MULTIPLE SUGGESTIONS & IDEAS

[font=“Calibri”]First of all, I must commend the development team and the visionaries that put together this game. I have used and assessed a lot of Airline Simulation games and must say without any equivocation that AirlineSim (AS) is at the very top of that list. AS’s pole position is well earned! However, as in all things in life, there is still a little room for improvements based on my experience and observations. I am an avid aviation fan with a background in software (IT) and for this reason my suggestions will be based on reasonable expectations and feasible requests! The list of feasible suggestions are listed below:

[/font][font="Calibri"][b]1. AIRCRAFT EXCHANGE FORUM OR REQUEST BOARD:

[/b]

This is based on a simple model. Sometimes a player wants to lease or buy an Aircraft that is not available for sale or lease. In the scenario where such an aircraft is not available for sale in the general market (perhaps it has all been snagged up!), it would be nice to be able to place a request or notice on the exchange board for any interested parties to see and decide if they want to sell or lease (perhaps even make a profit thereby!) In another scenario, a player is interested in leasing an aircraft that is available for sale but not for leasing - for instance, if I want to lease a B727-200 Adv rather than purchase, I should be able to place a request which can be seen by any and all players. Any enterprise or holding that may be interested could invest in the purchase of say, a B727-200Adv and then proceeding to lease it to the requestor at the determined or agreed rate! It presents yet another opportunity for players to make money and increase net worth!

[/font][font="Calibri"][b]2. AIRCRAFT MARKET LIST:

[/b]The Aircraft market list shown under the manufacturers page for each make and model is a brilliant and lovely addition. However the market place could be improved and enhanced if the following were done;[/font]

• [font="Calibri"]If it could allow sorting by the criteria at the head of the table (e.g Price, Year or Age, Location etc.)[/font]
  • [font=“Calibri”]If it could allow us to view condition of the Aircraft before leasing (some of these aircrafts are in conditions as poor as 30% and you can’t even tell until you sign the lease agreement!)[/font]
  • [font="Calibri"]If it would allow players to sort or search by location (it makes little sense for me to lease a Q400 that is in Auckland or Osaka if I am located in Africa unless that is the only DHQ4 available!)[/font]
  • [font="Calibri"]Incorporate a feature that allows a pop-up label that identifies an Airport code (name and location) once you hover over it with the cursor (this way, players do not need to keep clicking on the Code-Link just to find out more) this will ultimately improve server resource allocation and speed for everyone. [/font]

[font="Calibri"][b]3. AIRCRAFT TYPE EVALUATION TOOL:

[/b]The "Aircraft Type Evaluation" tool is an invaluable tool whose importance cannot be overestimated. It is one of the most brilliant features of this game and should be applauded. However, there are a few suggestion I have to optimize its utility value and performance. I will list them below:[/font]

• [font="Calibri"]There is a discrepancy between the FUEL USAGE data provided by the "Aircraft Type Evaluation" tool and the "Performance Check" tool under the Manufacturer section! This may be an oversight or it may be that the data source has not be unified. It would be nice to have unified data or assessment, as it becomes difficult to be sure of which of the varying data will be used to calculate your bottom line. Sometimes the discrepancies are sizably large too![/font]
  • [font="Calibri"]The "Aircraft Type Evaluation" tool would make an even more robust and useful tool if "Distance" and "Block time" were added to the information provided - this prevents players from needing to open another Tab or Window in the "Performance Check" page just to find out these facts. It is important to know this information becos the determination to proceed with a route could be based on knowing whether the profit margin provided is commensurate with time (block hour) or distance required. Providing all this information on one page will prevent valuable server resource from being used in opening multiple instances or Tabs![/font]
  • [font=“Calibri”]The “Aircraft Type Evaluation” tool currently has limitations imposed by the insistence of adding 'Age" value! In doing this, it becomes impossible to compare Aircrafts of varying age, side by side! Unless of course, one opens multiple tabs or windows and compares from window to window! This is inefficient and resource draining! I suggest the addition of an option that allows the “Age” feature to be disabled - this could be a tick-box or similar and it would definitely mean that Aircrafts performance will be compared using an average “Age” value internally or something like that! Sometimes, as a player, there is the need to assess if the use of a newer plane and the additional expense of leasing will be a worthwhile venture over an older Aircraft![/font]

