Dev Log Week 2024-22: Into the wild

With very busy weeks behind me, this week actually began with quite a bit of admin I had to catch up on.

Once that was taken care of, I readied the fixed arrival times for release, which mostly meant to adjust the in-game documentation and to translate it into German.

Before the release, I also wanted to increase the maximum deviation from optimum cruise speed, but I wanted to make it configurable so that different game worlds could use different limits or to generally be able to adjust it in the future without having to do a code change. Turns out this seemingly trivial task once again shone a light on years of bad software development practices (again, “thank you” 10-year younger me!), namely magic values scattered throughout the code, static services, missing dependency injection and generally bad code structure (I touched on this last week, keyword “untestable code”). So long story short: To make this value configurable, I had to touch like 3 or 4 dozen files. A tell-tale sign that something is in dire need of refactoring :smiley:

Development mumbo-jumbo aside, on Thursday I released the fixed arrival times to the wild, as we all know. The rest of the week was about gathering and responding to feedback and implementing some quick fixes to take the sharpest edges off the new planning method.

As mentioned many times before, the focus of this release was to get it out the door quickly so that people wouldn’t get hit too hard by changed airport coordinates. I will of course continue to polish the experience and to work in your feedback. Expect at least one more patch this week. Although a disclaimer: The Steam release is also back on the agenda and will require some dev work, so I can’t really promise anything.

1 Like