Airport monopoly

Hello all,

I recently commenced flights to Asmara, the capital of Eritrea, after seeing that it had 0 departures. While it is only a 2 bar passenger demand airport, I expected being the only option would at least give me some reasonable loads. But I have had zero passengers for all my flights, despite offering reasonable connections to the Middle East, Europe and Asia (I presumed O&D with my hub, Damascus, would be almost zero). Is this because of the way demand is calculated by AS? 

Thanks

Do you really have 0 passengers or just a very few? If you have none at all, do you have the rights to fly there? Are there the green icons in the Route Management?

Another thing you might wanna make sure is that you have as many possible connections as you can get. So the demand also depends on the time of the day that you fly there.

In general though I agree, if there is no other option, then at least a few passengers should be happy to have that option...

There is not very much traffic in reality either as you can see on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmara_International_Airport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_Africa

Only 100.000 Passengers in 2009. 

But even though there is few demand you should be able to generate at least some passangers to reasonable destinations existing in reality like Jeddah. Make sure you have the traffic rights to operate. You said your Hub is in Damascus?

Hello all,

I recently commenced flights to Asmara, the capital of Eritrea, after seeing that it had 0 departures. While it is only a 2 bar passenger demand airport, I expected being the only option would at least give me some reasonable loads. But I have had zero passengers for all my flights, despite offering reasonable connections to the Middle East, Europe and Asia (I presumed O&D with my hub, Damascus, would be almost zero). Is this because of the way demand is calculated by AS? 

Thanks

Where do you fly and what are your aircraft/configurations/costs?

I fly to many, many one and two bar airports in the (former) Soviet Union. Some airports with the same bars, I can fill a AN-148 (62 seats) or a AN-140 (32 seats) anywhere from 1 to 5 flights per day to an airport that has 3,000 or 2,000 weekly departures.

I definitely cannot fly from a 2-bar to a foreign airport unless there are *alot* of connection capabilities. Remember, most people flying from a tiny airport are flying to either the capital of the country or to a hub to connect to the capital of the country.

Asmara-Damascus-(whereever) only makes sense in a very limited geographic sense. My guess is most flights to/from Asmara on AS, regardless that your server had 0 flights, are to Addis Ababa.

Thanks guys.

I just deleted the route and flight number so I can't check whether I had traffic rights, however I did have one Y passenger a couple of times so I think that was okay. The flight arrived in DAM to connect in time with my evening dep bank. 

Dunno, I might try again when I have more connections. 

Hmm... Which server are you on? The mega airlines based in Addis Ababa might offer connection flights to the exact same destinations with much better ratings - It takes much less detour to most middle east destinations.

But yes, Asmara is a difficult airport to play.

Well, this is my latest flight of Jeddah and Asmara routes in Stapleton.

There are at least 33 passengers directly flying from Jeddah to Asmara, and 59 passengers from middle east connection.

There are also at least 35 passengers directly flying from Asmara to Jeddah, and 31 passengers to middle east connection.

AGEX 928.

Both are evening flights.

Both also showed that its useless to offer First Class service.

Try small aircraft to this airport. Maybe it would help.

airrahman.jpg

airrahman2.jpg

Conclusion is: dont worry. There are demands for Asmara.

Unless... if we're talking about Damascus.

(-__-)"

airrahman3.jpg

airrahman4.jpg

I find it difficult to fly from and to Damascus.

Both in my Holding and Subs.

The only thing that makes me happy from Damascus is their First Class Passenger who save these flights.

Well, this is my latest flight of Jeddah and Asmara routes in Stapleton.

There are at least 33 passengers directly flying from Jeddah to Asmara, and 59 passengers from middle east connection.

There are also at least 35 passengers directly flying from Asmara to Jeddah, and 31 passengers to middle east connection.

AGEX 928.

Both are evening flights.

Both also showed that its useless to offer First Class service.

Try small aircraft to this airport. Maybe it would help.

airrahman.jpg

airrahman2.jpg

Conclusion is: dont worry. There are demands for Asmara.

Unless... if we're talking about Damascus.

(-__-)"

airrahman3.jpg

airrahman4.jpg

I find it difficult to fly from and to Damascus.

Both in my Holding and Subs.

The only thing that makes me happy from Damascus is their First Class Passenger who save these flights.

Well, it does make sense that it is difficult to fly into/from Damascus...

You may google why ;)

Well, it does make sense that it is difficult to fly into/from Damascus...

You may google why ;)

Frankly, I still dont get it.

In AS, Damascus is a 6 bar airport, which is a good airport. Yes, it is in Syria. But why?

Does it only has certain passenger? I mean, passenger who travel to specific airport?

Frankly, I still dont get it.

In AS, Damascus is a 6 bar airport, which is a good airport. Yes, it is in Syria. But why?

Does it only has certain passenger? I mean, passenger who travel to specific airport?

I was just making a point that people may not want to connect with gun shots down the road!! I’m not sure if airports have been updated to reflect the new much lower demand in places like Syria, Venezuela, and (soon) Russia (to foreign destinations).

I didnt know that there IS that kind of passenger in AS.

I thought AS only control certain specific traffic which they published in Wiki.

I thought those 6 bar passengers in Damascus are just passengers who can travel everywhere but the number of pax limited to 6 bar only. I thought there was no connection between the will of each passenger to travel.

If there is a low demand, why is it still a 6 bar airport then?

The bar still represent the passenger, right?

Ya, it is based on real world data they can acquire + (correct me if I am wrong SK/Martin) "AS Magic" where they use a distribution formula if they do not have real world data.

I asked about SYD-LHR, specifically, since much of that traffic is SYD-DXB-LHR, SYD-SIN-LHR, SYD-BKK-LHR, etc...

The reply was basically we won't tell you exactly whether DXB's demand is O/D or including SYD-DXB and DBX-LHR which is almost all connecting traffic.

I hope that clarifies it, a bit.

While I cannot speak for AS team, specific O/D (including via connections) of real world traffic data are hard to get. I am 99% convinced the demand data for AS airports are based on passenger enplanements in a specific location, rather than particular real origin and real destination data.

In Quimby I am running a hub out of Damascus with absolutely fantastic loads. And it's still only about 40% connections, the rest is O&D. For example, on my Toronto flights only about 70 of the 190 pax are connecting through Damascus. 

If AS' traffic data were to reflect the real situation at Damascus airport, I would not be able to do this, as the airport barely functions in a civilian capacity any more, as I understand. 

The only annoying thing is that I cannot fly to the US. 

In Quimby I am running a hub out of Damascus with absolutely fantastic loads. And it's still only about 40% connections, the rest is O&D. For example, on my Toronto flights only about 70 of the 190 pax are connecting through Damascus. 

If AS' traffic data were to reflect the real situation at Damascus airport, I would not be able to do this, as the airport barely functions in a civilian capacity any more, as I understand. 

The only annoying thing is that I cannot fly to the US. 

So this proved that there is no connection between real life airport and AS airport regarding the will of passenger. As long as there is passenger, then someone can always put a plane and let them fly.

By the way, you also mean there are 120 people flying directly from Toronto to Damascus. How high the AGEX when it happen? Does it corelate?

So this proved that there is no connection between real life airport and AS airport regarding the will of passenger. As long as there is passenger, then someone can always put a plane and let them fly.

By the way, you also mean there are 120 people flying directly from Toronto to Damascus. How high the AGEX when it happen? Does it corelate?

Lots of Middle Easterners in Canada. 120/day may be a bit high Damascus-YYZ, but not completely crazy.