I highly doubt that the slots have increased with any of them, since I found were a lot of slots with 100% usage.

Other changes seem to have worked, like changed runway lengths, added ICAO coded, renamed airports and the like, I checked a few airports that were mentioned in the pdf. But I didn't see any increse of slots in any of the major airports in Canada.

I also noticed that the side views of Tu 204/214 don't appear. Doesn't really matter to me, but the slots would be very nice :-)

I'm surprised - the slot increased changes did not find their way to the game server. We will have a look at this - also with the side view!

As we are going to have a team meeting on the upcoming weekend it might be possible not to have it fixed this week.

Okay, thanks for the information! I'm looking forward to the next update then :-)

Sooo - some more information on this...

About the slots ... try to book a flight - the slots should then be updated automaticly. The data is correct on the server and there is only the old value in the overview until the next flight is planed to/from this airport.

The side view had some spelling error in the filenames - will be fixed with the next data patch as this is not that important to make a hotfix for this.

Thanks for the update...I have noticed two minor things however: The takeoff distance for the Enhanced Version of the A319/320/321 should be lower than for the normal version. This is one advantage of the sharklets beside the lower fuel consumption and increased range which are modeled correctly. One other thing I find strange is the increased cargo volume of the Enhanced version. The OEW of the aircraft is the same or maybe even a little bit increased due to the sharklet weight, the MTOW remains unchanged. So it follows that the useable load of the aircraft should be roughly the same, perhaps a little bit less (in fact is it higher for enhanced version of the aircraft in the game, but I guess this is a workaround to give the aircraft more usefull range). The cargo hold is also unchanged for the Enhanced version. So I don't really understand the change of the cargo capability(of course on long flights/short runways the Enhanced aircraft will be able to take more cargo than the standart version, because it uses less fuel - but this is reflected by the payload diagram already and does not apply to short routes/long runways).

Anyway, I congratulate the team for the fast application of the patch. I think its really nice.

I haven't found any information about the takeoff/landing distance effect of the sharklets. My understanding of sharklet is the reduction of turbulence? at the end of the wings resulting in less fuel needed on cruising speed. Or with other words - more range or more payload.

Well actually, a Sharklet does not reduce turbulence, but induced drag which results from the generation of lift (therefore it is called induced...as the lift induces this kind of drag). Usually the air on the top and the bottom of the wing try to "meet again" at the trailing edge (in fact it is more complicated than this, but I will try to keep it understandable), thereby reducing the pressure on top of the wing and increasing the pressure at the bottom of the wings. In the outer part of the wing the distance to the wingtip is shorter than the distance to flow straight over the wing, therefore the air tries to flow over the wingtip thereby generating induced drag. It's a very simplified explanation, but I think it explains what induced drag is easily understandable. If you want more details check it out on an book about aerodynamics. Sharklets increase the distance to the "wingtip"(as the air can not flow trough the sharklet, but has to go over the top of the sharklet) and thereby reduce the induced drag.

So by decreasing this drag the trust needed to keep a given airspeed decreases (an aircraft in flight is affected by four forces: lift (acting upwards), drag (acting against the direction of flight), thrust (acting in direction of flight), weight (acting downwards) which all have to be in balance for the aircraft to fly with a constant speed at a constant altitude - so if you decrease drag you can also decrease the opposing force, trust, to maintain the same speed). Less thrust means a lower fuel burn off. The maximum certified payload has nothing to do with this...the maximum certified payload is simply the difference between OEM ("empty" mass of the aircraft) and the MTOM (maximum certified takeoff mass). There is also an other limitation to be aware of, the MZFM (Maximum Zero Fuel Mass). This is the maximum mass of the aircraft loaded with passengers&cargo, but without fuel. So if you keep increasing the fuel load at some point you will have to reduce the amount of passengers&cargo to avoid exceeding the MTOM. So if an aircraft uses less fuel for the same route the point where you will have to reduce passenger&cargo payload shifts toward a longer route. But the maximum passenger&cargo load on a short route is not affected, as this is limited by the structural limitations (the fuel required is not enough to require a reduction in payload). So basically, the difference is only in the diagram for distance/payload: The point where you loose payload shifts to the right and also the maximum range is increased.

Concerning the takeoff distance: As soon as the wing starts generating lift the induced drag starts to increase. So if you are able to reduce the induced drag the excess trust increases (just one example to make it clearer: Lets assume drag is 0,5 without sharklet, and 0,4 with sharklets, thrust is assumed to be 1 - so the amount of thrust that is used to accelerate the aircraft would be 0,5 without sharklets and 0,6 with sharklets - so the acceleration would be stronger). With more acceleration you get to lift off speed faster and thereby use less runway.

You also get a similar effect in climb: As more excess thrust is now availible the trust can be converted to climb rate (if the pilot would fly the same pitch attitude (under the same conditions) in a sharklet aircraft as it would be required to keep the airspeed steady in the climb the sharklet aircraft would accelerate - so for the same thrust setting and speed the pitch attitude and thereby vertical speed is higher-this results in a fast climb to cruise flight level). In the descend with idle thrust the drag is higher than the thrust, therefore the nose is lowered to keep up the speed. This results in a descend rate. But if the drag is less the difference between drag and thrust is smaller - therefore the nose can be kept higher and the sinkrate lower. Therefore the aircraft can start the descend at a greater distance from destination, thereby saving fuel again (engine at idle=less fuel flow than at cruise trust).

Conclusion: The takeoff distance is reduced by sharklets, the payload on runway/range restricted routes in increased, but the structural limits which limit shorter flights remain unchanged

Short disclaimer: I tried to keep the explanation simply so everyone can understand it and my ATPL theory exam was 3 years ago, so some details might be inaccurate...

You beat me to that one duo =)

Well written explanation in my opinion. Correct as that may be, the enhanced A3XX aircraft also have weight savings incorporated. This should result in lower empty weight (even with the added sharklets) which would increase the payload (as you explained difference between empty and MZFW or MTOW). That is probably why there is added cargo capacity, as the number of PAX is limited by the normal space requirements/emergency exits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A320_family#A320_Enhanced_family

see the “A320 Enhanced family” section, paragraph one. I hate quoting wiki, but I didnt feel like scouring the airbus website.

Ok didn't know that...will check the OEM of one of our sharklets aircraft, when I finally get the chance to fly one (right now, my company only has two of them, so not a high change of getting one)...I don't have the values for OEM here as they are not published in the FCOM (but rather in the mass and balance statement, which is in the aircraft). I mean from the structural standpoint you can fit a massive amount of cargo/baggage in the holds, 3400kgs in the forward hold, 2400kgs in compartment 3, 2100kgs in compartment 4 and 1500kgs in compartment 5...but usually the amount of cargo is limited by volume long before that (and in most cases also MZFM/MTOM concerns).