Connections at Toronto City Airport

Not sure if this is the right place to raise this, but didn't know where else to put it.

Why are connections at YTZ (CYTZ: Toronto City / Billy Bishop airport) not possible in-game? Porter airlines sell these quite happily: see the attached picture...

1 Like

As always, pleade send an email to support@airlinesim.aero and provide links to official sources supporting your claim.

It's not the only airport where connections are not allowed although there are some in real life.

The reason is as far as I know that if all the small airports would also allow transfer passengers the load on the server for calculating the flights would even be higher than it already is. Therefore there need to be the cut somewhere. We already had this discussion in the past if I remember correctly. I'm not 100% sure but I think that if an airport allows transfer depends on the airport size in AS (which is not the same as the bars for the demand)

Yes,server performance as goldnugget mentioned is the key. Another problem is AS has no clear rule on making airport transferable. Many airports have no connections in real world are marked as transferable. Take a look at the number of transferable airports in Taiwan.

And for these requests, my suggestion is never send to support but keep posting here. No one cares about such request for one airport. I have bundle of requests open. For example, a requst of calc CGO slotnum due to new runway there has been there for more than 1 year, even though I keep pushing on my requst, no single answer. Believe it or not, they just paste this in every topic: pleade send an email to support@airlinesim.aero and provide links to official sources supporting your claim.

I have not send another support email for long time now, you know, like send something to Mars.

Yes,server performance as goldnugget mentioned is the key. Another problem is AS has no clear rule on making airport transferable. Many airports have no connections in real world are marked as transferable. Take a look at the number of transferable airports in Taiwan.

And for these requests, my suggestion is never send to support but keep posting here. No one cares about such request for one airport. I have bundle of requests open. For example, a requst of calc CGO slotnum due to new runway there has been there for more than 1 year, even though I keep pushing on my requst, no single answer. Believe it or not, they just paste this in every topic: pleade send an email to support@airlinesim.aero and provide links to official sources supporting your claim.

I have not send another support email for long time now, you know, like send something to Mars.

Yes, the best way to get something done is to ignore the rules.

…

…

Or not.

Yes, the best way to get something done is to ignore the rules.

…

…

Or not.

Euhm... well...

I think I have needed support twice in the 7 years that I play the game. In both cases I got an answer and help within 24 hours or so. But I am talking about changing the name of an airline, and deleting another airline that was on the stock market.

I have also once reported a loophole when the second hand market for aircraft was changed. And that was indeed like sending a message to Mars. A few years later I have explained on the forum how the loophole worked, and the loophole got fixed.

So in spite of your sarcasm, ignoring the rules can sometimes help to get things done.

In the case of airports that allow for transfer flights, I believe Sascha has said on the forum that it was indeed a matter of server resources.

Cheers,

Jan

Firstly, my apologies for rehashing an older topic.

I’d like to get a firmer understanding of why transfers aren’t permitted at YTZ, beyond “too much work/detail”. I’ve been playing AS for a couple of years now, so I do understand the game fairly well.

As a point of comparison, a number of other 4 bar airports permit transfers. I appreciate the difference in “airport size”, but the argument that there should be a cutoff based on passenger numbers is simply unsupported in real life.

Representing Toronto City (2.8 million pax/year) as an airport prohibiting transfers is at odds with transfers being permitted at airports including Eugene (1.1 million pax/year), Fresno (1.3 million pax/year) etc… the list goes on.

Obviously, YTZ is much smaller in area, and hence has a smaller airport size, but Porter uses the airport for connections quite successfully. The short runway length prohibits most aircraft larger than 80 seats simulated in AS from using the airport anyway, so I don’t see the aircraft size growing beyond what’s realistic.

Porter has won a decent market share in the past years with their easier connections through YTZ in comparison to YYZ, and they’re especially popular for people connecting to northern Ontario.

Is the transfer hard coded into some airport size restriction?

Thanks for explaining this restriction more thoroughly.

Aidan

Transfers in YTZ are allowed on new gameworlds (Xiguan, Yeager) - but can’t be implemented into existing gameworlds.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s helpful to know. I didn’t know if it was solely tied to the airport size classification. All the previous answers seemed to imply that it was just was unimportant to the dev team.