Large scale slot bloking

@Rickwidd just give it some time man. We all started new with no idea of anything. I restarted 4 times as well until I figured out how to make some money and expand fast.

@highscore

Yeah, You and many more with you are probably very right. Thats the reason Im thinking of qutting this game. Maybe this is not my kind of game after all tough I personally think the interface & UI is awesome. But you can´t play a game based on how it looks like. And I do understand how the game works but not to its full extent. 

I think when you can´t get 100% on pax between ARN - UME or to HEL with E195 with 56 Y and 6 C and with the best rating nice service profile, nice price and nice seat config etc etc something is terrible wrong. 

I have just viewed my thoughts on things how I see the game works. They can be all wrong and they can be some right. Some ppl agrees with me and think alike and some thinks Im just a stupid f**k who doesn´t understand anything about the game. 

Just taking a quick look at your situation and I've found a few problems with your strategy.  If you want to use Embraer's go with the regular 195's.  With AR's you lose about 5% profit margins (unless you bought really cheap used aircraft in which case you should have more than 4)  Frequently you can find them used and cheap and get more than 4 aircraft.  I started a game recently on Gatow and was able to get 6 E-195's in the first week.  I've since added another.  I've had to rework a few routes as duds but usually focusing on your domestic market THEN focusing on international makes more sense.  International is HARD, especially for a brand new airline. 

The other major problem you have is Jack Rabbit airlines also based in Sweden having 60% of the market share in Stockholm.  As I don't run an airline on that server I can't see the ORS but if you aren't running flights at 95 or more you will not fill your planes.  My guess without looking at all of his flights is that he is eating up the market share in that market and if you want to beat him you better offer better seats/services than him on the main routes.  And by main routes I mean main domestic market routes with complementary feeder routes from the smaller airports with smaller planes.  

Look to see if there are a bunch of 1 bar airports that aren't served.  If so you might think about using smaller planes and flying to those markets.  You might find unfilled demand that can easily fill a LET or an ATR42 but not bigger aircraft like a Dash etc.  A quick glance and I found 3 airports that aren't being served right now.  There may be a reason for that...but then again there may be some untapped demand there waiting to be filled by a small carrier.

A lot of people ignore those small markets but occasionally you can find a little goldmine here and there.

Silen is right - take our time and try it a few times and your will find your niche, Rickwidd. Perhaps (or even most likely) not in Sweden but somewhere else.

@highscore

Yeah, You and many more with you are probably very right. Thats the reason Im thinking of qutting this game. Maybe this is not my kind of game after all tough I personally think the interface & UI is awesome. But you can´t play a game based on how it looks like. And I do understand how the game works but not to its full extent. 

I think when you can´t get 100% on pax between ARN - UME or to HEL with E195 with 56 Y and 6 C and with the best rating nice service profile, nice price and nice seat config etc etc something is terrible wrong. 

I have just viewed my thoughts on things how I see the game works. They can be all wrong and they can be some right. Some ppl agrees with me and think alike and some thinks Im just a stupid f**k who doesn´t understand anything about the game. 

I had 8 daily flights with an A321 on the ARN-UME route and all were 100% full. The route has a very low direct demand but with good connections you will be fine.

When I started to play this game my toughts were to set up an airline, (I never tought "slot blocking" existed until I read and saw it in the game.) Do some nice logos, lease some nice aircrafts, set up some good domestic & European p2p routes, have a nice service on my flights, have some nice seats and sensible price and then pax wanna fly with my airline and gonna book my flights. I never tought that if an aircraft takes 100 pax that you must put in seats so you only can fill the flight to 50%. That you can only have 50 pax on a 100 pax aircraft because everything is calculated to some formula with connections and ratings and god knows what. If a A380 or B747 takes like 800 and 600 pax. I think they shall do that in the game also. But since you must have good ratings and connections you must do a cabin config there an A380 only takes 360 pax out of 853 and a B747 takes 264 pax out of 605. Personally I think that's ridiculous.

This is going way off topic but I have to say something here.

Just because an A380 is certified for 853 seats doesn't mean that's how many seats you should have. It's just a legal certification, based on things like the number of emergency exits and the like, saying the maximum number of people you are allowed to cram into the decks before it's considered a safety hazard. Airbus themselves recommend a "comfortable" 544 maximum, and most airlines tend to use around 450 to 550 seats (Singapore Airlines in fact has a premium 379 seat configuration, not really far from 360 you mention). Nobody would use the whole 853 seats, unless you want to go full Ryanair on your ultra long-haul flights, and if that's the case I feel sorry for your passengers: most people will take an hour or two with slimline seats if that means cheaper fares, but for 12 hours? I'm pretty sure that's against the Geneva convention!

