Outbidding aircraft auction

Ok, I am a bit frustrated.

Can someone explain the logic behind this.

I was bidding for an A220-30 for 2,298,230 AS$ (less than the list price). At the same time there were other A220-300 available at around 2 400 000

Then a few minutes before the auction closes, I get outbid, and the guy bids more for the aircraft I am bidding than than he would have to bid for the other available aircraft.

To be exact, he bid 2,413,230 AS$ for this aircraft, while he could have bid 2,394,419 AS$ for another example of the same aircraft.

What sense does it make to pay more for an aircraft just to make sure that the other player does not get it ? This has happened to me more than once, so it is not that uncommon.

I don't think it is intentional, but rather lack of understanding or care.

Planes aren't sorted by price by default and some people assume they are.

Perhaps the cheaper plane was younger than the other ones. Age is also important for some guys.

Don’t pay too much attention into this and don’t be frustrated. Most likely, it was not intentional and will happen from time to time.

(Next time, you could pour water in the oil fire by bidding even higher. Then the price will go up and will hurt the other guy if he continues to bid on that plane.)

Perhaps the cheaper plane was younger than the other ones. Age is also important for some guys.

Don’t pay too much attention into this and don’t be frustrated. Most likely, it was not intentional and will happen from time to time.

(Next time, you could pour water in the oil fire by bidding even higher. Then the price will go up and will hurt the other guy if he continues to bid on that plane.)

This was on Otto, age difference cannot even theoritically be more than 0.2 years… I recall them being the same age.

Maybe someone started a new airline and wanted this aircrafts right now, time is money :slight_smile:

Maybe someone started a new airline and wanted this aircrafts right now, time is money :)

I get that, but why bid more when there were cheaper alternatives ?

why think if you can act...

I get that, but why bid more when there were cheaper alternatives ?

I think yukawa is right: If somebody doesn’t care about paying more, he just bids on the first aircraft of the list, or the person has no time for scrolling and searching through the list…

However, I think the other scenarios are more likely than that an “unfair” player is interested in getting you no aircrafts

I would also assume, that person is just looking at the wrong number and didn't realize he got a more expensive aircraft.

Perhaps there is a backlog on the production of the aircraft and wanted the AC now?

Maybe the aircraft was already at his hub or close by, some people want to put the plane to work immediately and don't want to wait for a ferry flight from halfway around the world?

@kruiseri: I think the last couple of answers given illustrate why sometimes what you described happens…