Questions regarding direct flights

Hi everyone, I have a few questions and hope you could help.

Let’s assume there are three airports: A, B and C. These airports are located in three different countries which don’t have traffic rights between them and are not part of any treaties, etc.

If I launch a direct flight A - C via B, I believe passengers will be able to book flights A - C and A - B, but not B - C. I think this is correct, but I hope someone could confirm.

I need help with return flight C - A via B. I’m pretty sure passengers will be able to book flight C - A, but what’s with flights C - B and B - A?

Furthermore, I would like to know if AS passengers from airport C would be willing to take a connecting flight from airport A (which is a hub) to some other airport D? They already had a stop at B, so how likely is it that they will make a connection at A?

Correct.

Same principle… people from C can book a ticket to your hub in A, and people from B can book a ticket to A. But people from C cannot book a ticket to B because you have no traffic rights between country (airport) B and C.

AS passengers always prefer a direct flight, if there is one available (between C and D).

If not, they will look for a flight with one transfer (C to anywhere, then anywhere to D).

And if that isn’t possible either, they will fly from C via B to your hub A and then take a transfer flight to D.

Mind you, unless C really is the middle of nowhere, there is a good chance passengers can fly to D with one stop only. Check the ORS to see the available connections.

Jan

Especially at this point in the game when competition is low, most of us have pretty high ticket prices. This means that a double connection might end up with a negative ORS rating, which I believe means no one will book the routing.

I was under the impression that "Via" flights were technical stops, with no enplaning or deplaning of passengers. So I thought Flight 1 A-B-C meant you have to count on demand A-C, and the stop at B is only because the aircraft cannot fly nonstop A-C.

First Question / Topic:

I cannot find the thread where I read information suggesting this is false, that indeed passengers on Flight 1 A-B-C can travel A-B, A-C, and B-C. Is that true?

Second Question / Topic:

That thread also suggested that Flight 1 A-B Connection to Flight 2 B-C on the same aircraft can result in a connection A-B/B-C, even if the turn around-time at B is less than the transfer time… The implication being transer time only applies to transferring aircraft not flight numbers. I think I have confirmed this with some of my own flights in the ORS.

Assuming the answer to my first question is true, and assume are two identical situations for fares, flight times etc, where the competing flights are as follows:

A: Flight 1 A-B <same aircrafft connection> Flight 2 B-C

B: Flight 1 A-B <via flight> B-C

Will Scenario B be favored over Scenario A? In other words, do passengers prefer a via flight over a same-aircraft connection?

Thanks in advance.

to you first question, yes, it’s true, the can make single bookings for every leg , IF you have transportation rights on all legs

and on your second question i not really see the difference, because a via flight always must be done with the same aircraft

On the second question, most "real-world" models give a higher value to A-B-C on one flight number than A-B-C on two flight numbers, assuming all else is equal. Some airlines - namely Southwest Airlines of the USA - have made a lot of money in the real world managing their schedule in this fashion. The "real-world" idea is that if there are two flight numbers, you must deplane, and reboard to turn in your boarding pass. Also it is less guaranteed to be the same aircraft due to operational reasons when there are two flight numbers. When there is one flight number, you need not deplane, nor turn in another boarding pass. Thus, most "real-world" models would rate Flight 1 A-B-C higher than Flight 2 A-B connection to Flight 3 B-C, regardless of whether flights 2 and 3 are operated by the same or different aircraft.

Anyway, I was trying to determine if one flight number in AS creates any passenger preference versus two. Maybe when I get some more money, I’ll test it.

I have restarted my airline a couple of times while learning the ropes, but I think I’ve got the bigger picture. Now I am working on details.

Thanks for all your help.

may be in the real world, here it will make no difference