Same for a 747 and the others: the stated maximum is just a legal safety certification, nothing more than that. That being said, the current AS system does go way over the top in favoring high-quality service over cheaper service, one of the problems of the ORS (see below), just not as much over the top as you're thinking.

Now the first time I started playing this game, my airline was bankrupt after two weeks. I restarted and this time I lasted 3 weeks of massive losses and near bankrupcy again. So I restarted again, using what I had learned, and now it's been 6 months and my airline is up and running. If I restarted again (which I'm not planning on), I'm pretty sure it would take me just 2 months to get me where I am now after 6. That's not just true of this game, it's true of life: the first time you try something new, you'll screw up. The second time, you'll screw up just a little less. The third time even less, and so on, each time you learn from your mistakes and become better at what you're doing. Here, as in life, there are manuals you can read and experienced people that can teach you. This has always been the case everywhere, except modern video games have taught people to expect automatic instant success as a God-given right.

So don't lose hope, learn from what you're doing, learn from other experienced players, and if you really want to play in Sweden, it might be a good idea to search in every gameworld and find the one where Sweden is least crowded (it won't prevent other players from suddenly deciding to start a branch there - that'll always be the risk of playing in the EU - but at least you can choose the least competitive world at the moment).

---------

To come back on topic, I agree with Silen in that most players who use lots of small aircraft aren't deliberately trying to hurt other players, they're simply using the economic stategy that makes the most sense considering the allocation system in place.

The ORS has two major flaws: one being that sevice quality is as important if not more so than price. The same people who will pay $50 for 1-class service will pay $100 for 3-class service and $200 for 5-class service. In real life there's a maximum most people are willing to pay, and you can't just keep charging more and more by making your service ridiculously awesome and still expect "Economy" passengers to book it. As the success of low-cost companies show, people are perfectly willing to be treated like sardines in a can if they can save a couple of bucks.

The second major problem with the ORS is that each connection is always analized separately, so if you have three 50-seater planes leaving at the same time, all connecting to your long-haul 787, that plane may get up to 3 times as many connecting passengers than if you have a single 150-seater making the connection. Of course, with this system people will tend to use lots of smaller planes over fewer big ones, simply because they're not stupid. Unfortunately, this is not something that can have a quick fix and would require a massive overhaul of the ORS. something the team may understandably not have the disposition to undertake.

That being said, even in real life there is an anti-trust "police" that prevents one airline from monopolizing an airport (not long ago, BA were forced to release some slots at Heathrow after acquiring BMI gave them too much of a market share). Still, if someone finds an airline they feel are breaking this they should use the report button and let the team handle it. Naming and shaming on the public forum in just not cool.

1) ONE pax holdings by country/player and a subsidiary as a cargo airline, or vice versa.
I do not understand why players must have two different pax companies in the same country and/or six different companies in the world in total.

Players like myself have 2 different passenger companies for many reasons, non of which are to make it harder on other players.  For one, being able to add additional maintance categories to serve smaller airports is huge.  Just like airlines in real life use regional carriers to serve this purpose ie, United Express, American Eagle and Delta Connection.  Also, to be frank, I ran out of flight numbers for my main airline, and still had a desire to grow.

Okay guys, I'm happy that you are all discussing so much and giving useful tips and stuff - but can we just return one time to the main topic again?

Any other comments on the accusation of CBE of my airline or my explanation? Thanks!

Hello,

I was just checking an airline on Gatow when I stumbled upon 2 an airline operating over 200 PC-12s for cargo use and flying the same route over 4 times daily with these aircraft. Then I looked at the aircraft type and I saw on other airline operating over 350 PC-12s. I personally operate a couple of cargo airlines on different worlds and I could easily put in 10 daily 757 flights on some of those routes. I do also believe it is wrong to fly 10x daily ATRs but that can be discussed but flying 40x daily with a 10x smaller aircraft than the ATF is truly slot blocking. 

I have reported both airlines. and sent a ticket to support being ticket #8050.

Regards,
Christian

P.S If I would want to block slots for cargo I would use the LETs as they are cheaper and have a larger capacity.

Hey there,

I am one of the two operators of PC-12 Cargo Aircraft on GATOW with my enterprise Soul Teddy Cargo.

I find it funny how anything that is new or "off meta" is tried to literally be painted red without even trying to look for the mechanics behind it.

The Thing I found on GATOW is that there is no independent cargo airline. So I thought, why don't give it a try?

