Disable cargo

Hello,

I am thinking of flying some 737-700s but I would like to fly them whit passagers only as the 3 cargo units would never be profitbale. I would suggest having the posibility of not flying any cargo at all on that route and because of that I would not need to hire a cargo controller.

Example:

I am flying KUL-KCH 3xweekly, whit the standard cargo price that would make a income of 747 dollars weekly. I then need to pay the cargo controller at KCH 580 dollars weekly and my cargo handling costs of 225 dollars weekly, so I am loosing 58. Instead of loosing 58 dollars I could have lost 0, and there is the risk that the not all cargo units would be booked.

The example was just a random pick of airports. On stapleton I fly the route 196xweekly mostly whit A321s.  

Conclusion: Having a option of "disable cargo" and "enable cargo" in the inventory for each route and then a cargo controller will not be hired when you activate the route.

Christian

P.S I am back now and gone again on sunday.

Well, for 737-700s, you can simply use 600s since it has no cargo as default. 

It would still be nice to have non-cargo flights since i'm running 747 on domestic routes, and the empty cargo area costs a lot.

Well, for 737-700s, you can simply use 600s since it has no cargo as default. 

The 600s are much less efficient then the 700s, and a E195 are muchg bettre then the 737-600s or A318s. I want something between a E195 and A320 and the A319s are not as efficient as the 737-700s. I still operate some A319s which I managed to get at a good price but as brand new they are not that effective whit the current low fuel price.

I did not meen taking away the cargo area of a individual aircraft, I meent not leting it be booked on a specific flight and that way not hiring a cargo controller.

Are you really talking about saving roughly 0.1% of your total revenue through removing cargo controller? (The 0.1% not even include the upside in terms of cargo revenue, even if little.)

I need something in that scale to upgrade my E195s on some routes and I am thinking of placing an order for 60 737-700s most of them will only fly 1 time daily to a destination and I see that cargo controller as redundat. I would be happier whit A319Es but I can not wait untill a massive enterprise is falling and even if it does I will take them all.

Do the maths and you'll see, that the cargo controllers are the least that influence your bottom line. For the 737 you roughly have to have a 16% load factor to break even. I guess you'll make that. All other costs are capacity costs you can't safe.

I am not talking about the passagers at all (forget them). I am talking just about the cargo which will come in losses even if it is 100% booked at stadard price.

http://www.airlinesim.aero/blog/2015/04/11/dynamic-turnaround-delays/

You could decide to never accept cargo on your flights so you don’t have to worry about this step during turnaround.

It seems the option to disable cargo is planned for the future, not sure if it will affect the cargo controller cost though...

http://www.airlinesim.aero/blog/2015/04/11/dynamic-turnaround-delays/

It seems the option to disable cargo is planned for the future, not sure if it will affect the cargo controller cost though...

Just note that the options mentioned in the blog post will not be available from the get-go of the turnaround/delay feature. They are merely examples I listed to show what the new system will allow. That said, with the switch to more booking and service classes - one of the next big features on the roadmap - you will probably be able to explicitly select the classes you want to offer, so you could simply remove any cargo classes for a certain airport pair and your flights on that pair would then operate without any cargo capacity offered.

I am not talking about the passagers at all (forget them). I am talking just about the cargo which will come in losses even if it is 100% booked at stadard price.

I am talking about the cargo controllers as well. Have a look at the cost shown in the personnel management and compare it to your income statement. Or have a closer look into the individual flight calculation. It is not a loss, as there are costs attributed to cargo that would without cargo be attributed to passengers. This misunderstanding of cost attribution has been discussed numerous times in the past in this forum.

I am talking about the cargo controllers as well. Have a look at the cost shown in the personnel management and compare it to your income statement. Or have a closer look into the individual flight calculation. It is not a loss, as there are costs attributed to cargo that would without cargo be attributed to passengers. This misunderstanding of cost attribution has been discussed numerous times in the past in this forum.

I did not mention them. My 58 dollars loss that I demonstrated is only the cargo controller and the cargo handling.

The handling only occurs if you've actually transported cargo. If the price is to low to cover the handling costs, that seems to be wrong. So how much is the cost for the controller himself? This plus overheads is the only additional cost you have for offering cargo. I really doubt, that the gain through cargo revenue doesn't cover the overall personnel costs for the cargo controller. But even if, how much is it?

I am sure he will run some numbers but the cargo controller let’s say 800 AS per week, with 7 flights that’s 114 AS per flight, if he has 3 cargo units then this is 38 AS per unit and add 25 AS handling, that is 63 AS. There are some routes that cost as low as 50 AS in cargo on legacy servers, maybe even less. I can well see where the loss CBE writes about comes from.

Ok, I got your point. Cargo controllers actually get about 550-600/week, but still with only 1 flight / day its 85 per flight or 28 per unit. But then you only consider the outbound and not the inbound-flight, where a cargo controller should be rather about 1-5 $/CU. Looking at the average it's then c. 17 AS$ for that once a day flight. (+ handling 42 AS $) ... then consider the feeder-effect .. I still doubt, that there are real savings in this matter. 

Just note that the options mentioned in the blog post will not be available from the get-go of the turnaround/delay feature. They are merely examples I listed to show what the new system will allow. 

Thanks, I understand that. Sorry if my post generated confusion.  :)

Ok, I got your point. Cargo controllers actually get about 550-600/week, but still with only 1 flight / day its 85 per flight or 28 per unit. But then you only consider the outbound and not the inbound-flight, where a cargo controller should be rather about 1-5 $/CU. Looking at the average it's then c. 17 AS$ for that once a day flight. (+ handling 42 AS $) ... then consider the feeder-effect .. I still doubt, that there are real savings in this matter. 

I fly the 737-700 3 times weekly to from KUL to KCH all fully booked whit stadard price cargo price being 83. My revenue in cargo for the week would be 747 dollars and my expenses (cargo controller+ cargo handling) would be 805 dollars for the entire week, 747-80558. My total loss in one week is 58 dollars. 

I did only count the expenses at KCH (cargo controller and handling) the return flight (KCH-KUL) will pay the expenses at KUL being cargo controller and handling there, that flight will also loose 58 dollars every week, so in total the route is loosing 116 dollars every week whitout counting fuel, landing fees, other staff, etc.

This is only an example. Forget everything whit passagers.

Ok ... I mean if your schedule consists a lot of less 7-times/wk destinations, you are partly right. However, I guess you've got a hub in KUL, thus the cost attributed by cargo controllers in KUL for the outbound flight should be far less, with the result for this direction probably being positive.

Now think about onward connections and positive network effects and again, those connections might contribute to your result.

I agree, there might be a remainder of flights that are negative for cargo .. but how much is it really, that you finally can save?

True that, say with 100 destinations where this happens that's 11600 AS$ per week. Really an irrelevant amount. I guess CBE just wanted to point out absurdity of cargo in such situation.

True that, say with 100 destinations where this happens that's 11600 AS$ per week. Really an irrelevant amount. I guess CBS just wanted to point out absurdity of cargo in such situation.

That is right. I wanted aswell to point out you can make less money whit cargo then without it.

That is right. I wanted aswell to point out you can make less money whit cargo then without it.

And if you don't carry any cargo because the route has very little demand or competition by cargo airlines is fierce, you pay the cargo controller but carry no cargo.