DC 9

Hey guys,

What do you think about aircraft from the DC 9 family? Are they profitable? What seats should be installed in order to overcome the low popularit among passengers to achieve high ORS rating?

Thanks in advance

Mathias22

I operate them, I use comfort plus in economy and Recliner longhaul for business, best used on domestic routes but can operate short haul international routes but the margins are not fantastic. 

I would recommend replacing them after  a few months however as they can affect the image of the airline, I have begun replacing the aircraft, with newer  Airbus and Boeing models as they are more efficient, have a higher range and are popular with passengers. 

Looks like Highlander222 has left us

Looks like Highlander222 has left us

What do you mean by that 

AS mentioned in the other thread,you left Otto, right?

Yes, I left OTTO II ages ago but what has that got to do with the DC9s. I was telling him about my experiences with the DC9s with Turkey National Airways. Does it matter about the server

No I just answered your question, Highlander222.

No I just answered your question, Highlander222.

Now I'm confused btw why have you cancelled my PM why I was given a let off why do you continue to aggravate me

I thought you left the forums, your username looks to be disabled or something.

I do not aggregate you, I was just answering or tried to answer your question. Also I did not cancel your PM.

Thank you for your advice. Maybe I'll order one of them and try

Thank you for your advice. Maybe I'll order one of them and try

Your Welcome check out Turkey National Airways to see how I operate them, however may I remind you don't use them for too long as they will have a negative impact on your image 

Your Welcome check out Turkey National Airways to see how I operate them, however may I remind you don't use them for too long as they will have a negative impact on your image 

Could you explain what exactly you mean by long-term negative effects?

Could you explain what exactly you mean by long-term negative effects?

Well due to their negative rating they do have a negative impact upon brand image. In addition, their age means maintenance costs are higher than if you operated newer Airbus or Boeing aircraft. All of which reduces profit margins, therefore I would advise not to use the DC9s for a long period of time

So how on earth those who use IL-18D manage to have such tremendous ratings?

Maintenance costs are higher but with the cheap leasing prices, you can still make very good profits with old planes. As they are brand new on Otto II, maintenance is not a problem. Image is a problem but not on Otto as it is a temp world.

So how on earth those who use IL-18D manage to have such tremendous ratings?

Very good seats and best service.

Ok, so Highlander was talking about long-term image but on long-term servers - that explains everything.

I know that most people use very good seats on ILs, just thought that what Highlander says is more immediate.

So I think DC-9 and DC-8 here I come :D

Thanks for help! :)