[font="Calibri"]4. PASSENGER DEMAND STRUCTURE:

I have written extensively about this elsewhere in the forum. The crucible of the matter is that while Players who are based in developed areas of the "Worlds", especially Europe and North America, are complaining about excessive and unreal demand hence making the game unduly easy for them, other parts of the "World" suffer from a dearth or scarcity of passengers! The reality is that while it is indeed true that the demand in the western hemisphere is several times more than in developing countries, it does not however account for the great discrepancies in the game! The passenger demand structure is inordinately and excessively stacked against players who are based in developing parts of the world - especially Africa! [/font]

[font="Calibri"]In the game, the passenger demands on Intra-African routes are almost non-existent and pathetic! Also the game does not take cognizance of the pricing structure that is appreciably higher in Africa becos of reduced competition - this translates into a double whammy against African competitors! If for logistical reasons, the pricing structure cannot be adjusted, then one would expect that the passenger demand will be somewhat exaggerated slightly (to make up for the difference). [/font]

[font="Calibri"]Lastly, I do not know the precise logic or algorithm used to decide how much passenger a destination gets, however, I do know that it is relatively easy to decide how much passenger a location has by simply using the available data that ICAO/IATA provides on how much passengers an Airport handled in a preceding or current year! When I look at the figures for passenger traffic in South African (JNB) or Egypt’s (CAI), it does in fact account for up to 25%-35% of traffic in developed western nations such as LHR or CDG or MAD airports!! Unfortunately, in this game, those values are not represented!! 2010 data for Lagos (LOS) is more or less about 10% of the traffic at LHR Heathrow (which is the busiest Airport in Europe!) however this reality is also not reflected in the game!

[/font]

[font="Calibri"]I MUST HARP ON THE PRICING ESPECIALLY WITH REGARD TO AFRICA! As I pointed out earlier, in the developing world there may be fewer passengers but prices are generally more generous to the airline leaving them with a healthier margin (once again the game has overlooked this reality). For instance, a trip from Oslo (OSL) to Madrid (MAD) is 2418km and on the average (in the real world) and will cost about USD $204 (excluding taxes and fees). On the other hand, a trip from Lagos (LOS) to Dakar(DKR) is 2410km and will cost $428 on the average (excluding taxes and fees) and this reflects the general trend! I hope someone has enough clout to effect a consideration of this tweaks and changes to the game so as to ensure a reality check and a fact-based scenario for the enjoyment of all. [/font]

Hi Midas,

you have done your homework well and I have read it with much interest.

It is hidden well, but every server or game world has it’s own forum. That is the place where you can offer/ask for aircraft.

You will find these forums if you go to the root of the forum structure and scroll down.

[/font][font="Calibri"]

Doesn’t pose a realproblem to me. Price and age are related, so I scroll down to the age range that I am looking for and then check the locations. A pop up label with the name of the airport would however be a nice improvement.

As far as the technical condition of the planes is concerned… it would perhaps be simpler to automatically reset the condition to 95 or so when a plane is leased or sold.

[/font]

I fully agree with you. It is indeed one of the best tools of the game.

[/font]Are you sure there is a discrepancy between Performance Check and the Aircraft Type Evaluation ? I thought the former gave technical information (fuel consumption in liters) and the latter calculated the price of the fuel you need, but I never made the calculation myself.

Maintenance becomes more expensive as a plane gets older. Showing an average would make things easier but less accurate. I would be happy with both solutions.

The system currently tells how many flights a plane can perform. The leasing cost per flight is then based on the number of flights that can be done in a week. That too is an average. In reality the leasing cost will be lower if you manage to add a shorter flight to the flight schedule, or you may be able to carry out more flights with a more efficient maintenance contractor. I don’t know how this can be improved without putting extra load on the server.[font="Calibri"]

What I would like, is the option to calculate the price per passenger with the leasing cost included, or without the leasing cost. Now I manually calculate how much a flight would cost me if I buy the plane (and don’t have to pay a weekly lease).

[/font]

I have no idea how accurate this is, but I guess also countries with a fast growing economy like India, Brazil and Indonesia have more demand in reality.

In the real world airlines like RyanAir can turn a sleepy regional airport into an international airport in a matter of years. This is another thing the game does not reflect: adding flights and routes increases the number of passengers an airport attracts.

