Do you think the Boeing 787 will be a failure

What I mean will it be a profitable airliner or not

The 787 Is a rather complicated subject: For Boeing it won’t pay off as long as they don’t sell sime 2-300 more of them at the real price, the first few hundred dreamliners were sold to thge airlines at ridiculously low costs. Every one of the first 200 planes costs boeing about 150 million because of all the structural repairs, the cheap price they were sold for and the compensations for delay.

For the airlines I believe it will at some point definetely pay off, but only when Boeing manages to get the overweight problems solved which are obvious in the first few dozen planes.

Overall: voted NO, because the plane will make a difference in fuel consumption and operating costs in the future, but it will still take its time until the first real numbers are officially published by airlines.

As of right now I say its a success in allowing airlines opening new routes to far off destinations in which the 777 or 380 would be to large and the 330 and 767 don’t have the range. United is going to use a 787 from Houston to Auckland non-stop. Also All Nippon is also establishing a route from Tokyo to Seattle and San Jose, California using the 787.

Maybe, it may go the way of the 737 a poor product until it is changed by Boeing, but I don’t know if Boeing would take that risk again. Tough question.

Maybe, it may go the way of the 737 a poor product until it is changed by Boeing, but I don't know if Boeing would take that risk again. Tough question.

Different story... the 737-100 didnt sell all that well, and really suffered from performance issues (the tech. problems weren't really the problem) 

The 787 actually isnt that poor, and although they suffered major problems with the plane, airlines like Ethiopian, ANA and JAL have indicated to be very happy with the comfort, cost savings and feedback from pax!

Hi,

I think Boeing included too many new features in the 787. An other problem is that they increased outsourcing, giving control over many processes to suppliers. From the economic point of view the 787 is very good. From the system design point of view the aircraft is extremly advanced, having many features which are not included in any other aircraft. I think when the inital problems are sorted out the 787 will be a very sucessfull aircraft, it had more orders prior to first flight than any other widebody.

Very profitable, only has some start up problems, which all aircraft have.

It seams going well at the minute. Boeing is hurting it with the new B777-8X and B777-9X. its a direct competitor with the 787

Not really, The 777-X Series is WAY too much plane for many routes that the 787 will be good for, and what the 777 might compete with is the A340, but Boeing likes that. The 777 wouldn't be profitable if only 50% full, but a 787 80% full, of course!. The 787 is, in my mind a longer ranged (and more fuel efficient) successor to the 757. In my mind of course, it has many differences but the idea for a long ranged plane that isn't HUGE is still there.

i thought the replacement 757 was the 737-900 and the boeing 787-3 (cancelled)

Officially, I think so, but the 787 seems more like the 75' than the 73-9.

did you see it got grounded again

I did not see that, then again, all aircraft have problems when they start production.

Of course not. The 787 launch was an unmitigated disaster, but the ship's been steadied now and we'll be able to see the full economic effects of the 787 in the next few years. Rarely has there been such a game changer in the airline world. Airlines can fly longer, thinner routes than ever before and more O&D focused long-haul flights (e.g. NRT-SJC). Both United and ANA's most profitable international routes are operated by 787s. Without the 787, Boeing's future in the commercial airliner industry wouldn't look great, but this is the only thing keeping them in the game at the moment.

Officially, I think so, but the 787 seems more like the 75' than the 73-9.

The 737-900ER is the replacement for the 757, although most people would say the 757 is a more comfortable plane. The 787 is a 767 replacement.