khoianh's airline press information junkyard

So, what is this?

Quimby IV has just started and finally a chance for me again to relive some old-fashioned server startup mayhem. :lol: In this place I'm going to post whatever I like about my airlines I'm going to operate, showcase some design studies and I will comment on what's happening around this gameworld.

Who are you?

Some of you might have already read posts of mine in the last few months and some might even still know me from before that. Fact is, the first time I got in touch with AS dates back to April 2007, when, after months of observation of the website, there finally was an open beta available. Public playing rounds would only last for three to four weeks until the server broke down or major incompatible updates were launched. Those were exciting times. A completely different dimension to those minor server timeouts we sometimes experience now. I remember the time when the maintenance ratio didn't exist yet and everyone was wondering why their planes got grounded after a week. :D

If you are along for such a long time, why haven't I seen you in the last years?

I do have to admit that my attention span can be rather short, so airlines usually don't last very long for me, even when they work perfectly and profitably. My most successful airline, Sofia Airways back in 2008 (!) lasted about half a year or so. It was a great time in the Connected Sky Alliance on Devau (in a period where the alliance feature didn't exist ingame) and I could learn a lot from its members. Then I got inactive and returned after a long time in 2011 to see what has changed (the merger of the German and international worlds), returned for a couple of months and disappeared again. But now, I think there are exciting times coming for AS with a lot of new features, and I'd happily be part of this development.

What are your intentions for the next months?

I'll try a few things with a number of airlines, mostly some for which I already created some corporate identities. I'll start with Winnipeg Jet in Central Canada, as I'm the most comfortable with that at the moment. Furthermore, I'm going to apply for the next User Advisory Board at the next upcoming election. I was member of the first German UAB in 2008 and the first international UAB in 2011 and would like to readopt my efforts to hunt down cheaters and slotblockers again (I'm watching you, Argos Air :angry: ).

Why are you even writing this? Presenting your airline would be quite sufficient, wouldn't it?

When I started with AS - as already mentioned, nine years ago - the community was really enthusiastic and looking forward to finally get this online-game, that was already in development for several years by then, into their hands. They came from different areas: Pilots, airline or aircraft manufacturer employees, aviation enthusiasts or just the random guy that found the idea of building an airline cool. People were all pretty unexperienced and just trying to get the game mechanics sorted. The community was smaller, but more active, enjoying the discussions in the forum, was always nice and helpful to beginners (as most were beginners themselves not long before) and the link to the team was much closer. People were fans of AS.

When the gameworlds of today launched, things changed. People became customers, as playing was no longer for free. When seeing at the forums today, it looks like the game is played more by accountants than aviators. The only thing people would discuss about is whether the fuel consumption of aircraft A is 1% higher or lower than aircraft B, and this spreads out to ten threads over five different boards in both languages. I understand that people, as they pay for playing the game, demand a perfect product, but they need to acknowledge that this needs time. The team is small and progress will be made, even if it might take longer than one might wish.

Your final statement for the start of Quimby IV?

People might take all of this too seriously here. Let's have more fun in the forums and ingame again! Bring back the public PR wars, bombastic airline and alliance presentations, discuss about which airline has the most disgusting toilets, post your trip reports (I miss kraven for all of these points somehow). I remember a guy once who professionally designed an 8 page pdf leaflet just to promote his IPO. Play AS more with your heart, less with your excel spreadsheet. ;)

I'm looking forward to the next eight months with all of you. See you around!

The campaigning period for UAB has not yet officially started :D :lol: :D

But nice introduction indeed. I will not be playing on Quimby but will peek in from time to time to see what's going on.

And you are spot on, not only aviators, but also bean counters and masters of business play this. And I even know of heirs to billions-dollar (or euro) fortunes ...seriously. It makes for a nice bunch ...

Haha, yes. That definitely brings back some moments!

I also started out on Kaitak when there finally were some accounts available from the waiting list, managed to get off with the second game world from day one (how I loved my Bahaman "Blue Marlin Group"), had hundreds of MD80s and DC10s operating from CMB on the third game server and a long standing airline on Tempelhof (Luzon Airlines) that was in business for several years. Now Quimby III hooked me again and I am quite excited about the new features and possibilities AS has gained. I love the new interface and I like the new performance / pricing data very much.

Let's do some bombastic comebacks here! :)

yeah, I remember some great "Business Wars"... Leeloojet, The Bee-Group etc.

It was a fantastic time ( i played on Idlewild at that time)...

I'm looking forward for the time on Quimby now... lets see, what we can start here :)

25473082506_34e216cc8b_o.png

Winnipeg? Seriously?

Yeah. I've always been fan of underdog airports as hubs. I started my very first airline nine years ago in Salzburg, my most successfull one was in Sofia (which used to be a four-bar airport in my days, by the way) and also tried out some island-hopping nightmares in Fiji or Alaska. Those didn't go that well, to be honest, by anyway. For my newest episode of AS on Quimby III I needed a new place to prove myself. You could argue for Winnipeg because of its perfect strategical position in Central Canada to create a country-connecting hub etc., and while those thoughts also played a role, there was a much simpler reason: I love Canada, and one friend of mine has her exchange semester in Winnipeg at the moment (the same reason I'm sitting in Singapore. The temperature difference between us two is immense!). The same thinking brought my second airline on Quimby III to Belfast, but that one won't be continued.

How is your approach for Quimby IV? A fresh server start must be exciting.

The basic principle of Winnipeg Jet on Quimby III and now Gatow relied on three main hub waves - 0600, 1430 and 2100, with low-demand routes serving at least once a day and other routes on all three waves if possible. I limited myself to the CRJ1000 and therefore capacity at the highest-frequented routes wasn't sufficient anymore. I therefore built up parallel flights to increase capacity for the same hubwave, but that's definitely not the most elegant solution. The most important route to Toronto ended up with three parallel flights on all three waves each and one off-wave flight, adding up to ten daily flights at only four different times of the day. For the slot situation at the airport this was also not very ideal as after just six weeks the slot hours in question filled up to 50%.

For Quimby IV I chose a different approach: Smaller hubwaves, each three hours apart, give more flexibility in flight planning: A return trip to an airport can either be 6, 9, 12 etc. hours long and will still have connecting flights on offer. For the most important destinations it is intended to connect to at least 4 of the 8 waves, for Toronto I already managed connections to all 8 hub waves. This is especially important as routes to smaller airports highly depend on connecting flights to the large metropolises, and well, Winnipeg doesn't count. The flight plan is now more modular as well, making it easier to upgrade existing flights to larger aircraft. For the beginning it means that the connections will not be ideal because the network hasn't been completely established yet, but this will be gradually improved.

Doesn't sound like the typical 3x A320/737-800 approach then?

No, quite the opposite, actually. For such a start I would need a fleet as large as possible to provide the necessary hub size. Coincidentally the last AS data patch brought the ARJ21 into the market which due to its low price would be ideal. A quick machine evaluation showed that the machine would be up to the job and so an order to China was placed. But no worries, Bombardier, my beloved Canadian aircraft manufacturer will get its orders. Just bring in the CS100!

To be honest, I did a restart on the airline already. The first try included four Tupolev Tu-204, which were very tempting regarding their low price, good economy and the Immediate Delivery Program. (Seriously, has anyone had got more than four of these in his lifetime? Six days delivery time is crazy!) Thank you Matth for jumpstarting with your airline and giving that little hint. ;) But a dense network wasn't possible with so few planes and for point-to-point the airport wouldn't have sufficient demand. So now I'm half a day behind the rest, but that's okay. :D

Any other observations on the start of Quimby IV?

Good to see that the initial two LET slot-blockers are history already. Seems that AS has secretly raised the landing fees massively to make flights unprofitable (as observed on the beloved parallel thread here). And now that the team has investigated and solved the issue I can now admit that I was the one that reported Argos Air after just 45 minutes of server running time. Funnily enough he just sent me an IGM if I want to join his alliance. :lol:

The new fuel consumption figures look good so far. The CRJ1000 now fares a little worse (because it was too good before, I have to admit) while the CRJ700 has been improved. The E-Jets were always worse than the CRJs since I play this game and this doesn't seem to have changed. I'm wondering how the CSeries will slot into that equation, anyway, this is now a seriously tight-packed aircraft competition and it can be finally said that it's really just a matter of taste which one you take. After the ARJ21 start I'll go Canadian again to boost the domestic economy. ;)

What is the design department doing lately?

Not much, unfortunately got no time for that. While the logo could get a slight overhaul a few weeks before, the livery still runs with a very provisional design and colour scheme. And it's the wrong aircraft anyway. Stay tuned for updates on that. :)

25203609500_4df254807a_o.jpg

25473082506_34e216cc8b_o.png

Winnipeg? Seriously?

Yeah. I’ve always been fan of underdog airports as hubs. I started my very first airline nine years ago in Salzburg, my most successfull one was in Sofia (which used to be a four-bar airport in my days, by the way) and also tried out some island-hopping nightmares in Fiji or Alaska. Those didn’t go that well, to be honest, by anyway. For my newest episode of AS on Quimby III I needed a new place to prove myself. You could argue for Winnipeg because of its perfect strategical position in Central Canada to create a country-connecting hub etc., and while those thoughts also played a role, there was a much simpler reason: I love Canada, and one friend of mine has her exchange semester in Winnipeg at the moment (the same reason I’m sitting in Singapore. The temperature difference between us two is immense!). The same thinking brought my second airline on Quimby III to Belfast, but that one won’t be continued.

How is your approach for Quimby IV? A fresh server start must be exciting.

The basic principle of Winnipeg Jet on Quimby III and now Gatow relied on three main hub waves - 0600, 1430 and 2100, with low-demand routes serving at least once a day and other routes on all three waves if possible. I limited myself to the CRJ1000 and therefore capacity at the highest-frequented routes wasn’t sufficient anymore. I therefore built up parallel flights to increase capacity for the same hubwave, but that’s definitely not the most elegant solution. The most important route to Toronto ended up with three parallel flights on all three waves each and one off-wave flight, adding up to ten daily flights at only four different times of the day. For the slot situation at the airport this was also not very ideal as after just six weeks the slot hours in question filled up to 50%.

For Quimby IV I chose a different approach: Smaller hubwaves, each three hours apart, give more flexibility in flight planning: A return trip to an airport can either be 6, 9, 12 etc. hours long and will still have connecting flights on offer. For the most important destinations it is intended to connect to at least 4 of the 8 waves, for Toronto I already managed connections to all 8 hub waves. This is especially important as routes to smaller airports highly depend on connecting flights to the large metropolises, and well, Winnipeg doesn’t count. The flight plan is now more modular as well, making it easier to upgrade existing flights to larger aircraft. For the beginning it means that the connections will not be ideal because the network hasn’t been completely established yet, but this will be gradually improved.

Doesn’t sound like the typical 3x A320/737-800 approach then?

No, quite the opposite, actually. For such a start I would need a fleet as large as possible to provide the necessary hub size. Coincidentally the last AS data patch brought the ARJ21 into the market which due to its low price would be ideal. A quick machine evaluation showed that the machine would be up to the job and so an order to China was placed. But no worries, Bombardier, my beloved Canadian aircraft manufacturer will get its orders. Just bring in the CS100!

To be honest, I did a restart on the airline already. The first try included four Tupolev Tu-204, which were very tempting regarding their low price, good economy and the Immediate Delivery Program. (Seriously, has anyone had got more than four of these in his lifetime? Six days delivery time is crazy!) Thank you Matth for jumpstarting with your airline and giving that little hint. :wink: But a dense network wasn’t possible with so few planes and for point-to-point the airport wouldn’t have sufficient demand. So now I’m half a day behind the rest, but that’s okay. :smiley:

Any other observations on the start of Quimby IV?

Good to see that the initial two LET slot-blockers are history already. Seems that AS has secretly raised the landing fees massively to make flights unprofitable (as observed on the beloved parallel thread here). And now that the team has investigated and solved the issue I can now admit that I was the one that reported Argos Air after just 45 minutes of server running time. Funnily enough he just sent me an IGM if I want to join his alliance. :lol:

The new fuel consumption figures look good so far. The CRJ1000 now fares a little worse (because it was too good before, I have to admit) while the CRJ700 has been improved. The E-Jets were always worse than the CRJs since I play this game and this doesn’t seem to have changed. I’m wondering how the CSeries will slot into that equation, anyway, this is now a seriously tight-packed aircraft competition and it can be finally said that it’s really just a matter of taste which one you take. After the ARJ21 start I’ll go Canadian again to boost the domestic economy. :wink:

What is the design department doing lately?

Not much, unfortunately got no time for that. While the logo could get a slight overhaul a few weeks before, the livery still runs with a very provisional design and colour scheme. And it’s the wrong aircraft anyway. Stay tuned for updates on that. :slight_smile:

nice artwork...i am looking forward to sitting in one of these neat A319s of WJ, though will have to wait until their inaugural flight and continue experiencing Chinese "luxury aircraft" and Czech boneshakers when going from Chicago to Gods Lake Narrows :)

Before I'm rolling out a more substantial news update, a few thoughts on...

...statistics

I have to admit, I do love statistics, numbers and figures, and the passenger statistics place Winnipeg Jet comfortably at number 1 in Canada. But as always, those can be incredibly misleading: Sitting in the middle of Canada, more short routes and more flights per aircraft can be flown, which leads to more passengers transported over the day. But how far do they actually fly, and crucially, how much money do the make in that process? While the latter remains a secret for everyone else, the figure of seat kilometers can be a very powerful took of determining the actual size of an airline, and looking at those, the largest Canadian airlines are much closer together. On the other hand, the dominating global number 1 in passenger statistics offers twice as many seats, but only half as many seat-km as Winnipeg Jet. So nothing to worry about, but just important to remember.

