All-Widebody Fleets?

Out of curiosity, I’d like to ask if anyone has actually tried (moreover, succeeded) in running an all widebody fleet as that of SQ or EK?

I know that AS works differently than that in real life but is it theoretically possible to run it profitably under AS scenarios?

You can run airlines with all wide-body fleet, but it's more like an international division of the holding. You need at least some narrow bodies for you regional connections. Wide bodies works for high profitable short haul , but not for all. 

In a theory, yes.

Practically, as soon as you have a competitor using narrows, no.

The disadvantage in AS grows with aircraft size.

And the downsizing spiral (on short to extended medium ranges) no goes even further with the CS1.

On one of the last servers I saw one player operating only widebodies out of KWI sucessfully.

On one of the last servers I saw one player operating only widebodies out of KWI sucessfully.

Not even wide-bodies but also primarily A380s

If you have a couple of billions to start up with it is certainly possible but doing it from 10 million is not possible. It all comes down to if you can have a large network to support the somebodies from day one which is quite costly. For example when I started my airline in Barbados with about 200 million I quickly built up a network around long haul flights to Europe connecting to the Caribbean, North and South America. But this would not have been possible if starting with just 10 million.

This is the closest I have seen to an "Emirates Style" airline I have seen in AS, it is just 3 month old and already has an Wide Body fleet of 200 aircraft and he from day one started with long haul traffic instead of building up his short haul destinations which even today are quite in existent. His main focus is connecting medium/long haul flights to medium/long haul flights instead of connecting medium/long haul flights to short haul flights which is the focus of most of the carriers. As you can see he mainly relies on Interlining and unlike other carriers he does not care about alliances, friends, enemies or exclusive agreements.

By the way neither SQ or EK are pure wide body carriers, SQ has it´s subsidiaries Silk Air and Tigerair which operate together 54 A320s and 737s and EK has FlyDubai which operates 52 737s.

Nice catch there with that airline, Christian. Interesting concept.

Btw FlyDubai is not a subsidiary of Emirates, but rather a sister company, both being owned by Dubai sovereign wealth fund, same as the Dubai airport operator.

AFAIK there is no interline/transfer between Emirates and FlyDubai.

my closest encounter with Emirate-style airlines in AirlineSim: 

http://riem.airlinesim.aero/app/info/enterprises/13417?29

Nothing is impossible if you so determined, just don't cheat and break the rules.  :D

It's a holding, with no subsidiary, did not operate any short haul routes from its hub in an EU country, only long-haul with a few medium haul routes. 69% of its fleet are wide-body aircraft, ordered fresh from factory (i believe), and to make it even more challenging, it's established in an advanced game-world with reduced demand. Thanks to low AGEX, current able to maintain seat load factor of 58%.

Credit goes to the player, kudos for his determination, persistence and patient, building it over the year. So yeah, to answer the op, it is possible, if it can work in advanced world, should also work in classic world with more demand. Just don't expect to build it over a night and be sure to pick strategically located hub and some what popular destination so other will be willing to IL.

I operate cathay air in Otto, have 9 widebodies that give me a weekly profit margin of 45% so its not too bad.

Trick ive found is you make a LOT of money from Cargo

I am impressed. I have estimated that he has an equity of at least 650,000,000 AS$ but at 58% SLF it is possible to break even but making money is hard, I am sure that he previously had higher SLF. What I am most impressed with is that he is not cheating as usually when you ar so impressed there is at least some cheating going on, but with my UAB skills I can not see any cheating going one. Applauds to this player!

Credit goes to the player, kudos for his determination, persistence and patient, building it over the year. So yeah, to answer the op, it is possible, if it can work in advanced world, should also work in classic world with more demand…

Well, in AS almost everything works if other players let you.

You don’t need to be good to build something, just better than others.:wink:

I operate cathay air in Otto, have 9 widebodies that give me a weekly profit margin of 45% so its not too bad.

Trick ive found is you make a LOT of money from Cargo

Yes, it can make a lot money if you can fill them in, but if not, it will be a several thousand loss per flight. 

And Air Deluxe only recently started leasing narrow-bodies. For a long time after their start it was a widebody-only airline. I kept waiting for them to go bankrupt and then realised it was actually a serious player.

In Riem, after establishing an income with four or five 737s, for the next four months or so I concentrated only on leasing 787s and 764s. It was very profitable if you had lots of willing interlining partners and a high-demand airport. Without ILs it is very difficult. 

This is the airline hczeitgeist and Venturx are talking about. He also had a airline in Qatar operating A330/A340s, 747 and 767s.

This is the airline hczeitgeist and Venturx are talking about. He also had a airline in Qatar operating A330/A340s, 747 and 767s.

I'm very impressed.

Holy guacamole 

Yep when s/he liquidated the holding company it become such a dramatic change to the passenger flow the entire server... I think the liquidation process itself took almost a day.

AFAIK there is no interline/transfer between Emirates and FlyDubai.

And I never stated any collaboration, I just said they "have these carriers". I know that usually mainline carriers never collaborate with their low cost subsidiaries (Lufthansa and Eurowings, Qantas and Jetstar, SQ and Scoot), there also are some cases of close collaborations like Cathay Pacific and Dragonair (soon Cathay Dragon) and Lufthansa and Germanwings. Which I completely don't understand why, I mean any extra connecting passenger is extra money even if there are not many.

Singapore Airline closely collaborates with Silk Air.

Thanks for the correction it is very helpful to know ones own mistakes ;).

Dragonair isn't a LCC. actually sometimes Cathay has a lower ticket price on the same route compared to the Dragonair. :P  But you can have cooperations, like Jetstar Japan and JAL. ANA, Peach, and Vanilla on the other hand are right opposite. No cooperation.

If you have a couple of billions to start up with it is certainly possible but doing it from 10 million is not possible. It all comes down to if you can have a large network to support the somebodies from day one which is quite costly. For example when I started my airline in Barbados with about 200 million I quickly built up a network around long haul flights to Europe connecting to the Caribbean, North and South America. But this would not have been possible if starting with just 10 million.

This is the closest I have seen to an "Emirates Style" airline I have seen in AS, it is just 3 month old and already has an Wide Body fleet of 200 aircraft and he from day one started with long haul traffic instead of building up his short haul destinations which even today are quite in existent. His main focus is connecting medium/long haul flights to medium/long haul flights instead of connecting medium/long haul flights to short haul flights which is the focus of most of the carriers. As you can see he mainly relies on Interlining and unlike other carriers he does not care about alliances, friends, enemies or exclusive agreements.

By the way neither SQ or EK are pure wide body carriers, SQ has it´s subsidiaries Silk Air and Tigerair which operate together 54 A320s and 737s and EK has FlyDubai which operates 52 737s.

Hello everyone.

I was surprised to see my airline here...i don´t come here that often but this is a realy cool subject.

I run other airlines in Nicosia, under the "main" concept of an airline. I have started there 3 years now. When i went to Stapleton, I intended to know if the "all wide-body" concept would work. 

Conclusion: it depends...

i) location: if the airline is in a main hub, or in a transfer point. AUH is not that big, but can give me good connecting times.

ii) if you have real competition for the same market. If you have a solid stratagy, then you achieve

iii) if you have good LF. Having big aircrafts or small, is not a real difference if they fly empty. Choose good seats, excellent service.

The truth is that you will always need a smaller airline to feed you. I have one. With this airline, i can fly to smaller airports, more often and with smaller aircraft's, using you HUB at a maximum capacity. I'm also trying the long haul market with low cost prices.

I also have NB, wich a intend to replace all by the new A321. The WB will be replaced by the A350. In due time...