Ground Network

Good day everybody,

I got a question on my mind concerning the use of Ground Network.

I plan to do a Cargo route from Paris to London, and then have some regional planes dispatch /feed the rest of England from the capital. Though as you can guess, Heathrow is very crowded, and it’s not a good plan to make my regional flights start from here. But just nearby you find London Stansted, with a lot of free slots and a more than decent Cargo demand.

I was wondering how much time you had to count for a transfer flight for Cargo, between London Heathrow and London Stansted, knowing that both are linked via Ground Network.

I know that some servers don’t use ground network, but i’d still want to know the general idea for transfer times using that system.

Thanks!

if you mean, if you can access the cargo "generated" at heathrow, there is no time limit. the ground network has no limitation of time.

if you mean the transfer time, if flight A arrives at Heathrow and flight B leaves Stansted, you have to take the transfer time at heathrow plus the transfer time at stansted plus the actual travel time between heathrow and stansted.

if you mean, how long it takes one of your aircraft to fly from heathrow to stansted, be adviced that his is only allowed on servers with diasabled ground networks.

That’s the second option ^^

Thanks for the answer.

I guess that’s wrong or I misundestand it…

You can not fly to LHR and your feeder flight arrive/depart at STN - there won’t be a transportation between these two airports.

What’s the use of the Ground network so?

Ground network allows cargo “generated” at STN to be transported from LHR. Becuase te ground network is represented by an undesirable connection, you don’t want to rely on it as part of your network (you can only do so by reducing your fares dramatically)

Hello again :P

I got an other question, not concerning ground network but that doesn’t needs a new topic.

It once again concerns cargos.

I got a plane leaving A at 00:00 for B , and an other plane arriving from C to A at 05:00. Knowing that a cargo wants to go from C to B , and that my next flight is at 00:00 the next day, will it wait for my plane or take the first possible one?

If i’m not mistaken, that’s the basis of feeder planes right? Filling an airport (here A) with cargo, and then the cargo take the first available plane to its destination?

Hi,

that’s not how it works…

Cargo from C to B will only book your plane to A if it can also book a connecting flight to B.

And the maximum transfer time for passengers is 8 hours. I believe the same goes for cargo. If your plane arrives at 05:00 and the connecting flight leaves at midnight, the cargo will not book your C to A flight. The cargo tries to find a route from C to B. If it does not find a route, it disappears in cyberspace :wink:

Jan

I've put a ground network by mistake how do I remove It?

A ground network just is. You can’t activate or deactivate it and you certainly can not remove it.

Edit: It’s two years old and I want to thank you for using the search function of this board.

If you refer to the "having groundnetworks disabled " part, the answer is:

It’s a server attribute. It’s either on or off while most servers are on. I can never remember their names. I’m sure somebody will post them soon.

Every server but Devau has ground networks. Devau does not have ground networks, but to compensate, the maximum connection time is extended to 12 hours instead of the usual 8.

Since there is some discussion about ground networks, I also have a question regarding this (I got here by searching function):

There is a "Ground network" function which can tell which airports have ground connection with this airports, but what about the rest? I mean for example, airport A has ground network reaches airport B which is 261km away. That's fine, but why there is no ground network to another airport C which is only 108km away? Did AS really check each airport's infrastructure/reality to determine that?

My example given above is based on POS(A), PMV( B ) and GUI( C ). AB 261km and has ground network, AC only 108km but no ground network. 

Since there is some discussion about ground networks, I also have a question regarding this (I got here by searching function):

There is a "Ground network" function which can tell which airports have ground connection with this airports, but what about the rest? I mean for example, airport A has ground network reaches airport B which is 261km away. That's fine, but why there is no ground network to another airport C which is only 108km away? Did AS really check each airport's infrastructure/reality to determine that?

My example given above is based on POS(A), PMV( B ) and GUI( C ). AB 261km and has ground network, AC only 108km but no ground network. 

There are some questionable ground networks.

My personal favorite: Pyongyang (Best Korea) shares one with Yangyang (Worst Korea) 382 km away across the DMZ...nope. Not a ground network! 

Does a person from Ovda (Israel) really drive to Port Said or Huarghada (Egypt) across the military zone of the Sinai that has been declared off limits to non Sinai residents by Al-Sisi? Or even can they? I can understand maybe Lebanon or Jordan since they are kind of neutral.

Why would Ukraine share a ground network with Poland when Ukrainians and Poles both need visas to cross the border...or for example a ground network between Pskov and neighboring Latvia and Estonia do not make much sense. Having Belarus does as there is no Border.

I think there has to be Schengen ground network but no spillover (or double the cost) from non Schengen areas such as Russia and Ukraine. Furthermore, I would argue that any state with a "hot" border such as North/South Korea or Israel/neighbors should have minimized or extremely costly ground networks which reflect the added hassle of getting across that border. I am sure that well-to-do businessmen/women/diplomats have no problem crossing these borders, but that is not what the ground network reflects.

One that makes alot of sense is YUL and BTV. BTV is full of Quebecois! 

Do you have to open a station at the other airports in order to utilize the ground network connection?

Example: I have flights from SFO but do I need to open stations in OAK & SJC etc in order to get ground connection passengers from those airports?

Thanks!

No, you do not need to open stations to take advantage of ground network connections. E.g. you have station at airport A, with ground networks to a1, A2, A3, A4. You do not need stations at A1, A2, A3, A4, just at A.

Wow, found my old reply…

Though I believe AS is listening, the question I posted in 2014 still not answered, and I still wish to know the policy when AS adds a ground connections to some but not all nearby airports.