Interlining?

I’m sorry I may be slightly ignorant of this matter but I have a few questions:

1. What exactly is the principle of Interlining?

2. What are the benefits of interlining?

3. How will my passengers be affected?

4. How will it affect my profit on that route?

5. How will it affect my Loadfactor?

1. What exactly is the principle of Interlining?

Interlining connects the network of two airlines. It allows passengers to book one of your flights, and then travel further with a flight of your interlining partner. Or passengers arrive at your hub on a flight of your interlining partner and then continue their journey with one of your flights.

2. What are the benefits of interlining?

Selling more tickets :slight_smile:

3. How will my passengers be affected?

Let’s say I fly to your hub, but I don’t fly to other airports in your region. If we interline, I may sell more tickets to passengers that want to travel to one of the airports in your region. That means you also get more passengers on your regional flight.

Mind you… when my passengers arrive at your hub, they need time to get off my plane and to find the gate where your regional flight leaves. That is the minimum transfer time. And they won’t book a transfer flight if they have to wait more than 8 hours before the connecting flight takes off.

4. How will it affect my profit on that route?

If you sell more tickets, you make more profit. But at the end of the week, you will have to pay the salaries of the extra network planning staff. But a good interlining agreement can be very profitable for both partners.

5. How will it affect my Loadfactor?

If you are based in Amsterdam and I am based in Brussels, and we both fly to London, Paris and Frankfurt, neither of us will sell much more tickets. But if our airlines fly to different destinations, interlining means that we create a bigger network. In that case your seat load factor should improve.

Jan

Just what I was looking for!

But be careful. IL with big airlines require a lot of staff, sometimes up to 100 or more. And if your IL partner expands, you need more staff, too

And you can interline in your own airline allowing your passengers to transfer from one flight to the other, also increasing your networking staff.