Launching a successful route

Hi guys!

First post here, hopefully I can get some help.

Currently playing in Quimby based in Lisbon and have quite a decent route network. Up to now, every time I had launched a long haul route it was highly successful as I had quite a large feeder base from my European flights.

Nevertheless, I have invested a lot of time and money into buying newer, better long-haul aircraft to serve further destinations like Tokyo and the launch has been a catastrophe, not a single passenger! I don't really understand why, because the aircraft is configured appropriately, the service is also excellent and I have scheduled the flight so as to tie in nicely with the networks of my interline partners and my own.

Any advice from fellow more experienced players?

Thanks!

JoaGut

Are there any direct flights from Lisbon to Tokyo in reality?

No, there aren't any

Try it instead of Japan with Brazil - like in RL

No, there aren't any

That is the answer why you have 0 bookings. For Portugeuse company, I would also recommend Portuguese speaking countries.

I already serve all major airports in brazil, which is why I was thinking of expanding beyond.

So it is quite an unrealistic feature then? Because it seems very illogical that my flight is very attractive from Brasilia to Lisbon during the same hours and same connections just because Brazil is a Portuguese speaking country!

Thanks guys

J

Why does this sound illogical? Look at real existing connections between Portugal and Brasil and also to other former Portuguese (occupied) countries and you will find out that this is very much logical. 

Why should someone fly directly from Lisbon to Tokyo? If there are some business people or tourists, they will transfer in let's say London or in Istanbul perhaps or... 

Expanding your network is not unrealistic but not to every airport in the world. 

Have you already connections to SSA, BEL, MAO, FOR, NAT, REC, CWB, FLN, POA, CNF, VCP, GIG, SDU, GRU, CGH, BSB? If not, you cannot say that you are connecting all major airports to Portugal...  :)

You have got 277 depatures from Lisbon. That`s nothing

You are flying your most routes only once or twice a week. Whats with expending them?

(Only 3 days booking, so when it´s working once a week it will also work (minimum) twice a week)

I think most of your flights you could do daily, that will also increase your HUB so your bookings should be much better (offering more connections every day).

Also have a look at a geographical reasonable connection. If you come from South America, you can connect in LIS to all of Europe with a big detour.

If you want to carry passengers from central Europe to Japan, it’s quite a detour to fly first west to then turn back east. You can counter that to a certain extent with a very strong feeder network and tight waves. But if 277 movements is true, then I’m even surprised you have any pax on long haul yet.

And yes, some country pairs just have very little traffic demand. Accept it and find better destinations.

Why does this sound illogical? Look at real existing connections between Portugal and Brasil and also to other former Portuguese (occupied) countries and you will find out that this is very much logical. 

Why should someone fly directly from Lisbon to Tokyo? If there are some business people or tourists, they will transfer in let's say London or in Istanbul perhaps or... 

Expanding your network is not unrealistic but not to every airport in the world. 

Have you already connections to SSA, BEL, MAO, FOR, NAT, REC, CWB, FLN, POA, CNF, VCP, GIG, SDU, GRU, CGH, BSB? If not, you cannot say that you are connecting all major airports to Portugal...  :)

Thanks, will focus on these although already serve all except MAO and CWB (exlcuding repeat airports in Sao Paulo and Rio). I guess expanding number of flights here is the key then

There are no repeat airports… And with 277 departures, you should perhaps concentrate on domestic flights only!!!

From Portugal, Brazil is a bit of an odd-one-out in the sense that you can make long hauls work even though you don't have a feeder network. Any other long haul flights will need to be supported by a strong local network: several daily flights (ideally in a hub wave formation) to all other Portuguese and most European destinations.

Until your LIS-RAK are full I wouldn't even attempt long haul (except Brazil) again...