Blocking airport slots using tons of small planes?

It would be amazing to see waves of 20- or 30-seat prop planes taking off one after another in mega-airports like DXB, PEK. Unfortunately, such insane scenario is happening in the game world Elliniko. Some of those major international hubs are now flood with the old, small, toy planes.

I did some research and saw this issue brought up again and again in the past months. It is certainly debatable whether this 'strategy' is cheating, but clearly it has damaged the reality and the fun of this game. PEK is an example. Why do the player use lots of tiny planes to run major routes, which is neither realistic nor profitable (like CGQ - PEK)?

In reality, I do not believe the authority of PEK would allow tons of small old prop planes to drain the precious slots. Could the game impose a ban, so when the slot availability is limited, certain planes (make, type, age, ...) are not allowed to operate in the airport. That is actually how they do in the real world.

In the end, I have to express my admiration for some players' time devoted. They must love this game so much. I would appreciate if those players could think about it to promote the reality and fair play in the game world.

I have exactly the same problem with Dubai. A particular airline using DH1s for flight between places like DXB-DOH. Its ridiculous and would not happen in the real world. I have made a complaint against this airline formally but as yet this seems to have fallen upon deaf ears (English term for nothing has happened)

I understand in airport like DXB that its a rat race to gain as many slots as possible, but surely it has to be done in a fair way as demand dictates, using the relevant air frames.

Doesnt this go against AS rules on slot blocking?

If you are using A380 and have occupied nearly all slots .... is that slot blocking too? ;)

But to give you a short updated ... this topic is discussed in the user-advisory board without a common decission until now.

sk, that is no comparison. The current situation @ PEK in Ellinikon is hardly realistic in the first place.

Moreover, this is a very cheap way to play the game.. It's crazy if a mega airport like PEK is already clogged after 2 weeks into a new game world, because some airline is using 200+ 25 year old prop planes spread over 6 maintenance categories, and can slowly upgrade their aircraft without worrying about slots because they own 90% of the airports slots. No-one can deny that this can be considered slot blocking if it happens in a way like this.

I really want to file a strong complaint against this way of gameplay. It hinders other players from playing the game in a "descent" way and build a "descent" airline.

But you are speaking of flights 6x a day - that isn't slot blocking in my eyes ... as always depend on the route etc...

“I did some research and saw this issue brought up again and again in the past months.”

so why again do we have to open yet another thread about that…?

sk, that is no comparison. The current situation @ PEK in Ellinikon is hardly realistic in the first place.

Moreover, this is a very cheap way to play the game.. It's crazy if a mega airport like PEK is already clogged after 2 weeks into a new game world, because some airline is using 200+ 25 year old prop planes spread over 6 maintenance categories, and can slowly upgrade their aircraft without worrying about slots because they own 90% of the airports slots. No-one can deny that this can be considered slot blocking if it happens in a way like this.

I really want to file a strong complaint against this way of gameplay. It hinders other players from playing the game in a "descent" way and build a "descent" airline.

This very much sounds as a modus operandi of our "Chinese friends" from (former/current?) Earth Stand .... am I on the right track here?

Isn't this the same issue as flying Let 410 planes between major airports (e.g.10-bar to 9 bar etc) (e.g. LHR case on Aspern)

I think it was set clear that operating small planes such as LET 410, or DH1 etc would not be allowed form mega airports into another mega/large airports?

I think it was clearly stated that small prop planes will only be tolerated into small size airports.

I run DH8-Q400 from GRU (9 bar) into 1 bar airports or some 2  bar airports as well ... I think the case was clearly made on Aspern saying that small prop planes will not be allowed from huge airports to huge airports, regardless if it is 1 or 100 times a day flight.

Sk, Thanks for joining the discussion, but A380 and DH1 are not comparable, neither in size nor price. Even in these mature servers I do not see several A380 clogging in one short-haul route. What your talking about is not realistic in either the real world or the game world.

Of course not - and it hasn't been meant to be realistic. I justed wanted to point out where the main problem is ... where starts slot blocking and where is normal "airline business"...

I strongly believe that as an airport starts to get slot clogged, proportionally increasing the the fees for small aircraft operation (or even for all ) would solve this, as the margins on the smaller ones would go into the red.

I've often looked at the slot blocking situation and thought that a progressive fee based on departure and landing might solve the issue. Flying a DH1 between two ten bar aircraft would be far more expensive that a ten bar to a one bar. Now yes, the way landing fees work on the newer servers do help to curb this but I think that adding a progressive fee based on departure and destination would help. For instance there are routes from one bar airports to ten bar airports that help with feed and are realistic, but ten bar to ten bar with a DH1 simply isn't, a fee based on departure and destination would help with this.

I strongly believe that as an airport starts to get slot clogged, proportionally increasing the the fees for small aircraft operation (or even for all ) would solve this, as the margins on the smaller ones would go into the red.

This! Just do this! This is the economic logic. When you can't offer more and there's an idle demand, the price goes up. In this case, the supplier is the airport. When the airport's slots are full, the price goes up and the enterprises feel obliged to optimize their operations in this airport. How can they optimize it? Using bigger aircrafts.

This is the best solution.

If an airport has a lot of empty slots, I think it’s ok to set a bunch o DH4 to fly there. As slots fill, the company must be naturally forced to increase its supply.

I've often looked at the slot blocking situation and thought that a progressive fee based on departure and landing might solve the issue. Flying a DH1 between two ten bar aircraft would be far more expensive that a ten bar to a one bar. Now yes, the way landing fees work on the newer servers do help to curb this but I think that adding a progressive fee based on departure and destination would help. For instance there are routes from one bar airports to ten bar airports that help with feed and are realistic, but ten bar to ten bar with a DH1 simply isn't, a fee based on departure and destination would help with this.

IIRC that is the way the new formula works. If you operte a small aricraft (from a big airport) to a small airport you pay less than to big airport.

IIRC that is the way the new formula works. If you operte a small aricraft (from a big airport) to a small airport you pay less than to big airport.

But still in a profitable way. What I was stating is that it shouldn't be economicaly viable to operate small airplanes into clogged airports, and for that there shoud be created progressive fees indexed to the ariport capacity index.

Yes ok - we have this on our list for ages, but there have to be other changes first around the airports too.

Thanks for considering longterm solutions to this issue sk.

Is there anything that can be done short-term, for example in the current situation in Ellinikon?

No, on Ellinikon we already have the first step in this process with the new landing fee - we have to make our experiences with this too.

Just wait until next week. I think much companies run buncrupt and we'll got slots and planes...

I was going to "like" this, but then I thought, do you really want to make life difficult for startups that only have small aircraft? The long term effect of high landing fees is that only long established players with their big aircraft will be able to afford it. You will stifle the game for new players.

I was going to "like" this, but then I thought, do you really want to make life difficult for startups that only have small aircraft? The long term effect of high landing fees is that only long established players with their big aircraft will be able to afford it. You will stifle the game for new players.

It's fairly easy for a new player to start flying with small to medium jets on old worlds, whether by acquiring them in the market ( old or even new ones for a much cheaper price ) or by ordering them to the manufacturer. In my view progressive fees are by no means an obstacle to start ups. You simply have to understand the underlying concept of the game and adapt your strategy to it, and to the existing constraints. 

Futhermore, in reality, few are the cases of start ups flying small planes into clogged airports, exactly because these slots are a very expensive commodity.