How to feed a hub?

Hi all

I'm quite new to this simulation (less than one week) and I have a question about hubs.

I read a lot of information on the forum and the wiki and I know that it is important to have departures and arrivals in wave, use small planes for small airports, etc. etc. 

So I have my hub H and I want move passengers from airport A to airport B through H. So I schedule a flight from H to A and return, and, after a the transfer time, a flight from H to B and return.

That should work. So, I  moved passengers from A to B but not vice versa. To move the passenger from B to A I need to add another flight to H to A and return. The  problem is that may not be enough passengers to justify two flights to A.

What to do in those cases?

Thanks.

You could schedule your flight A->H->B->H->A

I tend to base the aircraft in airport A in cases where airport has little traffic. This way the first flight of the day is to hub and the last flight - from hub

Hope this helps

Passengers staying aboard an aircraft aren’t subject to the minimum connection time. Meaning if your plane flies A->Hub->B, you could schedule the second half as soon as the aircraft is ready to depart, even if the flight numbers are different. However, if you want passengers from another aircraft for the Hub->B portion, they are subject to minimum connection time. In the beginning, it makes sense to schedule as many flights as possible so you can build up a cash reserve, but for future planning, it makes sense to build time between flights to support your connection possibilities.

What L.J. said is a valid strategy. Your flights don’t have to originate from your hub, you can overnight your flight at an outstation. Passengers will be able to catch the first flight of the day into your hub for the connection opportunities, and be able to connect back to the last flight home afterwards. (That being said, with the nature of the ORS system, passengers don’t book round trips, they book one-way flights and disappear into the aether once they arrive at their destination.) To make things a bit easier for us, they also don’t care what time their flights depart, and don’t mind catching a flight at 0300 (provided the airport allows night operations). Their only concern is the connecting opportunities to get where they’re going.

And with the overnighting at an outstation, later on when you’ve got more planes and are making a tidy profit, you can schedule a second flight into that outstation. Even if it doesn’t fly full, it still adds to your connection network, and could become full as your fleet and route network continues to grow. Your losses on a particular flight segment can be made up with the profits from other flights.

OK, I've adjust my schedule and now I have 3 "waves" of arrivals/departures separated by enough time for passengers to catch the transfer.

If the design is valid, how many time it takes to the planes to get filled? Only three days? Or there is a bigger delay? What I mean is, if after three days my flights are still empty, I need to start to investigate about the causes or is better that I wait more?

Thanks.

Luperco, if after 3 days you are not making profit on those flights, you have to start investigating:

- insufficient ORS rating to give you bigger share of passengers

- passengers not connecting because of inconvenient connection times

- not sufficient demand on the route per se

Hi Luperco,

I'm sure everyone would like to pitch in and get you off those training wheels as soon as possible, if you were to give your airline name and gameworld. Once we know where you are based, we'll be able to provide more insight ;)

Ideally, you'd see your planes full in 24 hours, but it can take as long as 3 days (3 demand calculations of the airport to be specific). As a rule of thumb, I tend to change the timeslot of the flight to different wave or smaller plane if I'm not achieving satisfactory loads in 2 days.

Hi LJ

I'm on Pearls. The company is Benem Air. Any help or advice is welcome.