The two rating values in ORS

(I've searched for this extensively both within forums and wiki).

Considering direct flights, in the ORS there are two rating values. Apparently the second is always lower than the first.

Can please someone explain what each of them means?

Also, can you please treat the case of connecting flights? E.g., a search for SFO - MUC yields to results among which the following:

SFO - JFK rating 36

JFK - MUC rating 42

--(overall)--- rating 19

The first rating is the overall result for the product elements of the flight (seats, terminals and image etc).

The second rating is the rating of the product against the ticket price. This is your ORS rating and affects the order you appear in the ORS. Changing your price directly affects this variable, both up and down.

For connections, the first ratings are those for the product part of the different flight segments. The final score is the ORS result, and is affected by the price and the overall flight time. A tight connection can rank higher than a better product with a longer connection. 

Thank you! I figured it would be that, but:

by changing the price for a flight (everything else being the same!) I notice that BOTH values change.

According to your theory (at least how I understand it), the first value should remain the same.

Then why does it increase if I lower the price?

You're right, both do change.

If you go to the Flight Rating page for any of your flights you can see all of the factors that go into the product (the first rating). The price is in there too. 

The ORS rating takes the overall product rating and assesses it against different factors, predominately the price for direct connections, more overall flight time for connections. 

Even though both scores change, the effect to the ORS is the same - it increases/decreases if you adjust your price. 

The other feature affecting the ORS is your aircraft type. A fast jet will always give a better result that a slower prop. Whether that is based on flight time or a rating for the aircraft type I've never figured out, and probably doesn't matter.

Hi,

how the ORS exactly works, is the secret recepy of AS  ;-)

But I tend to agree with morefocus. The first rating already takes the price into consideration. That's why the product rating goes down if you increase the ticket price, and vice versa. In my opinion, the second (overall) ORS rating takes the speed into account... the time it takes from origin to destination.

That would explain why on direct flights, turboprops don't get an overall rating that is higher than 92. Or why the slightly faster wide bodies (and the old 727) can obtain an overall rating of 100 instead of 99.

Following that same logic, the first (product) rating is not that important on direct flights, as long as the overall rating is high enough. But the product rating is more important for connecting flights, where a good product rating can make up for the longer time it takes to reach the final destination.

Jan