As far as I thought it through, cargo airliens are just based on interlinings. Basically they don't create their own HUB's, they just transfer cargo from other players HUB's and destinations which have a really high cargo demand.

I didn't want my cargo airline to be like that. I wanted to build my own independent and exclusive cargo network. I wanted to build my own cargo HUB's and connect them with HUB-streets (Large aircraft transporting big amounts of cargo from HUB to HUB. Basically that what cargo-airlines do with other people's HUB's). Problem is, that cargo demand is not really high for a new enterprise if all major cargo airports are already satisfied in their demand for cargo. So there is not even the slightest chance for a new airline to build a working HUB with ATR's. I spent hours checking aircraft and came to the conclusion that PC-12 cargo aircraft is worth a try. They have a cargo capacity of 13 CU, so fairly small but not too small (still more than Airbus A-319 & co which are in my opinion crucial for normal player's cargo HUB's.

So what I was doing was chosing some EMPTY airports and the 3 HUB's of my normal passenger airline, Seoul Teddy Airways which doesn't operate any aircraft with cargo capacity to feed my Global airline (Soul Teddy World) with cargo.

I also started a HUB at BKK where BTW a team member of AS, who has been inactive for more than 8 months is slotblocking more than 50% of all slots.

My intention was never slotblocking and will never be.

My only goal is to crate cargo-HUB's. My hub on ESB (a 4-bar airport) just got so big that I am operating lot's of ATR-72, B-737-7 and B767 with an internal cargo transfer rate of nearly 80% by using 2000 slots. I am operating 795 different routes with less than 400 aircraft. I put hours in this. And yes, some routes are just working if I operate it with PC-12 aircraft although I'd prefer ATR aircraft but they simply don't fill up. in 99% of all cases if I have more than 5 PC-12 operating on one route I'll add ATR's, but only then - because 4 PC-12 still have less or just about the same capacity than one ATR-42.

I'm trying something new here. My intention was never to block any slots and on all airports I have PC-12 operating I still have plenty of slots left. It's not like I went to the big airports and went like oh yeah, mmh. Let's destroy some airlines. Before I put the next PC-12 on one route I'll make sure I have a cargo booking rate of 100%.

I'm sad to hear that some people don't want to give people who try something different a chance. I just don't wanna be part of an existing cargo network. I wanna create my own. And that's really hard work. Really hard.

I attached an example of how I carefully I do my work. I hope the ones of you who may accused me or my way of handling my airline is slotblocking can think differently about it now.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Silen (speaking for Soul Teddy Cargo)

Point 1 is pointless because there is no difference in running 1000 aircraft on 1 company or 5x200 aircraft in 5 comlaniescompanies.

Points 2 and 3 are contradictory to each other. I could actually agree with 1 flight to destination A every 5 minutes instead of 5 flights to destination A in one slot block, but not one per hour which to many destinations on trunk routes is just too little. Airlines run 30 and frequently 15 minute shuttle departures in real life life, so every 5 minutes is not unreasonable in AirlineSim.

But the problem is also that I do not want to get involved with a lot of mathematical formulas, equations or calculations of the game. Thats not my kind of cup of whiskey. I just want the game to be simple & easy to understand. And I try so hard, so hard to get every single bar to be green in service profiles and in the seat config. I have nice prices and I have choosen good routes. And I probably never gonna understand this ORS thing fully. BUT I do understand that you need to have a high rating, and the higher the rating, the higher up comes your flight in the ORS and the more pax you get. But I must do something right when I have 100% on all flights between ARN - GOT, ARN - BRU and also ARN - ZRH. But then it fails totally at ARN - UME, ARN - SOF & ARN - HEL. But I have done exactly the same as the other 3 flights.

Sorry to hear this is what you want, because this is not what you will get in AirlineSim. This is a very complex business simulation which is about to get much more complex by future implementation of different passenger types and booking classes, according to development road map.

Many people use excel sheets and even professional economical analytical tools and software to operate their airlines. If you want a click and relax approach this simulation may not be the right thing for you. This is the most advanced and realistic simulation anywhere around and it has a huge but really huge and steep learning curve. Only some of those who try actually master it. Some achieve mid level, some struggle by, some abandon it. Same as in real life entrepreneurship only some make it big and some more make it so so.

If you want click and relax simulation maybe look on airline Facebook games or airline tycoon or similar PC or Android games.

So, let me open my fairytale book and read the story as above... A player with an airline younger than 30 days is forum bashing me simply cos he/she cannot make it work at a city where 67% of the slots are still free and with all the advice he/she got from other players...??? It must be a slow day at World of Warcraft... 

