Has there been talks about making a subreddit for this game?

Has there been any talks about making a Subreddit for this game? I think it would be a good way to share tutorials and ask questions. Any thoughts?

I feel that this forum and the official Discord channel (AirlineSim) already give plenty of opportunities for the things you’ve mentioned. The issue is that the AS community itself is pretty small - especially those who are willing to participate in public channels - and providing more platforms to spread out could make it even worse.

Could you provide an example, why Reddit in particular would be better for community engagement? I’m genuinely interested to know.

1 Like

I do think it’d be easier to find on Google (and ofc reddit itself), which could give the game some free publicity. Not sure though, just a thought

not something i really have been thinking a lot about. but i would say its “easier” to use then the forum, not that the forum is hard to use, but a lot of players already use Reddit and know how to navigate it. and as @etvt said, it would likely show better up on google. (maybe even get players from Reddit directly?=

but your point about spreading out the players is a very good point, not something i thought about.

We have in fact seen the effect of the community being “spread too thinly” with the advent of Discord already. There are a lot of unofficial AirlineSim Discords today already, mostly for alliances and private servers. These are of course completely invisible (anywhere, not just on Google) except for the members who are in it. We can only assume that a lot of discussions that would typically take place on the AS forums or the official Discord are being had there, so that activity is “missing” from the official channels.

There’s also the side-effect of members of these communities sort of assuming certain things to be common knowledge because they “have been discussed”, while in reality the vast majority of the community and especially the team are very much unaware.

While a Reddit community would in theory only partly suffer from such issues due to it being public, it’s still another place for players to find and share information and for the team to keep an eye on. So I am not a huge fan at this point, given the size of both community and team.

Thanks for the input! I have thought about running a non official subreddit, but these are very good reasons not to, thanks again

regarding this topic, I believe r/airlinesim is already a thing, but judging from the number of members it is pretty inactive…

Yeah, thats the unofficial one that i thought about running, but really dont want to do anything the team does not want

I mean, you do you. I definitely won’t be keeping anyone from doing something they feel like doing to engage with AirlineSim. At the end of the day, a well-run, active AirlineSim subreddit definitely won’t hurt the project. If anything, it would drive some traffic. But at the same time, it’s something we as the team can’t actively support or take over should volunteer activity subside.

Bit scared spreading the playerbase will hurt it a bit, but will think about it.

I personally prefer the one stop shopping of this forum. The search function is basic but I have easily found what I am looking for.

1 Like