How to deduct cargo units?

I cannot seem to comprehend the method the game uses to define how many cargo units a given flight can fulfill.

I read on another thread that the game uses blocks of 100kg for 1 cargo unit, but that doesn’t add up when I calculate things. So I decided to try and figure it out myself by resetting a test airline a few times to see how many cargo units each a plane would get for a flight (SIN - ANC). Results are:

Plane | Cargo units | Calculated payload (performance eval. check tool)
777-200F | 833 | 91099 kg
767-300F | 391 | 42855 kg
767-300F (winglets) | 421 | 45957 kg
A330-200F Range | 484 | 51922 kg
A330-200F Payload | 460 | 49366 kg

If you do the math, you can also notice that it doesn’t work out to a standard value. It ranges between 107-109 kg per cargo unit.
Would anyone know exactly how the game calculates the amount of cargo units a plane can take on a flight?

I run a cargo airline on Yeager and I have found discrepancies in this as well. I operate a number of Tupolev - TU-204C/214C aircraft and they are all listed as having 31,210 kg cargo capacity, but in reality the TU-204-100C has a booking capacity of 279 cargo units, the TU-204-120C had a booking capacity of 251 cargo units, and the TU-214C has a capacity of 298 cargo units.

1CU = 100kg is correct.
But there is two absolutely different ways of how things are calculated:

• old servers indeed do the simple calculation that “payload/100=CU”

• later servers with dynamic turnarounds use volume based calculations (note the m^3 info given in the aircraft specs pages)
    so - take 77F values - what you see in the performance check tool here is the gross “payload” (91,099) your flight can load. The net payload or actual revenue payload (83,300=833CU) is then the result of substracting the container tare weights from the gross load. Valid for all airframes that load containerized cargo.

1 Like

Alright thanks for the explanation! Makes way more sense now.
But is there a formula to the madness? As of right now I just need to guesstimate the revenue a plane can give on a certain route and am unable to properly calculate it.

How many m^3 does 1 container fill and how much does 1 container weigh F.E.?

Container weights/sizes depend on the type, detailed data is not available (and IMO not needed)
Still, if you want to get a good estimate, the following might help you:
1000kg = 6m^3
Under aircraft type you find payload values for three different cargo compartments (when applicable): bulk, lower deck and main deck.
m^3 shows the available volume, kg is possible revenue payload for the compartment.

• Lower and main deck are containers, bulk is revenue capacity (check the 1/6 ratio)
  • Translate the m^3 into kg, subtract revenue payload from and you have the container weights per deck
  • Translate calculated payload from the tool into m^3 and fill the compartments in the following order: lower, main, bulk. When main isn’t filling, get the ratio of needed/available and calculate revenue payload upon.
1 Like

Flights with higher density seat configuration take less cargo

This is in regards to cargo planes.