Turn Times B737-8 VS A320

Why is there such a difference in turn times between A 737-8 and a A320? I use both on the same route, the 737-8 takes 90mins to turn and the A320 takes 54min. They are similar sized aircraft  so what factors cause the 737 to take more than 50% longer?

Bulk cargo load. Set cargo for container only and your turn times will decrease. Always check the critical path to find out where is the bottleneck. For 737 setting cargo for container ronly will actually remove cargo from flight as 738 has no containers.

The A320 takes cargo also so that still doesn’t explain the wide variance in turn time.

The cargo is also being transported in containers or on pallets.

Either way, have you checked the critical path of your turn arounds to verify it is actually the loading that is causing the problem?

So you are saying the A320 take pallets and containers in this game thus giving it a faster turn ?  Also where would you look for the loading times?

In real life, opposed to B737 series, the A320 series can be (and in the majority of cases) is equipped with a container loading system, AKHs, to be exact. This also allows pallets of the same base dimensions to be loaded. This fis a tremendous help with loading and offloading.

In AS, all A32x are fitted with those loading systems

You can find details to the turn around process by going to the scheduling page and clicking the non-blue area just in front of or after a flight leg.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, though I have worked A320s since 1992 when we first received them and never put a container in one ,we did try telescoping bins although.

I guess, it mostly depends on where they are being utilized whether an airline opts for the container system or not .if the aircraft is expected to fly to airports where there might not be the required infrastructure available for the use of ULDs or or if an airline wants to keep the flexibility, then they might decide against it in real life (or if they just don't want to pay for it).

In my experience working at an airport, only about 1/5 of our customers do not use ULDs on their A32x. With all 32x-flights operated out of MUC, the share is probably somewhere around 5%.

Thanks for the info, though I have worked A320s since 1992 when we first received them and never put a container in one ,we did try telescoping bins although.

Quite some if not most operators choose not to load containers (LD3-45).

I guess, it mostly depends on where they are being utilized whether an airline opts for the container system or not .if the aircraft is expected to fly to airports where there might not be the required infrastructure available for the use of ULDs or or if an airline wants to keep the flexibility, then they might decide against it in real life (or if they just don't want to pay for it).

In my experience working at an airport, only about 1/5 of our customers do not use ULDs on their A32x. With all 32x-flights operated out of MUC, the share is probably somewhere around 5%.

As you said AKHs, I take it you mostly see Lufthansa.:wink:

Is it really just 20%? I thougt the ratio of non-containerized is higher.

Must be more popular in Europe than here in the U.S. last narrowbody I saw with containers was a AA 727 when it diverted to our station in the 1980's

now that you asked, I felt like making a list. you are probably right that the share of non-container-A32x is higher. it still is a majority of ULD-users (not by number of airlines but by number of flights operated). those numbers do not include Lufthansa, though, but they counted towards my estimated 5%.

I am sure, there are some statistics out there given us more reliable numbers, anyway.

either way, ULD-systems in A32x are possible and, in AS, they all have them.

so, @paladin87, what does the scheduling page tell you is the culprit for the long turnaround in your case?

I still haven't found that spot you mentioned but when I removed the cargo ability the turn time matched the  A320 at 54mins even though the 320 is still loading cargo as removing cargo has no effect on its turn time. As for your list we have 180 319/320/321 in our fleet bulk loaded.

By the way Yukawa, do you use special loaders for the A32X, the loaders we use on our widebodies seem a bit large for them.

I can't answer that. We have sub-contracted the ground operations. I can't say I noticed any difference between the units used, so I am guessing, they are using the same equipment.

btw, what airline are you working for, if you don't mind me asking.

and go to fleet management -> the scheduling page of an A32x. you will see all the single legs, all green if it is an active and valid schedule. inbetween two legs, there is an area, that is either grey-green or even with a completely grey part inbetween them. click on the grey-green part (I think, only the green is clickable). it will open a pop-up giving you all the details you need.

Just stumbled across this picture:

http://www.assesstyourimmigrationvisas.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/CHL-3E-2.png

LD3 loading on an A319.

I think I remember even LH is loading bulk only on their 319, right?

as far as I know: yes

same with AF, for instance

in my opinion, AKHs on an A319 are a waste of space anyhow. on A320 and A321, they make sense.

I started with the orignal Frontier then Northwest and now ,after the merger, Delta

That picture definitely is smaller than a regular lowerdeck loader

Fascinating conversation. It sure would be nice to be able to equip 737 family aircraft with this upgrade. As is, it makes mixing 737/320 family aircraft within a single airline and route tough due to having to micromanage settings.