Post #1 Aspern: Regional Airliners

Hi all,

Excited to be on the new server at IST. Exploring the new features. I was wondering if the Dash8-400 is still the most profitable regional airliner on this server. Or has that changed? What about short haul, is it still the 737-700 BGW?

Regards

The best kept secret of the game is the aircraft type evaluation tool. I love it! Just try a domestic route for testing (like MUC-HAM, ...)

Comparing the most modern airliners that are available through Aspern, I'd like to point out after a short test:

- Cheapy "kind-a-like-cheats" with the 737-700 BGW are gone, finally. Out of the 737 NG BGW aircraft, it just became the most non profitable one.

- The ATR 72 is more profitable than the Bombardier Dash 8-400 but performs two flights less per week.

- Bigger airplane (A321 vs. A319) mean smaller prices per seat - that is modelled rather nice in the new airlinesim.

- The A318 and B737-600 are really interesting by now.

- Boeing 737NG are slightly more profitable compared to the Airbus A32X-Series.

- Embraer 170/175 is no good choice at all.

An 148 is also very good.

Yes, I tried the tool earlier as well, and saw that the 737-600 BGW is the most profitable bird from the short haulers. Quite surprising. I am trying to get my head around the seating plans, as the type of seats are now many and varied. It is definitely more exciting though!

Currently I use CRJ 200ER airplanes. O.K profits. 

I am a SIN airline.  An A319 100 Heavy will get me Long Haul flights. I am saving up for 2. They can go to MEL and NRT with full payload if you have good seats (IE Comfort Plus and Lie Flat 160) plus they get more profit than the Boeing 737 700 ER if you check on the MEL route. 

The A319 is the long range airbus A32X series. It has not so many passengers so you only need 10 planes until you have good connections. 

I have tried and I can get 68 Passengers out of the A318 in Comfort Plus and Lie Flat 160. You can still get profits on the MEL (7:30 HRS) using slimline.

O I mean the 319 68 PAX out of the 319

I am getting good results with the A321-200 medium and A319-100 medium as well. I think I will build my airline on this server on a complete Airbus fleet, seems to work just fine.

An 148 is also very good.

I restarted at IST with a complete AN 148 fleet of 8 birds, and it is definitely the better choice. Thank you for the tip!

But not in the future. You will wait 60h for only one (!) aircraft. 

Perfect conditions for the competitors.

Remember that the evaluation tool does not reflect the new seating types correctly.  Just doing a simple test shows that using "standard" seats the AN 148 is showing 5 less seats than the maximum and the 737-700 is showing 33 seats less than the maximum.  This will have quite a big effect on the profitability shown.

But not in the future. You will wait 60h for only one (!) aircraft. 

Perfect conditions for the competitors.

I had not taken that into consideration at all. thanks for pointing it out. Not sure if this calls for a restart using a new type. Any views?

Remember that the evaluation tool does not reflect the new seating types correctly.  Just doing a simple test shows that using "standard" seats the AN 148 is showing 5 less seats than the maximum and the 737-700 is showing 33 seats less than the maximum.  This will have quite a big effect on the profitability shown.

Yes, I noticed that too with the evaluation tool. Very random numbers are being generated. So I stopped relying on it when I started off. Also, the tool doesn't have an option to check the new/extended seat types now on offer.

I had not taken that into consideration at all. thanks for pointing it out. Not sure if this calls for a restart using a new type. Any views?

I would not restart again.

But in future i would only order CRJ 700.

Later if you have more Maintenance categories then  you can cancel the contracts with Antonov. 

Is immediate delivery option closed now?

Is immediate delivery option closed now?

If you have used up the original 10m AS$ then yes

As Aspern is nearing the end of its first week of operation, I'm curious to see what is going to happen with some of these airlines that have leased out large amounts of airplanes (and have a lot of staff). I'll admit my prices are a bit high, but I'm currently in the top 12 in passengers carried in my hub country on Aspern, and I have a ways to go to be able to get another airplane. It will be interesting to see what happens the next couple of days if people can't pay their bills.

As Aspern is nearing the end of its first week of operation, I'm curious to see what is going to happen with some of these airlines that have leased out large amounts of airplanes (and have a lot of staff). I'll admit my prices are a bit high, but I'm currently in the top 12 in passengers carried in my hub country on Aspern, and I have a ways to go to be able to get another airplane. It will be interesting to see what happens the next couple of days if people can't pay their bills.

It will really be interesting also how fast things will go from here. IMO the people who have a lot of small planes (CRJ700 and the like) have an advantage and disadvantage at the same time.

Disadvantage being, they needed to spend a lot more money on pilot training than those who leased like 2 A321 and 1 A320 a bit later in the first week. They also have more staff costs, especially when they used more than one maintenance category and also pay a lot more landing / atc fees per passenger on the smaller planes.

(I just love this "no used planes" thing)

The only advantage I see right now is, they are able to offer more connections. However, this early, a couple of connections are enough to fill especially the smaller planes.

Quite exciting game world.

I am one of the one's who started out regional with 8 Q-400's. It's basically an experiment for me as I am fairly new to AS and still learning. If it fails no big deal I'll just go back to the drawing board and try something else. 

I think starting regional is a very good idea, and normally the Q400s are excellent. One of the most successful "old world" airlines I ran used a combination of 737-800s and Q400s with a capacity of 65 in Y class. You're obviously much further along from where I first started about three years ago. Back then, I was buying 727s and trying to pimp them out. That.. that was pretty bad.

I think starting regional is a very good idea, and normally the Q400s are excellent. One of the most successful "old world" airlines I ran used a combination of 737-800s and Q400s with a capacity of 65 in Y class. You're obviously much further along from where I first started about three years ago. Back then, I was buying 727s and trying to pimp them out. That.. that was pretty bad.

Well they seem to be making money not a huge profit but enough to pay the weekly settlement. In a new world is it better to have ticket prices hover around the default price or raise it above 30% or more?