[Idlewild] Running deployment experiments using game world data

[EN] We are currently experimenting with new hosting and deployment options for AirlineSim. To get realistic results, we plan to take a database dump from Idlewild (the AirlineSim game world with the most flights per week) and load it into a temporary test game world. This game world will show up in your account, but it obviously won’t cost you any credits and we will disable email notifications for it. Of course you are free and invited to check out the game world and report any unusual findings.

The experiment will take place some time this weekend or next week, and will run for an indefinite time.

[DE] Wir experimentieren derzeit mit neuen Hosting- und Deployment-Optionen für AirlineSim. Um realistische Ergebnisse zu erhalten, planen wir, einen Datenbank-Dump von Idlewild (der AirlineSim-Spielwelt mit den meisten Flügen pro Woche) zu nehmen und ihn in eine temporäre Test-Spielwelt zu laden. Diese Spielwelt wird in eurem Konto auftauchen, aber sie wird natürlich keine Credits kosten und wir werden E-Mail-Benachrichtigungen für sie deaktivieren. Natürlich seid ihr herzlich eingeladen, die Spielwelt zu testen und uns alles zu melden, was euch komisch vorkommt.

Das Experiment wird dieses Wochenende oder kommende Woche beginnen und für unbestimmte Zeit laufen.

1 Like

Will the two worlds run simultaneously with the same data? In other words, will change in one be reflected in the other? Will the worlds be synchronized (real time, batch sync, etc.)? What time period will the second world run for? Any other changes in the temp world besides the “hosting and deployment” ?

No, no, not sure yet, no. :wink:

Actually…depending on how things go and if we have a test instance with real data anyway, we might experiment with a couple of other things. But that’s yet to be decided.

You might have already noticed, but the “Idlewild clone” is now available here: https://drewitz.airlinesim.aero/

Note that there are no stability guarantees just yet…we’re approaching the resource allocation from the bottom, meaning we want to figure out with how little or how much of CPU/memory we can run a mature game world in a satisfactory way. Until we have found those limits, the game world might occasionally be very sluggish or even down.

The clone game world has been up for a while now. Performance looks good, so we started to experiment with other things recently. I don’t want to highlight what exactly did change, I would much rather have you give me a rough estimate on how your airlines are doing and whether you see any noteworthy or interesting changes :slight_smile:

Hey. Mir ist aufgefallen, dass Flugzeuge, welche man über eine Auktion gewonnen hat nicht ausgeliefert bekommt.

Klingt eher nach “Gebot platziert aber noch nicht wirklich gewonnen”? Abgesehen davon ist es aber relativ sicher nichts “Drewitz-spezifisches”.

1 Like

I see lower revenues on Drewitz.

The noteworthy or interesting changes, what area should one be looking at ?

Hallo Martin, war jetzt ca 1 jahr off und bin über “Drewitz” gestolpert. Versuche nach meinem alten Schema eine Airline aufzubauen. Flugzeuge nach Auktion werden ausgeliefert, das klappt wieder. Aber mir fällt auf, das es kaum/bis keine Buchungen gibt. Wie rubio schon gefragt hatte, auf welche Änderungen sollten man achten, oder welche Bereiche?

Drewitz is EOL and likely doesn’t work correctly at this point…I should really turn it off soon. Probably will do that once we have a new version of our revised ops setup ready for testing.