Fuel Hedging

Fuel prices fluctuate, and in real life airlines try to compensate that by fuel hedging. ie. they buy futures (eg. 6 months from now I will buy X amount of fuel at price Y). If you "guess" right, you can get fuel at a better rate in the future than your competition, if you "guess" wrong, you pay more.

You always have the option to buy at current market price, which is what we do now. So if you don't want to do that you don't have to.

Particularly now, that the stock market is disabled due to cheating, that would add another layer of business aspects into the simulation.

I like that idea.

this has been discussed before and it won't be implemented.

one of the reason is that this would benefit big companies over-proportionally. It is already hard enough as it is for a new enterprise to get its footing. if it has to compete against a major player that pays half the price for fuel, it will be all the harder to compete.

Fuel Hedging is actually on our long-term feature/idea last that we made a few years ago... like one of the things the game could have to make it "complete" based on reality.

But I have to agree with yukawa, it's nothing that would be likely to happen any time soon - and a big reason for that is indeed game balancing.

Fuel Hedging is actually on our long-term feature/idea last that we made a few years ago... like one of the things the game could have to make it "complete" based on reality.

But I have to agree with yukawa, it's nothing that would be likely to happen any time soon - and a big reason for that is indeed game balancing.

But that scenario is based on the assumption, that the big player always gets the price right. If they guess wrong, they will instead be paying a lot more for the fuel than the smaller competition that got it right or didn't participate at all.

I would assume the odds are pretty even, so there is no reason to assume that the big ones always get it right. And I don't think that anyone would be able to get a 50% advantage anyway, the fuel price is not that volotile.

I would say - there are other features which would be much more important to come than fuel hedging.

Stock market is not available on 2 servers at the moment by the way. All old worlds are still working with it.