How do you organize a huge fleet?

For the players with huge fleets, how do you organize your fleet? Do you do it by airport? by route ? 

I usual group mine into fleets by....Hub, Short/Long Haul, Aircraft Type. So I would have KUL-LH-B787 etc

By hub and short / long haul.

For example IAD, IAD LH, ORD, ORD LH

ETC.

Ok that makes sense, ill give that a go! 

In Hubs and fleets. See screenshot.

In Hubs and fleets. See screenshot.

Oh wow, OK. I need to start doing this, I dont know which plane goes where at the moment! 

Banff - have you thought about using the personal notes for your sub-fleets/ 7 day pattern aircraft?

Banff - have you thought about using the personal notes for your sub-fleets/ 7 day pattern aircraft?

I used to do that. But as my waves are made ready for upgrades for anything in between A220 to A380 (depending on slots in outbound airport), I find this much much more efficient. Downside is that I’m not able to easily check whether a subfleet suddenly has a high maintenance etc.

I divide the fleet into three levels. First the size of the hub (for sorting) via hyphens, then by geographical region and finally the name of the hub.3296

AS Fleet Organization.JPG

I am using HUB and Aircraft type:

VIE-B737

VIE-B738

VIE-B739

VIE-B787-8

VIE-B787-9

VIE-E90

VIE-E95

In addition i have some fleets that i am using for overwiew in case i am doing some organizational changes.

e.g.

AAA- still Flying, cancel leasing contract

AAA- Upgrade of seat capacity needed

AAA- Downgrade odf seat capacity needed

AAA- Optimize Flight Plan

AAA- free to use and move into a new FlightPlan / Fleet

Tripple AAA at the begining of the name is simply to have it in alphabetical order at the top of the fleet list

I agree that a good organisation is a great thing but whenever I try to do it I almost always forget some plane (for example when upgrading/downgrading) and for operations control. Therefore I have the planes organised per type (A320 Family, A320 long haul, A350 long haul, A350/A380 short haul) and for every hub. Sadly this leads to having hundreds of aircraft in some fleets. I also keep a pool of "Unused" planes which is for planes without schedules waiting to get schedules or get returned to lessors. Putting unused planes into specific fleets will almost certainly make me forget them.

Its actually quite interesting how its different for most people. At the moment ive just sorted my fleets into hub SH/LH for the time being but some on here have given me some inspiration to change it again

I agree that a good organisation is a great thing but whenever I try to do it I almost always forget some plane (for example when upgrading/downgrading) and for operations control. Therefore I have the planes organised per type (A320 Family, A320 long haul, A350 long haul, A350/A380 short haul) and for every hub. Sadly this leads to having hundreds of aircraft in some fleets. I also keep a pool of "Unused" planes which is for planes without schedules waiting to get schedules or get returned to lessors. Putting unused planes into specific fleets will almost certainly make me forget them.

Similar to how I do it.

As others said, I go by hub and fleet type. 

BWI 737

BWI CRJ

CLE 737

CLE CRJ

PHL 737

PHL CRJ

IAH 737

IAH CRJ

SMF 737

SMF CRJ

I also have a group called "Outstation A/C" that currently only has one aircraft in it.  But it's kind of a catch-all for me for aircraft not based in a specific hub. 

I use a variety of fleet lists, but this is one of my favorites:

fleetorg.png

On the left is the fleet list. I keep them separated by hubs (the numbers are to sort it) and then use the aircraft code.

The buffers above are for aircraft to schedule or reserve planes.

On the right I write in the personal notes The hub and the destinations. If I split a schedule to multiple aircraft, like for long haul, then I number them accordingly.

For smaller airlines in a country with just one hub I tend to differentiate just by longhaul/shorthaul.

For airlines with more than one hub I use one fleet per hub (and sort the aircraft list by aircraft type).

The personal notes field holds a short description of the aircraft's flight plan.

Additionally, like others here, I have special fleets for organisational purposes, e.g. canceled lease, parked, canceled flight plan but still flying...