Most Profitable Long Haul Starter Aircraft

I am World Wide Air CEO. New Fresh and just in the middle of bidding for a A330 200. It will cost me 250,000 AU$ per week in leasing. I will operate it on flight from London Luton to New York(JFK) Sydney (via Delhi) and possibly Rio .

As I have had operated with old boeing 747 300 aircraft. Will these airplanes be more profitable???

Please send me advice for first long haul planes. 

A 330 200 is quite expensive, its not too big for its price. I prefer the 330-300 for long-distance, it requires short runways and is pretty cool. The range is ok. As empty widebodies on long distance routes burn a lot money, I have some A 319 heavy to test rentability.

Be aware of long distances, you need a really perfectly working feeder-networtk (>150 jets) to earn money with  it, as all the long distance birds are horribly thirsty and expensive.

hi and welcome

Luton has just 2160m runway, an A330-200 couldn't land there. Please check the performance tool of the aircraft.

Try to operate from LGW or LHR.

SYD is to long for the beginning: you have no traffic rights on DEL-SYD, so you will fly propably very empty.

London-New York and London-Delhi are quite interesting markets.

try the following: 4 times weekly LGW-JFK and 3 times weekly LGW-DEL with a nice connection at LGW.

your second A330 could fly LGW-ORD and LGW-BOM. Pay attention: you have to plan connection times before planning the flight.

Using the aircraft evaluation tool on may long routes I have found the B787 to be the best. Also have a look at the 737-900ER Winglets as it can do some transatlantic flights. The A330 should do fine though on routes without too much competition. And as andreamilano said long haul flights require a bit of planning and make sure you have good interlining partners and work with each others schedules.   

I am World Wide Air CEO. New Fresh and just in the middle of bidding for a A330 200. It will cost me 250,000 AU$ per week in leasing. I will operate it on flight from London Luton to New York(JFK) Sydney (via Delhi) and possibly Rio .

As I have had operated with old boeing 747 300 aircraft. Will these airplanes be more profitable???

Please send me advice for first long haul planes. 

If there is one NO NO in this game then it is to start with Longhaul flights! You will need a network of 1500 to 2000 daily flights before thinking about starting Longhaul services. If you want to be sucessful then use one of the London Airports and then start small because you will have strong competition there. Use small Aircrafts and then you can test later on if transatlantic flights will work for you and as said before .... you can use there a 737-900ER which will give you good profits once you can fill it .

Thanks Guys I have made up my mind. Restart operations. New Airline is called ''Linked'' It will have 1 A330 operating from London Stansted (So some slots)  to New York 4 Times and Delhi 3 times. I will allow some time to connect.  Then a short haul aircraft which you may have your say must be under $100,000 a week first bid leasing.

I will find some interlining aircraft. 

Opps Airlines

Short haul planning destinations will be Nantes Amsterdam Lille Manchester. For 1 Aircraft

I have now made my final starting decision. 

1 A330-200   STN-ORD      STN-DEL. 

1 A310-200   STN-JFK        STN-DBX

I will like to thank you for your ideas and i hope to be a business partner with you when I get to a destination in your networks. 

The Long Haul has been scheduled so people can frequently connect between 

Dehli and New York JFK . With around 2-3 at STN

Delhi and Chicago   ORD. With around 2  hrs at STN

Mumbai and Chicago ORD With around 2hrs at STN

Mumbai and New York JFK With around 2hrs at STN

One off services (Weekly to make sure we get every mile out of the fleet.)

Delhi to Dallas Fort Worth. With around 90mins in STN

Mumbai to Accra.  With around 75mins in STN

Accra to Geneva. With around 75mins in STN

I hope these flight will be full as they are huge airports full with passengers who need to get to the other side of the world. I will check in a week if they have other a 65% load.

I have placed a bid for a second A310 which I think I will operate it on flights to Dubai and maybe Montreal in Canada  .   The spare day will be a weekly one off to Bridgetown which will depart 90mins after the connection from Mumbai and Delhi already.

I have also got two ATR42 on routes to Lille La Rochelle Amsterdam Cork Dublin Bremen and Geneva.

All at least daily

just some comments:

LGW has a minimum connecting time of 90 minutes (see airport page)

try to coordinate your hubwave in the following way:

start with some local feeder:

before 07:30LT: arrival from UK and Ireland (nightstop)

after 09:00LT: depature towards short european destinations (less than 3:00h turnaround time )

before 12:00LT: arrival from european destinations

after 13:30LT: depature to UK and Ireland

before 16:30LT: arrival from UK and Ireland

after 18:00LT: depature to short european destinations

before 21:00LT: arrival from europe

after 22:00LT: depature to UK and Ireland

these are eight daily short flights per aircraft as a CRJ, an A320 or a B737

you could fly for example

SNN-LGW-AMS-LGW-SNN-LGW-???-LGW-SNN

DUB-LGW-CDG-LGW-DUB-LGW-???-LGW-DUB

MAN-LGW-FRA-LGW-MAN-LGW-???-LGW-MAN

GLA-LGW-BRU-LGW-GLA-LGW-???-LGW-GLA

if this is running, you could add your first widebody:

07:30LT: arrival from JFK (4 times weekly)

09:00LT: depature towards DEL,(maintance is done there) (3 times weekly)

12:00LT: arrival from DEL

13:30LT: depature to JFK,

if the business is running well, you could add some more narrowbodies for some more european destinations, expand the freqency and add additional destinations

Stansted Airport 

75mins. 

I do it a bit differently but have connections from Brussels Amsterdam Nantes Lille Dublin and Cork within the time. (Some may wait short of maybe long)

My 2 and soon 3 widebody aircraft will depart to America on Monday Wednesday and Friday at 22:00 around about. Then come back for 15:30. They go out again around 17:00 to India and eastern destinations on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. They stay there for maintenance and come back for 19:30.   The remaining day which is Late Sunday and Monday operate an One off (Weekly) destination which in these cases are Dallas and Accra. These are in time for connections in stansted from India and the UAE.  I plan in that in mind and do know as they are on the reservation system on the 1st page! Mumbai and Delhi to New York and Chicago.

I attempt to connect long haul routes more as they can attract more passengers as there may not be a direct connection.