Delays Question

I am replacing CR7s with A81s, so there were some overlaps in maintenance time. I noticed some of my flights are delayed . I want to know does it affect my rating? Is there a chance the flight will be canceled or anything?

Delays do affect your rating and also cause financial penalties. If your flights are delayed too long, they will be cancelled.

You need to make adjustments to you flight Schedule so that there is more time between flights for loading and unloading and maintenance

Ya I am on it, but CR7s were already flying at their capacity for the day, so it is quite difficult to reschedule a already very tight schedule.

That’s why is best to plan for switching of aircraft and upgauging to bigger version.

For example I always schedule my EJets on a 737, then switch the schedule to EJet. That way I am assured my turnaround times will not get mixed up when I switch to 737/320 aircraft. It goes at the expense of possible higher utilization of Ejets, because some turnaround times at certain airports are shorter, plus the maintenance ratio on EJets is 25% higher than on 737/320 series aircraft, giving you possibility to schedule more fly time on EJets.

So pre-planning is the key.

I don't understand why you switch CRJ to An148s, specially CRJ700 to 148s since the capacity is nearly same... Can you increase speed to make up some time?

CR7s have a shorter turnaround time than most planes that are even slightly larger, but nearly the same speed as those larger planes. That's why they're so popular for regional flights - you can usually schedule an extra flight on a CR7 than you can on a CR9/K, EMB or Antonov. But it becomes a pain when trying to upgrade, you need to think whether the extra capacity is worth losing a weekly flight or messing up your waves.

I don't understand why you switch CRJ to An148s, specially CRJ700 to 148s since the capacity is nearly same... Can you increase speed to make up some time?

I am operating both CR7s and A81s. Recently I decided to start long haul opeartion, so I am freeing a maintenance category to add a wide-body. I prefer A81 for their range, also fuel consumption is similiar to CR7, so CR7 is only superior in turnaround time.

That's why is best to plan for switching of aircraft and upgauging to bigger version.

For example I always schedule my EJets on a 737, then switch the schedule to EJet. That way I am assured my turnaround times will not get mixed up when I switch to 737/320 aircraft. It goes at the expense of possible higher utilization of Ejets, because some turnaround times at certain airports are shorter, plus the maintenance ratio on EJets is 25% higher than on 737/320 series aircraft, giving you possibility to schedule more fly time on EJets.

So pre-planning is the key.

I am using CR7s for 6 daily round trips between UIO and GYE. That is not possible to do with a 737/320.

I am using CR7s for 6 daily round trips between UIO and GYE. That is not possible to do with a 737/320.

Exactly. So once you outgrow that CR7 and you will try to switch it into something bigger, even CR9, you will find out you can't.

Look not to the number of flights, but to the capacity offered. Depending on your cabin configurations and aircraft choice, a 737/32X can seat twice or more than can fit into a CR7.

You don’t have to stick to the 3 ‘complimentary’ maintenance categories. The extra costs are designed to encourage you to use fewer categories instead of operating every single aircraft type that exists in the game. My maintenance costs, even with a 5th category penalty, would still be significantly less than my fuel costs.

if you're not using Africa as your maintenance, you shouldn't get any trouble to run more than 3 categories.

One of my airlines is running 6 categories now with mostly old aircraft like more than 20 yrs. it still works fine. The maintenance  cost goes over the fuel cost, but still acceptable.

Africa might also work. my Aero Southern is using it with four categories a/c. but you need to make sure you get a good load factor and use the plane efficiently. 

It actually evens out. My largest airline uses African, and I calculated savings that i would get by switching to Avia or Helvetic, and the additional aircraft I would need to get to accomodate schedules that would no longer with would wipe out all savings from maintenance. Those 25% additional MX ratio helps a lot to schedule additioanl round trip. Let's say 25% of my fleet would not fit and I would need to accommodate e.g. 300 round trips (with average 3 RT per aircraft, that is 94 aircraft). Average of 300,000 AS$ per week lease (incluidng staff etc.) that is 28.2 million.

My MX cost is about 83 million per week, so if I save 40% that's about 33.2 million. Not worth to do this for measly weakly 5 million.

Btw I currently run 4 MX categories(737/320/E90/787).

When i reduced my categories from 6 to 4 with Africa, it actually decreased a lot of cost and my margin goes up quite a long. but I never tried to switch between Africa and other companies. 

6->4 categories ...a  decrease of 25% total maintenance costs

I  know 3 MX categories is not obligatory, but I prefer to keep it to 3 unless absolutely necessary. Both my cargo airlines operate more than 3 maintenance categories. But here in Ecuador I believe 2 types of regios in not necessary, so I got to replace the CRJs.

Delays do affect your rating and also cause financial penalties. If your flights are delayed too long, they will be cancelled.

Does this apply to legacy worlds?

Yep, it does.