Routemap

I think there is some "bug" with older airlines

look on this one, a new airline in ASrouteMap (created recently)

http://www.asroutemap.info/RouteMap.asp?C=2194&W=Quimby

http://www.asroutemap.info/RouteMap.asp?C=44422&W=Tempelhof

even single flight routes are quite "bold"

an older airline, such as  .

http://www.asroutemap.info/RouteMap.asp?C=26374&W=Idlewild

http://www.asroutemap.info/RouteMap.asp?C=59618&W=Idlewild

.. and the lines are very thin

even the updates do not help with this

Could you maybe delete the profiles for my airline from the database, so I can re-create them, to get rid of the thin lines?

I would PM you the ID's.

This is not a bug, it's a feature.

The thickness of the line is depending on the frequency between airports. The thicker the line, the more flights between the airport pair.

Now if the difference between the smallest frequency and the biggest frequency is small then the small lines will appear thicker. If there is (and even if it's a single airport pair) a pair with a lot of flights, and all others have only a few flights, then obviously these will show in much smaller, thinner lines.

I tried to experiment with it quite a bit, but I can't make the high-frequency much thicker, while some airport pairs where you might have only a single flight a week will forcibly be very thin.

Oh, and every time you update an airline, it is first deleted from the system. So no need to delete them from my side.

But why would a single flight be shown quite thick here?

W=Idlewild&C=63530

Or do you mean to say, that the more frequency (in general) there are is certain route (e.g. A-B ), the thinner a one-frequency route (C-D) will appear?

So while A-B has 3x frequency C-D will be normal, when A-B has 6x frequency, C-D will become substantially thinner, and when A-B has 12x frequency, C-D will become almost invisible?

If so, a suggestion: offer enable/disable thickness. For me it's more important to see the routes (for wave planning) than to see the frequency by seeing its thickness.

Enable/disable thickness would print all lines with reasonable thickness, regardless of the frequency.

Yes, the thickness is a relative value and not absolute.

So if an airline has only daily frequencies, then all lines will show the same size.

If an airline has 1 airport pair with let's say 20 flights, and all other airport pairs have one daily flight only, then these lines will be thin, while the one airport pair will stand out quite thick.

Also the frequency is based on the weekly flights. So if you have a pair with 20 flights a day every day of the week, and one pair with one single flight the whole week, then this will be hard to spot...

Yes, the thickness is a relative value and not absolute.

So if an airline has only daily frequencies, then all lines will show the same size.

If an airline has 1 airport pair with let's say 20 flights, and all other airport pairs have one daily flight only, then these lines will be thin, while the one airport pair will stand out quite thick.

Also the frequency is based on the weekly flights. So if you have a pair with 20 flights a day every day of the week, and one pair with one single flight the whole week, then this will be hard to spot...

Thank you for clarification.

So my suggestion is even stronger than before: being able to disable the "thicknessing differentiation" and show everything with the same thickness.

Found a possible bug, the TA and TD pages reflect (work with) airport LOCAL TIME, instead of the HUB time, which makes it a bit complicated, it is necessary to add/subtract hours from the hub time.

Hmm, yes, the times are a big headache and I do have all the flight plan data in local time in the database.

As I am working on an updated version, I will probably not adjust that, but keep it in mind for the new version and see how to implement it there.

Great! For now I will just offset +1 hour in TA and TD pages

The maps seem to be down: Service Unavailable

Hi Matth,

could you please add ?L=X parameter also to RouteMapT.asp and RouteMapF.asp?

RouteMap.asp, RouteMapTA.asp and RouteMapTD.asp seem to be working fine with ?L=X parameter, but not RouteMapT.asp and RouteMapF.asp

Also, can you please provide a bit more "understandable" explanation of RouteMapF.asp? With some examples what to enter, because that page is really confusing.

Thank you

Added the L parameter now also to the RouteMapT and RouteMapF-pages. It is now possible to define the value directly from the initial pages (view/find) and it is no longer needed to add the parameter manually to the URL.

To explain the RouteMapF.asp page a bit further, here is an example:

This page is to find a suitable airport within a given time frame.

Let's assume, you have Superjet with a base in Chengdu, China (CTU) with an empty time frame of 360 minutes (6 hours) in the schedule. Assuming, that the turnaround time for the aircraft is 60 minutes you can fly a maximum of 150 minutes (360 mins - 60 min turnaround divided by 2) from your origin airport. So you would enter the following parameters on the find page:

Speed of your aircraft: 830 km/h for a SuperJet

Time: 150 mins

Bandwidth: 60 mins (determines the thickness of the donut)

Circle 1: 10 km (to have it out of the way)

Circle 2: 20 km (to have it out of the way)

Line width: As desired, I chose for the example 0.7

PictureF.png

You will see the above screen. The red "donut" shows you the airports that you can reach within that time frame. The red lines show the routes that you already serve, while the airports without lines are potential new destinations that you can use to expand your network.

Does that explain it enough?

Matth,

But isn't it the same as using RouteMap.asp just without the doughnut?

I got the same results there, using 360 minutes for total time, 60 minutes for turnaround.

178r54.jpg

It is indeed very similar, though it is slightly different.

RouteMap.asp will show you all flights, inside or outside of your given range. In the above case, it is not such a problem, as I don't have that many flights from Chengdu. But if you try the same from another hub, you will see the difference. But yes, in general the difference is not that big.

You can see the difference below with the upper screenshot using Routemap while the lower uses RoutemapF.

PictureF2.png

OK, got it. The first one shows all existing flights, the other one only flights within the limits.

Though for the purpose of planning flights to "new destinations" within a certain time limit (corresponding to flyable distance), both serve the same purpose to show you unserviced airports. It's just the doughnut page is slightly less cluttered.

Now it makes sense to me.

Hi Matth,

As of recently, ASRouteMap is very slow and frequently times out. Sometimes it takes me tens of attempts over course of several hours to upload new timetable and update the schedule, and displaying the visual map is frequently impossible (waiting for response from server). Is there something that can be done about this? Maybe we users can help with some PayPal donations so you can get a better and faster server? It would be a shame to let this great tool become unusable.

As the existing server has come of age and especially recently showed some serious signs of weakness and slow behavior, I have decided to migrate the whole box to a new machine. The new server, which is several times faster than the existing one, has been installed yesterday evening.

As a first simple measure, I have migrated the AS Route Map database to the new server. This should increase the load times considerably, though the update is probably slightly slower, as the writing of the flight plan is done flight by flight over the internet. I believe, the benefit with the fast load times should make up for that. In the next one or two weeks I will also migrate the website to the new machine and then things should speed up considerably. So stay tuned for a whole new experience.

There might have been one or two updates missing during the migration of the database. So please excuse and reload your flight plans once again.

So, the site has been migrated to the new machine and the DNS entries are also updated.

This should ensure that you will be routed to the new machine, depending on your DNS cache, it might take up to a day or so.

Please let me know if anything does not work as it should. Enjoy the faster experience... :)

Matth, Hi!

First Just awesome the route map before I knew it I would go country by country and right all the cities than test the route with aircraft perfomance, what I would Like to know is:

is there the possibility to get list like, from dfw all airports from 4 to 10 bars within 3000k(for a example) airports ( I know it's shown in the donut) and display a printable list ordinary list sorted by demand or something like it it would improove so much my strategy lol!

Congrats for the Routemap!