MD-10F

Does anyone know if the MD-10F is profitable for short(er) to Medium range routes? If so please tell me, it is important for me to know.

We recommend the usage of the performance tool and a calculator ... ;)

Dash8-Q100 & Dash8-Q400

I think these are the best options for short to medium flights!

Dash8-Q100 & Dash8-Q400

I think these are the best options for short to medium flights!

OP is talking about freight plane...

Yes and yes.

For medium it’s great.

For short haul, I only use MD10, if it has plenty of time left in my schedule. 

F.ex., I have a few of them flying between Dayton and Anchorage. This leaves spare time, to let it fly between Dayton and SDF also.

I wouldn’t buy it to fly short only. Remember the price has to be a little higher than on normal ATR’s.

The MD-10F FREIGHTER Freighters arn't in performance tool.

The MD-10F FREIGHTER Freighters arn't in performance tool.

It doesn't appear in the Aircraft Type Evaluation tool, no.  But every aircraft variant has its own Performance calculator on the manufacturer information page.  However, you can't adjust the performance calculator for the approximate age of a plane, but then the type evaluation tool doesn't help you when comparing old and new passenger aircraft.  You can compare the MD-10F calculator results to an ATF/Boeing-F/Airbus-F/Whatever-F result.  Just add in a margin of error due to the age of an MD-10F vs a newbuild aircraft.

Cargo is pretty much a try-and-succeed (or fail) tactic. Just start the route, and see if it's profitable. After working with cargo for a while, you'll not need the performence tool - then you'll probably know if it'll work or not, just looking at the distance/plane type.

K, thanks