Do pax prefer same airline to interline?

All else equal, when making a connection, do passengers prefer to connect to the same airline over interlining, or are both treated equally? I’ve been told that they’re treated equally, but when Stapleton was in sandbox mode, I tried setting up a regional carrier and found that with same set-ups and prices that it was more difficult to get traffic for the regional carrier on the same route that was being flown by the mainline carrier (same aircraft, same seat config). I didn’t do any empirical analysis, but it sure seemed to work out that way.

Thanks in advance,

o

Hi,

I remember reading on this forum that passengers equally book the two interlined airlines. Again, provided that all other variables (plane, price, seating, on-board service…) are the same.

Was your subsidiary airline interlined with the same interlining partners as your main airline ? Or was it only interlined with your main airline. In the latter case you missed transfer passengers from foreign airlines arriving in your hub.

Anyway, it would be nice to know for sure. I have also been thinking about setting up a subsidiary to serve the domestic/regional routes ;)

Jan

[quote=“sobelair, post:2, topic:3155”]

Was your subsidiary airline interlined with the same interlining partners as your main airline ? Or was it only interlined with your main airline. In the latter case you missed transfer passengers from foreign airlines arriving in your hub.

quote]

That really could have been it, although it was an issue in fake-Stapleton BNA where I had about 75% of the overall traffic and capacities on the subsidiary flights were down by more than 25%. The transfer timings may also have been less ideal, which could have been an issue. (I’m also looking at setting up a subsidiary just to get away from paying the 15% maintenance penalty for having four a/c types…!)

Brian