Questions about the game mechanics like demand and load factor from a new plaer

I'have just started playing the demo version of the game in otto server from a few days ago, and I have some questions about the game's calculation on demand/supply and load.

1. In some routes, all other airlines filled their flight full, but my flights are almost empty. Like OKA-TPE, admittedly other airlines have lots of connecttion while i have little to no, but there should have some O&D. ALso, why it still claim I obtained 20% market share in this situation?

2.Actually, how do connection work? Like I see there are no TSA-SHA flight and since my airline is Japan-based, I tried to operate a flight between the two cities by a stopover in ISG. The transfer time in ISG is 1 hour, does that mean I have to let the plane wait for an hour before continue onto second leg? and why there’re still no connecting passengers in ISG after I did this? Should I create a via flight instead of two separate flights (and will that work with both destinations outside Japan)?

3.I’ve tried to operate some freight flights between different cities but all of them have very low load. For instance, I tried to connect ANC and IST, which both of them have almost full cargo demand and there are no direct flight. But there’re only 1 unit cargo booked onto the flight before last minute cancellation. How is the supply/demand calculated?

1. Can I refit different engines onto my aircraft like what have been done to various aircrafts in real world?

2. A flight from SFO to HND offer more capacity on a same aircraft than the reverse, is that because of the wind direction and thus it’d consume fewer fuel and thus less restriction on payload? But shouldn’t the flight to the east be the one that is getting tailwind? And why they take the same amount of time to complete on schedule? And same situation happened on ANC-IST which the great circle route almost pass through the north pole, thus it should be able to use wind in both direction by flying across Asia in flight to ANC and across Europe in flight from ANC?

3. Can a flight from ICN to SHE overfly North Korea or will additional time/fuel be needed to bypass North Korea sky?

4. Is there any ETOPS restriction in the game?

5. Why you can’t choose some aircraft type in “Aircraft type evaluation”?

6. Is there any reason not to layoff redundant personnell directly?

7. Why are my ITM-SHE and ITM-CJU flights with DC-8-63AF payload-restricted when the flight distance is so little that even ATR-72 can fly these routes without any problem? Is that because of runway length?

8. Cancelling a booked flight come with a cost?

9. Is it impossible to install premium economy seat or lounges onto an aircraft?

10. Will the game allow operation of flights with fifth freedom in foreseeable future?

11. Can I fly from my base country, make a technical stop in second country, and then continue to carry passengers to the second country or another third country? For instance, SDJ-MDY-NAN

12. Is traffic between Ukraine and Russia still allowed in the game? (Actually is this the situation in reality?)

13. I read that traffic between some countries are forbiddened in the game but players still can fly empty planes between them. Can their flag airline fly into other side’s country and is there any restriction in such situation? Like for example can a Israeli airline operate cargo flight between Dubai and FRA?

14. Is there any regional traffic restrictions like EU - Crimea?

15. Will real life event happening to airports affect airport availability? Like Mosul Airport which is occupied by ISIS and then its runway is destroyed by them.

16. IATA code for Mosul Airport is OSM not OSB

20.Why ISG and TSA are connected together on ground network when they are separated by hundreds of kilometer of ocean without any lands connecting them together?

Your thread is hard to read but here are some answers.

1. AS is all about connections. While you started some days ago, the other airlines most likely are flying already for quite some time and hence have the connections which you cannot offer.

1. You don’t have passenger traffic rights on TSA-SHA. Your flights must start in Japan (if you are based in Japan) and end in Japan.

2. Again missing connections.

3. No, not yet. Might be a feature in the future.

4. Check the runway lengths on both airports. Most likely, your plane needs a longer runway in HND.

5. don’t know what you mean. You can choose many planes in aircraft type evaluation tool and compare them.

6. You will have to pay if you layoff redundant personal. So it might be better to keep pilots and train them for another plane type.

7. yes

8. for now it is impossible. Feature on the roadmap for next year “booking classes”

9. there are already some treaties in place like EU treaty.

10. You can make a stop-over but then you will not have passenger transportation rights for the second leg (if the stop over is not in your home country, in your case Japan).

11. in game yes.

16./17. There are restrictions, indeed. Check the restrictions in Wiki.

1. no

2. send a note to Support.

Hi, and welcome to AS. Sounds like an AS quiz for me, let's see how far I got. CMIIW.

1. Market share info is based on capacity and not actual load. While you should be able to get some OD traffic, there are a lot of other factor that affect the booking: seat config, service offering, price, etc, that form the ORS rating, but since you're playing free version, I'm not sure you get this ORS feature.

2. That's mean 1 hour turn-around time in ISG, either via flight or two separate flight number would work, but getting the aircraft filled is another challenge. Traffic for TSA-SHA might also connect in TPE, HKG, and other cities, so you basicly competing with other one-stop connecting flights.

3. I think the demand distribution formula is classified, guess long haul cargo need a lot of feeder to begin with.

4. Not the moment.

5. afaik, they dont factor wind condition to the flight time. usually the difference on inbound/outbound payload because of aircraft performance related to take-off roll and landing roll vs available runway, so no idea on this.

6. yes

7. no

8. you can only select available passenger aircraft

9. severance payment cost like 5x weekly payment to fire a redundant personnel, you might need him/her next week.

