Defunct Enterprise Database

When going through links of old holdings, often times we only see the “Enterprise not found” page. I believe that there is a value in preserving at least some data regarding old holdings. Such data can be used by newer players to study, they can be used to model future demand, or even, they can simply be used as mementos by former players, cementing their legacy.

How will the Defunct Enterprise Database work?

1.) NOT ALL ENTERPRISES WILL BE QUALIFIED
- Since many players often reset multiple times, including all enterprises would consume a lot of resource very quickly.
- Only enterprises which have reached a specific milestone will be included in the database; e.g. at least 12 weeks old, worth at least AS 50 mil, etc.

2.) THE DATABASE WILL ONLY CONTAIN BASIC INFORMATION
- Keeping the same level of data completeness as the normal Enterprise Information Page would consume a lot of resource very quickly, hence, not all info may be stored
- Only basic information AT THE TIME OF CLOSURE/BANKRUPTCY will be stored which may include enterprise name, headquarters, stations, fleet (just aircraft type, not including specific aircraft registrations), etc.

Potential Benefits of the Database?

1.) EVEN PLAYING FIELD
- Older users are often at a more advantageous position given their length of time playing airlinesim. Older players have access to a greater wealth of information. The database can serve as a reference for new players to, while not necessarily have an even strength, but to at least close the gap between old and new players. New players may see old enterprises, possibly deduce how they succeeded or failed, and thus act appropriately.

2.) REWARDING FOR OLD PLAYERS
- Running out of credits and leaving the game for good can often be a saddening experience, especially for long time players who have spent possibly more than just hundreds of dollars in maintaining their account. I believe that keeping their record somewhere in AS can at least make them feel that their money was not wasted in the end.

3.) MOTIVATION FOR ALL PLAYERS
- To become qualified for the Database can be a sign of achievement while playing AS. This aspiration for a goal can actually motivate players to continue purchasing credits, resetting failed enterprises, until such a time that they are able to stand firmly, possibly being qualified for the database.

Possible Problems with the Database?

1.) INFORMATION CAN BE LEARNED FROM EXISTING ENTERPRISES
- Admittedly, the same information that can be learned from older enterprises can also be learned from large enterprises which are still currently active. However, I believe that there is still a wealth of information to be learned from older, failed enterprises.

The idea isn’t perfect and it may cost a lot in terms of resources. It doesn’t directly affect gameplay as much as other improvements like the new ORS. However, I believe that with a bit of tweaking, we can make this idea work.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

I remember that or a similar discussion or even more than one regarding this. It was said by the team that storage of data is not wanted as it consumes too much storage and also development time.
My personal opinion: I don’t need such database and cannot see any benefit. I have created a database for myself with my own former companies. A spreadsheet with flight plans etc.
I stopped it because I don’t need those informations.

Fair point, I guess not everyone does rely on old data. Personally I just really like reading up on defunct companies.

I do understand the concerns on storage and development requirements, and also the fact that at the moment, it seems non-crucial to gameplay.

Perhaps it can be up to a third party with a lot of time and a lot of appetite for old data :smiley:

Edit: alternatively, instead of a permanent database, how about a one week buffer for deleted companies’ information to be stored? It can help easily track down where large companies have been liquidated, thus helping players find new opportunities to start a new airline (similar to “The Big Thread of Opportunities” in the forums, but system generated)