Location suggestion for international AirlineSim meet-up 2015

Alright...Singapore.  :D

You know Singapore just topped Tokyo for being the most expensive city the world.

You know Singapore just topped Tokyo for being the most expensive city the world.

That is when you are living or working at there. I believe that most of the major cities in Europe like Frankfurt, Paris, London, Amsterdam has at least the same level or even more expensive than Singapore.

One thing to mention: I worked in Singapore...so I suppose that Singapore is top in Asia, but second to Europe if we are talking about expenditures.

Well, that's a bit offtopic now ... but of course an interesting discussion. Anyhow we register all these suggestions ;)

My suggestion: Iceland :)

I believe that most of the major cities in Europe like Frankfurt, Paris, London, Amsterdam has at least the same level or even more expensive than Singapore.

Actually Frankfurt is dirt cheap. Apart from the airport and some banks, the city itself is not really all that important in the grand scheme of things (no offense to anyone from Frankfurt. Please don´t delete my account, Sascha ;)). Again, no offense to anyone from there, but in the rest of Germany Frankfurt is seen as rather boring, and more as a bigger town than a city. Not much going on there really when you compare it to other places.

The only thing Frankfurt used to have going for it was the simple fact that it was pretty much in the geographical center of Germany, hence the choice for placing the biggest airport there and making it a huge hub. However, after the reunification not even that center-position is true anymore, but of course by now it would be pointless to move the airport anywhere else.

If you wanna see expensive places in Germany, go to Munich or Hamburg, not Frankfurt.

Good to know, that the reality is different *g*

Anway ... off topic ;)

Actually Frankfurt is dirt cheap. Apart from the airport and some banks, the city itself is not really all that important in the grand scheme of things (no offense to anyone from Frankfurt. Please don´t delete my account, Sascha ;)). Again, no offense to anyone from there, but in the rest of Germany Frankfurt is seen as rather boring, and more as a bigger town than a city. Not much going on there really when you compare it to other places.

The only thing Frankfurt used to have going for it was the simple fact that it was pretty much in the geographical center of Germany, hence the choice for placing the biggest airport there and making it a huge hub. However, after the reunification not even that center-position is true anymore, but of course by now it would be pointless to move the airport anywhere else.

If you wanna see expensive places in Germany, go to Munich or Hamburg, not Frankfurt.

As you seem to be talking about another Frankfurt - and not the one I know - you must be talking about Frankfurt/Oder, Frankfurt (Markt Taschendorf, Bavaria), Stadt Frankfurt (Saxony-Anhalt), Frankfort (Illinois) or some other place in the US or Sout Africa that could be mixed with Frankfurt am Main. :P

Please stick to the topic ;)

Scandinavia could be nice....

Maybe Oslo? Copenhagen? Stockholm? These are places that can be easily reached from central Europe.

Or if you want something less mainstream - go to Rovaniemi during Christmas ;)

Or even less mainstream... we can all go to the Austrian village of Fucking and y'all can enjoy a bottle of Fucking Hell :)

Vote for Copenhagen (I am not living there, just to be neutral)

I think that Croatia is a good place, is very well located, you can drive from Austria, North Italy, Slovenia, Serbia, Hungary, South Germany. For me Zagreb and Istria are the best places to meet, I can negociate a good rate at Umag Town (Istria) in a big hotel there in low season for the event.

From/To Umag by car

Venice: 2:30 hr

Vienna: 4:20 hr

Munic: 5:10 hr

Budapest: 5:00 hr

Trieste: 0:40 hr

What I do sometimes to come to Croatia is to take airplane to Venice or Budapest and then by car to ZAG. Is not expensive, and as I said I can get good Hotel price at Melia Hotel in Umag.

Also in high season there are some low cost flights to Rijeka, very close from Umag. The rest of the year there are some directs flights from ZAG to London, MUC, FRA, BRU, AMS, with Croatianairlines.

Is not bad idea to do it here!!!

I'm not attending this, since I'm from Brazil, but I'd like to suggest. I think Amsterdam is a good choice. Also, AMS is a great hub and has some good places to spot planes.

Why not Singapore? Sure its expensive for the people living in Europe, but I guess we also have some Asian players...and Singapore is an awesome city

Well nobody said anything against Singapore so far. We just wanted to collect some suggestions and we will make a decission later on. Of course we have a lot of player from chinese too, but I personaly doubt that there will be many of them at a meet up in SIN.

Well nobody said anything against Singapore so far. We just wanted to collect some suggestions and we will make a decission later on. Of course we have a lot of player from chinese too, but I personaly doubt that there will be many of them at a meet up in SIN.

Personally, I would say not only Chinese, but Asian. In Singapore, we have people from all around the world. Changi is proved to be a great hub with one of the best 5-star airport in the world and SQ as the best 5-star airline has network that covers 6 continents in the world. So, Singapore would be great for most Asian but not European nor American (you have to fly more than 10 hours with SQ or LH from Frankfurt to Changi, that could be expensive  :P )

I'm only a newbie and obviously the chances I would attend are slim.. however I did think a bit on this topic and might I suggest Budapest.

you have to fly more than 10 hours with SQ or LH from Frankfurt to Changi, that could be expensive

The fare on these routings are really variable...if you are unlucky you might end up paying in excess of 1200€, but you can also pay a lot less if you are lucky...I fly CGK-FRA and back about 3 times a year(well its the other direction and it is usually cheaper because you don't have so many surcharges as when departing Germany-but actually, its farther than SIN), once I was able to get a ticket on Etihad for less than 500€(but I was REALLY lucky with that) and some days ago I booked a flight in May on Lufthansa for less than 700€...but I agree, many European people cant afford to come here. But the same is true for a meeting in Europe for the Asian people...

what about Belfast northern Ireland, nice place main airport serves Germany as well a Dublin airport which is only 1.5 hours away.

It was in Dublin last time, so that might be a bit boring again ;)