Another Malaysian 777 DOWN

This is a breaking and developing news

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/17/world/europe/ukraine-malaysia-airlines-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Earth to Air missile shot down 777 - MH17 Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur

dislike

Horrible.

So sad. I feel for the families!

It could have happened to any of us - been above Ukranian airspace more than 20 times :frowning:

Hi,

for what it is worth, below a link to the transcript of a phone call between pro-Russian rebels. According to this phone call transcript, it's rebels at some checkpoint who decided to shoot down the plane.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/separatists-admit-downing-a-civilian-plane-in-tapped-conversation-full-transcript-356545.html

I don't know how credible the source is.

Jan

I would be carefull to blaim the one or other site.. Both are interested in being the oponent as the bud guy. To keep one thing clear - this must have been a ground-air misslie otherwise one can't hit a commercial airliner.

Hi Sascha,

that is why I started with "for what it is worth" and ended with "I don't know how credibile the source is".

First of all there is no physical proof (yet) that the plane was indeed shot down. Could well be, the rebels have shot down several planes during the past months. Perhaps they now have missiles instead of shoulder launched rockets. On the other hand, didn't Ukraine accidently shoot down a passenger plane several years ago ? A charter on its way to Israel, if I remember well.

But I think (hope) neither the Ukraine nor the Russian government are stupid enough to shoot down an airliner. Maybe the pro-Russian rebels were stupid enough to shoot in their own foot.

In the mean time - as usual -  it's 300 innocent people who pay with their lives.

Jan

I feel bad for Malaysia Airlines...They are quite innocent in this incident and i guess they will be going out of business soon...Heard that they had already been in financial difficulties before the disappearance of MH370..now it's another hit.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims' family. War is good for nothing.

Sad enough, but given the current tensions, the political consequences might be even worse than the disaster itself. Premature strong statements and accusations from politicians, like that of Mr Poroshenko, could easily escalate the situation. As sobelair wrote, there is not yet a proof that the plane was shot down. If it was shot down, there are (in my view) four options:

1. The aircraft was shot down by the rebels, mistaken for a Ukrainian military transport. This would require them to have an advanced anti-aircraft missile system (e.g. Buk M1) under their control and able men to operate it. If they have some, this would be probably the most likely version. An ordinary cossack unit at a checkpoint however, as the phone call suggests, is unlikely capable to shoot down an aircraft at over 10.000 meters altitude.

2. It was shot down by the Ukrainian forces accidentally, either from the ground or by a fighter jet, maybe mistaken for a Russian aircraft. Ukrainian forces have already destroyed a Russian airliner in 2001 by an anti-aircraft missile during a maneuver.

3. It was shot down by the Ukrainians intentionally in a “false flag” operation to blame the rebels and/or Russia (as Poroshenko already did) and get more support from the west. At least there is a motive.

4. It was shot down by Russia. This is very unlikely since the aircraft was not even in Russian airspace und destroying it would be very stupid.

5. completely other story with a bomb on board

6. completely other story with an accident without the influence of a bomb or rocket

we know one thing: this queen of the skies became a grave for too many people.

And we know something more ... we all do not have the facts to be sure which of the options is right or if there isn't a 7. technical fault or 8.,9.,10. or a lot of other possibilities. So please don't speculate but stick to the facts as soon as they got published. Sad enough that 300 people were killed, don't let this be the beginning of a larger war.

I feel bad for Malaysia Airlines...They are quite innocent in this incident and i guess they will be going out of business soon...Heard that they had already been in financial difficulties before the disappearance of MH370..now it's another hit.

It´s indeed a very problematic situation for Malaysia Airlines. Other airlines had an more problematic history of accidents (remember USAir in the first half of the 1990s?) but the circumstances of the two 777-accidents are probably simply too much to deal with. So it will be a major task for Malaysia Airlines to regain confidence. I would "advise" the PR and Marketing-department to stop all marketing and to concentrate the efforts on valuable and trusted information regarding both 777-crashes (I assume that MH370 crashed). JAL stopped all marketing after their 747-crash in 1985 and this was one possible step to reduce the pressure by the public etc..

Ok I am from Russia and I know that Russian goverment would never do this. We are clever enough to not doing it. We are having lots of problems with Ukraina and we don’t need more. No one else in Russia can do it becomes no one could afford this. Then Ukraina goverment also can’t do it becouse they also have lots of problems. So if there is not a problem on plane and not crew mistake, it can be done by Ukraina, but not goverment or by terrorist. But it will be really expensive and difficult to do it by ukrain, so terrorist or problem, or crew mistake. But why this politics or terrorism. Someone has made mistake and becouse of it 300 people died. So make the werld better for this not repeated again.

I know that Russian goverment would never do this. We are clever enough to not doing it.

Despite all current speculations, I also have the impression that "Russia is too clever enough not doing such an action". Sadly it appears that the aircraft was shot down and it is important to verify the perpetrators. The situation seems to be very difficult in the region. Investigating a crash in a war-zone is not to easy and sadly the truth was and is the first victim of any war.

So make the world better for this not repeated again.

Thanks for your kind words and I think that many of us also think the same way.

This is very sad, 300 innocent people pay the price due to conflict and war. Some day the world will be better and not fight wars which are destroying people and the planet

That's how it ends when you arm terrorists. Horrible and makes me sick.

Ok I am from Russia and I know that Russian goverment would never do this...

Hi Vladimir,

I am from Belgium and I would never say that my government would not do something. Governments are cold blooded animals and they do anything if it suits their interest and if they think they can get away with it. Most people are good. People have a moral sense. Governments have many sets of morality, depending on the situation  ;-)

Apart from that I agree with you. Your government had no interest in shooting down that plane, so I doubt that they did it. The government in Ukraine had no interest in downing that plane either, unless they are very perverted and thought it would gain them more international support. If things came into the open however, it would come back to them as a boomerang, so I don't think they dit it either. The pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine don't have a motive either to shoot down a Malaysian airliner.

So if there is no other cause, the plane was most probably shot down by mistake. In this case I would guess the rebels did it... no organised (or badly organised) chain of command... more enthusiasm than brains... or shooting first and then asking questions.

Jan

PS

I know that the Russian government would never do this

This is a horrible event. Of the 193 Dutch passengers most were families with children going on holiday, as the summer holidays just started here. Complete families have vanished, leaving alot of empty houses. Unbelievable. Whoever is responsible deserves to be punished by trial.

@sobelair it was USSR and we have done everything to ask them to return and go other way. And now we are Russia, and we are having lot’s of problems.

And yes, my name is Philip

My personal opinion is that it was a trigger-happy separatist/rebel with "shoot first ask questions later" mentality. I also most likely think it was a mistake and they (rebels) though they were shooting at Ukrainian military plane.