DH2/DH3 alternatives?

For those operating airlines within the Philippines, you guys have probably been all too familiar with Caticlan. By experience, its 950m. runway is best served by DH2’s or DH3’s. Unfortunately, at least in the case of Tempelhof, these a/c are in short supply. I currently operate routes from MPH using L4T’s in all business-class configuration in order to turn a decent profit. As a consequence though, I may end up pissing off other airlines for using up the limited slots available for 12 seaters. I was just wondering what are the other alternatives for serving MPH other than the DH2/3?

The Dash 7 maybe.

I truly recommend the ATR 42-600 and ATR 72-600.

ATRs are good, but not so good on short strips

The ATR’s are quite good, I operate both AT5 and AT7, however the ATR 42’s don’t have STOL capabilities, I will consider the Dash-7 though. Anymore ideas guys? Thanks

Might be worth looking at the RJ70. It will not operate full but will carry more than the Dash7 and gives you more alternatives.

I´am operating a dozen of Viking DHC-6 for short runways on the British Isles (esp. Scottish small islands, Hebrides, Faroer, St.Mary etc.).

They are not an equal replacment for the DH2/3 because there only 19 seats on board, but on the other side you can serve runways with a lenght down to 365m! And its still in production ;)

You can make profit with them (particularly when theres no competition from and to those small airports), but its not so easy and the margin is very small. I decided to buy most of my planes.

If you really need the 400 m runway capabilities of the Twin Otter, there's no alternative to those indeed. But for all other cases, the LET's operate with two thirds of the seat costs, twice the range and half the price. For the Avro's, I can't say how it looks like on Tempelhof, but on Gatow there's exactly one (!) RJ70 in existence and there is one airline which posesses two thirds of all RJ85 and RJ100. So those unicorns aren't a particularly good option. The Dash 7 is a good call, but pretty old (same for the Shorts 360).

Antonov AN-38s are slightly larger and can be ordered new, but lose to the LET in every aspect. If the slot situation is not too urgent in MPH, just continue using them. Or ask one of the bigger operators of the DH1/2/3 of they got a few spare. :D

but on Gatow there's exactly one (!) RJ70 in existence and there is one airline which posesses two thirds of all RJ85 and RJ100. 

On Stapleton one airline posses all of the Avros and still misusing them. CRJs and an 148s would have been lot more efficient on the routes that he uses them on. I belive that avros are only good if you use the on appropriate short runway routes otherwise there are many other alternatives and old aircraft are generally not that good.

On Stapleton one airline posses all of the Avros and still misusing them. CRJs and an 148s would have been lot more efficient on the routes that he uses them on. I belive that avros are only good if you use the on appropriate short runway routes otherwise there are many other alternatives and old aircraft are generally not that good.

Lufthansa Cityline, Brussels Airlines, Swiss would all disagree with you. :D

They all used them dispite the runways in Europe are all long enough to accept CRJs full performance operations for decades... :ph34r: Also some people like older, unusual planes - MD-80, 737-200, 727-200, 747SP, 747 Classics, 757-300, DC-8-50/60, MD-11...  :wub:  - even if they are not as efficient! No need to be angry at those people.  :unsure: