Labor Strikes Suggestion

Hello all! I think that the wages system in Airlinesim is a bit lackluster. It would be a great challenge if labor strikes were added into the game. How would they work?

Of course, strikes would ruin the game if they happened in the first few days or weeks of an airline’s life. I think about 6 months allows an airline to grow large enough before employees start getting mad at their wages.

The employees would use the average wage to calculate what their demand would be per employee. If their demands are not met, flights will be cancelled. If you choose to fire the striking employees, your airline’s image will go down.

This would make the game very realistic, as real airlines neglect their employees and they go on strike often.

Thoughts?

I fully aggree with this statement :sweat_smile:

A complete overhaul of AS’ HR system is somewhere in the project’s future for sure. Strikes would be a possibility for this future version, but it would depend on the ops system to also receive some fundamental enhancements beforehand. What I mean is that AS is a strategic-tactical simulation, meaning people should manage their airlines on a relatively high level and not be bothered with day-to-day operations. Dealing with the fallout of a strike clearly falls into the latter category, so the ops system needs to be capable of dealing with something like this automatically.

2 Likes

I think that is a bad idea.

If the probability of labor strikes depends on the mood (below a certain level maybe 3 bars red?) it is a strategic decision not paying sufficient wages? Just as you get cancelled flights if the maintenance time is insufficient or accumulates excessive delay or so.

In principle, I agree. But firstly, it’s a difference whether a single aircraft breaks down or a strike cripples your whole network. And secondly, I’d hope a future version of the staff system would gain a bit more depth than just an arbitrary “mood score” which is solely under a player’s control, but something that takes more variables into account (like general market situation).

But sure…in a version where a player has the knowledge to foresee and the ability to prevent any strike before it happens, we could do without a new ops system :slight_smile:

You can certainly come up with something more complex than

mood below a certain value increases the probability of a flight cancellelation, maybe just parts of it (cargo), maybe even surplus staff reduces probability and so on…

but this is not a employer simulator either, with complex bonuses, salary negotiations for years, warning strikes, different legal rules in different countries, …

we know that there are more important things. So keep it simple or this will (again) realized only in the distant future if at all. :wink:

1 Like