Flights outside European Union

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere: I have a follow up question. If my Italian company A operates LHR-JFK and my Swedish interlining partner B operates ARN-LHR, can passengers legally book ARN-LHR-JFK (B then A)?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere: I have a follow up question. If my Italian company A operates LHR-JFK and my Swedish interlining partner B operates ARN-LHR, can passengers legally book ARN-LHR-JFK (B then A)?

Since your partner doesn’t have the route authority, no. If you operated ARN-LHR, your internal connections would be able to do so.

Since your partner doesn't have the route authority, no. If you operated ARN-LHR, your internal connections would be able to do so.

I'm sorry, I am a bit confused now. The (Swedish) partner would have the right to sell tickets ARN-LHR-JFK on its own, no?

As to your second sentence, are you saying that if I operate both the ARN-LHR and LHR-JFK I would suddenly get rights for a Sweden-US route as an Italian company?

I'm sorry, I am a bit confused now. The (Swedish) partner would have the right to sell tickets ARN-LHR-JFK on its own, no?

As to your second sentence, are you saying that if I operate both the ARN-LHR and LHR-JFK I would suddenly get rights for a Sweden-US route as an Italian company?

Your partner has the rights to ARN-JFK and ARN-LHR, they may not transport passengers on just LHR-JFK, nor could you. They can sell tickets from ARN to JFK via LHR all day long, whether it is a connection or a via flight.

Your connections from FCO-LHR could meet up with your own LHR-JFK route and take that, but the way a scissor hub works is purely internal transfers, no external because an external transfer off a route for which neither company has the right to operate independently would be a breach of I believe the 7th freedom.

For more scissor hub info, see http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/2364270/