There is nothing wrong to open as many subs as someone likes or is able to afford here in AS. I have the strong feeling that you are playing the wrong game, Rickwidd. Sorry to say it like this but you are dreaming from something which does not exist here in AS.

@yankeeoscarza

But the whole playing style and what you have done in Sweden and with market I dont like. And I think its totally wrong. Its not your fault in one way because the game works like this but still You or anybody else shouldn´t have been allowed to play like that. And just to start your subsidiary Jack rabbit Junior soon as I started my airline to get me off the market when you already had one airline doing pretty well that´s not so nice and as you may already know my opionion is that it sucks that you can play the game like this.

May the force be with you bro! :wink:

I just realized you are not talking about ARN on Gatow (where this thread is listed under Gatow message boards) but rathe rabout ARN on Riem.

67% free slots, Rabbit has about ~ 2000 weekly departures among 3 companies, and only 57% market share, with ... again, 67% of slots free.

There is NOTHING, repeat nothing, to complain about. You can build your connections and create successful airline, because there is a ton of free slots.

With view of all of this that I just realized (that you were talking about Riem ARN, and not Gatow ARN), all of what you wrote to yankeeoscarza, is basically... childish and outright ... funny (to not use a stronger word).

There is nothing wrong with the way he plays, the most departures he has per day is to Malmo, and they are spaced over an hour apart (isn't this what you suggested?) also there is nothing wrong with Jack Rabbit Junior.

Now some suggestions:

- Why are you opening 200+ stations worldwide? Are you relaly going to fly to Toonto now?

- Riem is a server for advanced players. You have not selected an easy server for a newbie, because the demand is severely reduced at best AGEX levels (maybe by as much as 50% compard to other servers).

- I would strongly suggest you keep on learning and practising after reading blog posts and watching video tutorials, but this time on Quimby

- I would absolutely advise you to read the tutorial (blog post) posted on the forums, and watch the airlinesim Youtube tutorials from Yb.

- I would suggest you start in a country that is less crowded and with less competition on an older server - countries like Venezuela, Iran, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Egypt etc. might be a good bet as they have strong domestic and regional demand and they are empty on many servers.

- Quimby might be a good bet for a newbie as there are plenty of slots, but is a temporary server, while older legacy servers are continuous but more crowded, but there are countries where you can learn the ropes.

- After a new server opens in the future, you might try your luck there, after already having learnt the ropes and operated a semi-successful airline for several months.

Last me repeat again, Riem is absolutely not the right place for you, it is a challenging server for advanced players.

Yankee has a point. There are 66% slots available at ARN in Riem. At 10 slots per 5 minutes, that's 1900 free slots. And not a single hour branch has more than 50% of slots occupied. If you can't build a successful hub here, it's not your competitor's fault.

I just realized you are not talking about ARN on Gatow (where this thread is listed under Gatow message boards) but rathe rabout ARN on Riem.

67% free slots, Rabbit has about ~ 2000 weekly departures among 3 companies, and only 57% market share, with ... again, 67% of slots free.

There is NOTHING, repeat nothing, to complain about. You can build your connections and create successful airline, because there is a ton of free slots.

With view of all of this that I just realized (that you were talking about Riem ARN, and not Gatow ARN), all of what you wrote to yankeeoscarza, is basically... childish and outright ... funny (to not use a stronger word).

There is nothing wrong with the way he plays, the most departures he has per day is t Malmo, and they are spaced over an hour apart (isn't this what you suggested?) also there is nothing wrong with Jack Rabbit Junior.

Now some suggestions:

- Why are you opening 200+ stations worldwide? Are you relaly going to fly to Toonto now?

- Riem is a server for advanced players. You have not selected an easy server for a newbie, because the demand is severely reduced at best AGEX levels (maybe by as much as 50% compard to other servers).

- I would strongly suggest you keep on learning and practising after reading blog posts and watching video tutorials, but this time on Quimby

- I would absolutely advise you to read the tutorial (blog post) posted on the forums, and watch the airlinesim Youtube tutorials from Yb.

- I would suggest you start in a country that is less crowded and with less competition on an older server - countries like Venezuela, Iran, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Egypt etc. might be a good bet as they have strong domestic and regional demand and they are empty on many servers.

- Quimby might be a good bet for a newbie as there are plenty of slots, but is a temporary server, while older legacy servers are continuous but more crowded, but there are countries where you can learn the ropes.