In the real world, cheap prices also "create" passengers. People go for the weekend to Madrid, only because they can buy a cheap ticket. But hey, I don’t know how you could include all this without using two computers for each game world. So to speak :wink:

If there is no competition, our virtual passengers will pay through the nose for our virtual flights. If we get in touch with all our competitors, and agree on a common price policy, we could all raise our prices and still sell tickets. At least in theory. If African routes are cheaper in the game (cheaper than in reality) it is probably because too many airlines fly in and to Africa.

In the game, you have the choice between starting an airline in the EU or in Africa. So even though the game is not perfect, you know there will be more passengers in North America than in Africa.

[/font]

It’s not only a matter of "how many passengers use this airport in real life". It is also a matter of "where do they fly to". And I find the game pretty good. Planes between Cairo and other Arab countries get uch more passengers than planes between Cairo and Greece, for example.

Jan

@SobelAir,

I appreciate your input and insight. I must once again reiterate that the game - AirlineSim is awesome!! I do not think anyone can take that away from the development team. They did an awesome job, period!

My suggestions are mostly so that they can have user feedback and inputs for the benefit of improving on the current game model. As you will agree, there is always room for improvement.

I did stumble on something very interesting - When using the Load Monitor feature, I discovered that there was a pop-up Label identifying each Airport as soon as you hover over any Airport Code with your cursor!! The feature is lovely and works just as I imagined it would. I guess that all they have to do now is to incorporate this same feature into every area where the Airports are listed, most especially in the market section.

As far as ticket pricing and my complaint, I have given some thought and I do recognize now and realize what the software architects had in mind! They simply left the price as a variable to be determined by market forces, just as in real life! I guess if prices are depressed in any part of the "World", it may be that there are more players or competition than the market can feasibly handle! In that you are right! However, it is paramount that the passenger demand structure data being used for developing areas of the "World" be updated to something more realistic and palatable!

As far as the disparity between the ‘Performance Check’ tool and the ‘Aircraft Type Evaluation’ tool, if you take the time to view the output in the ‘Performance Check’ tool, you will see it list the estimate volume of fuel consumed. In the “Aircraft Type Evaluation” tool, you will also see it list the fuel consumed in its output. The problem is that the two values are often very different despite inputing the same Aircaft, the same beginning point and the same end point! Sometimes the difference is huge! (I once noted a difference of 15,000L!!)

In the "Aircraft Type Evaluation" tool, it would be awesome to be able to do a side by side comparison of Aircrafts of varying age. For instance, does it make more sense to buy an older Fokker F100 or to lease an Embraer 190LR?? I do that often, however currently, it can only be done in multiple Windows or Tabs! Also, like you suggested, it would also be very interesting and useful to be able to calculate the cost per seat with OR without leasing cost.

In all, I believe incorporating many of the suggested ideas above (both yours and mine) will be invaluable improvements on the current game.

Regarding point 4.

It does reflect some of my own concerns aswell, when it comes to passenger demand and passenger base. You are absolutley correct that there are several things that attract and removes the number of passengers a region may offer. The game pr datum, is too static. It seemes to me that the number of passengers a region can create is soley based on the chosen number displayed as a green bar on each airport. I am sure that theese numbers are taken from somewhere so that they are close to realistic, but I wish it was the other way around. The "green bars" should represent the traffic created in the game, and not the passenger pool. The passenger pool could instead be hidden, and given a range that would match the number of people in each region. As the Oslo (ENGM, ENRY, ENTR) region, holds around 1 million people. The passenger pool each day could range from 100k to 500k a year, divided by 365 to create a daily basis (transits excluded).

Hi,

I have randomly tested three different planes on three different destinations. All nine cases seemed correct. Not perfectly correct, but I assume the Type Evaluation Tool calculates the amount of fuel multiplied by 0,647 dollar per liter rather than the official 0,6478 dollar per liter. As I wrote in my previous post, the performance tool shows the amount of fuel (liter), while the evaluation tool shows the price you pay for that fuel (in dollars). Can you give an example where the performance tool and the evaluation tool give a different result ?

