Major Multi-hub fleet management tips

I was wondering how other people manage their fleets when they get to a certain size, I am talking 300+ planes, over multiple hubs

How do you manage it?
Do you do sub-fleets etc?

I usually divide my fleet into subs fleets based on Hub and stage length.
For instance JFK has 2 subfleets, JFK and JFK - Long Int’l.
AS also lets you add “personal notes” to aircraft, I use this to label the routes being flown by the aircraft ie JFK - LHR or JFK - MIA/BOS.This makes sorting them easier since you can filter by notes.
Make sure you put the info in notes and not name. Notes can’'t be seen, names can.

2 Likes

My subfleets are by fleet type and then by hub. I also find that, while tedious, flight number groups are useful as well.

The notes are the big one. Just make sure you keep a legible for you and consistent pattern throughout the fleets.

1 Like

Fleets: 3 or 4 Digit sort order, HUB, Distance
050-BOS-LHE
100-BOS-3X
110-BOS-4X

Individual planes: I use the notes and nicknames field. Each plane gets a sortable identifier which includes things like hub, destination (most planes fly to one city only), and schedule along with a few other things.

I also have an enormous spreadsheet which helps tie it all together and keep it organized.

1 Like

I arrange my 1000+ planes in a simple way. Every hub has it’s own fleet and planes based in focus cities are in one big fleet with a note about their home airport. Even planes that are based in one hub might be doing flights between another hub and a random city just to get the utilization up. If multiple planes fly routes between two hubs, the fleet they are included in is determined by which hub’s waves the plane is aligned with. I never manage large airlines on plane level, so it does not really matter which plane does what flights as long as loads are similar across all the plane’s flights. My fleets are usually new and aircraft costs are my biggest expense, which is why I always prioritize utilization, over organisation.

I also try to go over all my planes at least ones per year to see if loads/schedules look good. It’s tedious, but worth it.

1 Like

I sort the fleet by hub and sometimes the fleet.

For example, these folders:
FRA, A320
FRA, A321
F.R.A., B777
FRA, A330
FRA, E190
MUC, A320
MUC, A319
MUC, A321
MUC, E190
MUC, B767

and so on

This simplifies management.

I also usually create a subsidiary airline for regional flights.
Sometimes I create subsidiary airlines to manage in different hubs.

1 Like