...the hub system

Yesterday I managed to roll out a newly designed flight plan for all existing and upcoming aircraft in the fleet. Eastbound flights from YWG will now depart at 0300, 0900, 1500 and 2100, and after a nine-hour turnaround, arrive for the 0000, 0600, 1200 and 1800 westbound flights (and vice versa). This should optimise the transfer conditions in Winnipeg airport and ensure that passengers stay at this place as shortly as possible (only 26% of passengers will start their journey in YWG). As I'm waiting for four more aircraft to arrive to complete the first set of flights, there are still some holes to be filled.

...Chinese luxury aircraft and Czech boneshakers

If the figures of the aircraft weren't so tempting, I would have avoided these MD-80 copycats, but at the moment they play a crucial role in the airline's growth. They are cheap, have decent range and ratings and do not consume too much fuel. With delivery of more CRJ1000 which take over the Toronto and Calgary routes they will be put on lower-priority services towards the United States. Flodding the US with Chinese aircraft? Looking at their political situation at the moment, they have fully deserved it. #MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain

If the figures for small prop aircraft weren't so off in favour of the LETs, I would definitely prefer the Do 228 or, of course, the Canadian Twin Otters. But if both cost twice as much, maintenance costs three times more (for the DO228) or range is half as much (DHC-6), those are not a viable solution. Some routes will see upgrades to ATR 42 in the forseeable future. Unfortunately, Bombardier does not produce the Q200 and Q300. How awesome would be an all-Canadian fleet of Twin Otters, Dash 8, CRJs and CSeries? Not going to happen, though.

...alliances

Winnipeg Jet is now proud member of Omega Alliance, in which its members focus on having the optimum hub wave schedules to ensure high-quality connections worldwide. As such, I introduced flights to two alliance members in Dallas/Fort Worth and to Islip - a place that didn't even know it existed until a week ago. I'm looking forward to cooperate with a large number of motivated, skilled and experienced players from all over the world and the first weeks have shown that this was a good decision.

...IPOs

Looking at the Markets and Exchanges page, it seems that everyone tries to get their airlines public as quickly as possible, no matter how terrible the financial results are. At the moment, not a single IPO was successful, and that's definitely a good sign for both the airline CEOs and the investors. Of course, no one is going to invest money in your company as everyone needs the cash him- or herself. In the olden days (my god, I can sound very nostalgic sometimes), where everyone sort of knew each other, everyone put small sums into a fellow player's airline, 200,000 AS$ or so, and that summed up to a sufficient amount for an IPO. As I already mentioned, the community became more anonymous towards each other, and therefore, this doesn't happen anymore. But is this a bad thing? Not necessarily. The long-term effects on your airline (15% of all profits, don't forget) will by far overwhelm the initial cash influx. As demand is still not satisfied yet, a cash boost compared to your competitors does not give you a big advantage in the short term either.

khoianh, i always enjoy reading your news! It makes me remember the older days of AS, as you mentioned where everyone sort of knew each other, and the Forum was a lot more active. In combination with the nowaydays nearly dead airlinesimpedia an airline´s thread here was a major instrument to promote one´s airline! I hope to find the time to do so as well in the near future  ;) 

Cheers

Finally, some progress from the design department! And for whatever reason, it chose an aircraft that is not in Winnipeg Jet's fleet because it does not even exist jet... But it will play a crucial role in the future of the airline, and therefore for the future of aircraft manufacturing in Montreal.

In the sky it would probably have the appearance of a completely invisible stealth fighter, but for that reason a number of bright red warning triangles (the vertical stabilizer, the engine and the winglet) have been added.

25404881413_b839993ac5_o.jpg

That livery really has potential as I really like the pattern and the colour choice for that red part. Though I really dislike that teal colour and I would suggest changing it to either white or Pantone Warm Grey 1C or 2C, probably also removing the pattern on that part. 

P.S Since being here in Scotland I have actually started liking patterns lol. For example I previously hated the Volotea livery but I actually like it now (I like it a lot to be honest).

P.S.S I promise you that the C series will truly be a "game changer" when it comes out.

i really like this design, also since it is a bit more decent than the one on the 319. good job

25423646354_919f1ac7b2_o.jpg

Sleeping over one night makes one reconsider design decisions, so this is a second proposal. The CSeries' absurdly large windows make placing airline names above them rather difficult. :lol:

And a few more liveries - to show the future fleet development. :)  The 787 is a beautiful aircraft, I have to say...

25952038452_e5f97aa454_b.jpg

25993718831_eed1e3a908_b.jpg

25978196221_2816cf10c6_b.jpg

very nice artwork! But i think some kind of logo would fit your "blank" red tails very well

Logos are so 20th century *cough* .

Estratosfera is proud to announce that a tentative agreement on direct services Brasilia - Winnipeg has been reached. Service is scheduled to begin early next week with the upcoming second flagship 787-8 "Paraná" visiting their current biggest minority shareholder three times a week!