It is a indeed a static world. Airports do not attract more passengers because they become busier, you cannot convince people to go on a weekend trip by offering cheap tickets, and the (airport traffic) data base is perhaps a bit outdated. But all in all it is a great game.

Enjoy the weekend !

Jan

Hello Jan,

I am not sure we are on the same page with regards to this issue - when you go to ‘Manufacturers’ page and click on an Aircraft model, it essentially loads a page with vital information and this page does allow you to click on the "Performance Tool" for an evaluation of an Aircraft’s performance. Now that we are on the same page, I tried 6 models of Aircrafts with different Makes on the LOS - LIS route! I tried an Airbus A321-200 Standard, a Boeing 737-700HGW Winglet, a Boeing 737-800HGW Winglet, Boeing 737-900HGW, a Boeing 767-300ER, an Airbus A319-100 Heavy and finally a Tupolev 204-100!! In each an every one of these examples, I conclusively observed a disparity that ranged between 35% and 50% in the stated fuel consumption!!!!! The ":Aircraft Type Evaluation" Tool always, …I repeat, always gave the lower and the more modest figure! This huge disparity should be looked into and corrected.

Midas.

Sorry, but I fail to see how did you get those 35% difference.

I just tried it for 763ER. Performance tool gave me consumption of 38301 liters of Jet-A,

which worth 25979 AS$ with current price. Aircraft Evaluation shows fuel expenses

as high as 25968 AS$, so the difference is around 0,4%, due to fuel price

round, probably.

Looks like the problem here is that the Evaluation tool doesn’t actually state which units are being used. For clarity sake, everything you see there is in AS$ (except of course the flights per week thing and the number of seats).

I am sorry Midas… I am not with you

I checked the fuel consumption for a A321-200 Standard on the LOS-LIS route…

• aircraft performance tool says 18.717 liter

• aircraft evaluation tool says 12.690 dollar (or 18.717 liter at 0,678 dollar per liter)

The same goes for the B737-700 HGW winglets. I did not check the other planes, but I guess I would find the same correct results.

Are you sure you are not comparing liters with dollars ?

Jan

Aaaaaaaahhh!!! …now I get it! I had no idea that the values in the ‘Aircraft Type Evaluation’ tool was of monetary currency! There was no indication of what the figures represented and so I assumed that it was “Liters” or fuel volume. I appreciate you all for your input as I am clear on this issue now.

Midas.

Problem solved ;)

Jan

I totally agree with this point highlighted below. Something should be done in order to improve playability in the game. I hope this is being taken into consideration and will be addressed and worked upon in the next update or whatever…!!!

[font="Calibri"]4. PASSENGER DEMAND STRUCTURE:

I have written extensively about this elsewhere in the forum. The crucible of the matter is that while Players who are based in developed areas of the "Worlds", especially Europe and North America, are complaining about excessive and unreal demand hence making the game unduly easy for them, other parts of the "World" suffer from a dearth or scarcity of passengers! The reality is that while it is indeed true that the demand in the western hemisphere is several times more than in developing countries, it does not however account for the great discrepancies in the game! The passenger demand structure is inordinately and excessively stacked against players who are based in developing parts of the world - especially Africa! [/font]

[font="Calibri"]In the game, the passenger demands on Intra-African routes are almost non-existent and pathetic! Also the game does not take cognizance of the pricing structure that is appreciably higher in Africa becos of reduced competition - this translates into a double whammy against African competitors! If for logistical reasons, the pricing structure cannot be adjusted, then one would expect that the passenger demand will be somewhat exaggerated slightly (to make up for the difference). [/font]

Just a heads up for some suggestions.

Segregation of slots for cargo and pax flights

Its pretty obvious in all servers that some players tend occupy the slots by simply operating cargo flights. It would be much nicer that there is a separation of slots for cargo and pax flights depending on demand for each airport.

Flight Scheduling revamp

The current flight scheduling is okay for me. But what about if we can simply assign flight numbers and schedule with a click of mouse, drag flights on each day or adjust its turnaround times if its possible.

Personally, Assigning flight departures with drop down box are quite tedious for me especially when assigning flights for multiple aircraft or assigning it to other aircraft.

[b][i]

Flights with variable aircraft assigned[/i][/b]

Self explanatory, Assigning a flight that can be flown with different aircraft. Timetable list will be showed as EQV (Equivalent).