- After a new server opens in the future, you might try your luck there, after already having learnt the ropes and operated a semi-successful airline for several months.

Last me repeat again, Riem is absolutely not the right place for you, it is a challenging server for advanced players.

It is pointless to give him advice. All these suggestions were already made by various players in various posts to Rickwidd.

He only wants to play in Sweden. He already knows that Riem is for advanced players. And he is the one who also wants to fly ARN-SYD.

Coming back to "slots blocking in Gatow" - any needs of investigations or can Gatow players now continue playing without having the AS Police fiddling around? Thanks.

ARN på Riem är en fantastisk möjlighet på grund av den lätta marknaden och dina motstondare värkar vara ganska så dåliga (excuse me for this one). Du tror at det här spelet är väldigt lätt men det är det inte, med minna första flygbolag så hadde jag också flygningar till alla möjliga platser i Europa och I världen med stora flygplan. Jag lärde mig fort att det går inte så här så jag ändrade mig för att spela som spelet vill att man ska spela. Det här är mitt andra flygbolag någonsin som aldrig gick direkt bra men det gick framåt altid. I AirlineSim finns det få direkta passagerare men många som vill ansluta sig så du måste ta vara på det. Du kan såklart fortsätta flyga p2p router men det kommer inte ledda någonstans. Hade de bara varit direkta passagerare så hade det inte gåt och flyga till all de destinationer som du vill flyga till, utan bara ruter som flygs i dagsläget hade gått och de är inte många lång flygningar från Stockholm. Jag eller någon annan kommer inte ta och fixa dit bolag för det är inte jag som spelar utan det är du. Du måste inte spela om du inte tycker det är kul för man spelar inte för att ha ett bra bolag utan man gör det för glädjen att bygga sitt bolag.

Färjestad är bäst i hockey det bara är så även om vi har haft en dålig säsong men nästa år vinner vi allt. 

Nu tillbaka till ämnet och till engelska.
Please Rickard take it easy. CHILDREN at Riem is a great opportunity because of the ease market and your motstondare contractions to be quite so bad (excuse me for this one). You think at this game is very easy but it is not, with Minna's first airline to hadde I also flights to all sorts of places in Europe and in the world with large aircraft. I learned quickly that it does not go on like this, I changed my mind to play the game wants you to play. This is my second airline ever who never went straight good but it went ahead Time. In AirlineSim there are few direct passengers but many who want to join so you must take advantage of it. You can of course continue to fly p2p router, but it will not led anywhere. Hadde they just been direct passengers so hadde not in Gath, and fly to all the destinations you want to fly to, but only diamonds that are flown in the current situation hadde Gath, and they are not many long-haul flights from Stockholm. I or anyone else will not take and fix where companies because it is not me who plays without it's you. You must not play if you do not think it's fun because you do not play to have a good company but to do it for the joy of building their companies.
Färjestad is the best in hockey it is just as though we had a bad season, but next year we win it all.
Now back to the topic and in English.

Maybe a PM next time?

Maybe a PM next time?

I realised it now and wrote it to him on Skype. If he anyways hijacked the topic then I had to put an end to it. That message is actually only meant for Rickard to understand what he is doing wrong and to change that one thing. Me and him have only had our communication in Swedish so it feels quite strange to not write him in Swedish.

Where have you gotten that idiotic translation, I have never seen anything worse? It actually gave quite a good laugh lol.

Though there is nothing wrong to expose you to some Swedish xD. Many good things come from Sweden like IKEA, Dynamite, Astrazeneca, Ericsson, SAAB, Volvo, Ice Hotels, Fridges, Microwaves, Sewing machines, home products, Swedish meatballs, Midsommar, Avicii, ABBA, Crime series (The bridge, Millennium), Sony mobiles, etc. Sweden is also the most desired country for refugees, the best country to be a mother, the second best country to be a teen, best country to be elderly, we have the best healthcare in the world, We are the best at English as a second language and pretty much we are the best in everything so some exposure to Swedish is not at all wrong :).

This is turning to off topic so let's all jump back to slot blocking on Gatow.

That's the Google translator (I know cause I've checked it at the time but didn't post it here). It does its job, which isn't to provide a grammatically correct translation, but to provide a general idea of what the original writer meant. Considering the usual results, this time it was quite good actually (translating ARN into children notwithstanding). I actually understood what you were saying by reading the translated text, which is the whole point.

Alleged slot blocking..... :P

And yes, as Bobb pointed out, it was from Google translate.

[...]

So? Are you gonna take back what you said in the beginning of this topic or still accusing me of slotblocking? ;-)