10. check the aircraft performance page, see the required take-off roll and landing roll for maximum payload and compare with the available runway.

11. yes

12. currently not possible, probably in future development.

13. depending on gameworld, they have some agreement in place, like EU Treaty, Yamoussoukro, etc

14. you can, but the flight rating is heavily penalized as it counted as one-stop. non stop you can get max 100 rating, 1-stop max 75 rating.

15. in game yes, i think you still can't fly US to Cuba. best way to check with route evaluation.

16. check with route evaluation tool, funny that i can fly CGK-TLV lol. but mostly you can fly cargo planes

17. yes, on passengers, but funny you can still fly cargo planes lol.

18. not at the moment.

19. contact support.

20. no idea, funny thing that it's not reciprocal, ISG has ground network to TSA but TSA doesn't consider ISG on its ground network.

Let's see how much I score.. Hopefully higher than highscore, lol..

In addition to the reply above.

1. AS is all about connections. You should build a working hub and coordinate the incoming with the outgoing flights. On a good and working hub you can have as much as 70-80% of connecting traffic that will fill your planes.

2. If the passenger can stay in the same plane, the connection time can be less than the minimal connection time of that airport. So if you fly SHA-ISG and then with the same plane after the stop immediately onward to TSA, then you can get passengers that connect.

3. Check real world traffic to get a feel for where you might be able to fill your flights. That is especially true for passenger demand, but also for cargo flights.

4. No

19./20. Send a note to support to have that fixed.

Thanks for all your replies.

1. Market share info is based on capacity and not actual load. While you should be able to get some OD traffic, there are a lot of other factor that affect the booking: seat config, service offering, price, etc, that form the ORS rating, but since you're playing free version, I'm not sure you get this ORS feature.

I can't access the ORS page but all my price and service setting are standard while some other opponent are up to 50% more expensive. I have +2 image and +4 price performance ratio there.

1. AS is all about connections. You should build a working hub and coordinate the incoming with the outgoing flights. On a good and working hub you can have as much as 70-80% of connecting traffic that will fill your planes.

1. AS is all about connections. While you started some days ago, the other airlines most likely are flying already for quite some time and hence have the connections which you cannot offer.

but then my flights are only ~10% filled...

2. You don’t have passenger traffic rights on TSA-SHA. Your flights must start in Japan (if you are based in Japan) and end in Japan.

Yes, so I have TSA-ISG and ISG-SHA with ISG being a Japanese airport.

2. That's mean 1 hour turn-around time in ISG, either via flight or two separate flight number would work, but getting the aircraft filled is another challenge. Traffic for TSA-SHA might also connect in TPE, HKG, and other cities, so you basicly competing with other one-stop connecting flights.

Is there anyway to check all other one-stop connecting flights?

(quote limit reached)

For 6, “yes” as in it can overfly or it need to bypass DPRK sky?

For 12, if I read the blogpost correctly, that booking class does not affect the physical arrangement of seats in carbin?

For 13 I was asking about the situation outside specific alliance/treaty, for routes like SYD-NRT-JFK

For 14 I tested with http://otto.airlinesim.aero/app/com/numbers/409517?34&segment=1and it does not seems to work

For 16 I mean restriction on flag carrier airlines not specific route. For 17 I mean regions that are part of larger countries where traffic between those larger countries themselves are ok, As I see no restriction on specific regions on wiki and there are still flight from SIP to Moscow, Kyiv and Munich.

And @rpandugita what do you mean by “mostly you fly cargo planes?” As I tried to operate a flight between both Korea and it seems like cargo are also not allowed. http://otto.airlinesim.aero/app/com/numbers/409537?58&segment=1

1. And I just get an mail pointing to the game rule that say intra-city flight is not allowed. But why don’t just forbid it in the game system? Or better yet, make such flight unable to carry cargo/passenger as occasionally player might want to relocate an aircraft into different airport within same city.

2. Why it ban intra-city flights on servers with ground network, but flight between airports that are not in the same city but are more closer together is allowed? For instance I can’t fly ITM-KIX (25km) but I can fly ITM-UKB (16km)

3. In “transfer impossible” airport, can passengers sit on same plane and continue the journey?

I can't access the ORS page but all my price and service setting are standard while some other opponent are up to 50% more expensive. I have +2 image and +4 price performance ratio there.

but then my flights are only ~10% filled…

With everything standard, you will be far from having the best possible rating. +4 performance ratio means between 80 and 90 rating for direct flights, maybe less for connecting flights.

The fact that your competitor prices are higher doesn't matter much in itself – the important thing is the price / performance ratio. Meaning that your competitors can have higher rating than you with higher prices if they offer significantly more quality (and I assume they do).

Is there anyway to check all other one-stop connecting flights?

In the ORS. Credits are worth it to play AS  ^_^

For 6, "yes" as in it can overfly or it need to bypass DPRK sky?

Because it's not handled by the game mechanisms.

For 12, if I read the blogpost correctly, that booking class does not affect the physical arrangement of seats in carbin?

One booking class matches one comfort class. One comfort class matches one or more booking classes.

Let's wait a bit to see how it works exactly, as long as the feature is not final, that would be speculation.

23. In "transfer impossible" airport, can passengers sit on same plane and continue the journey?

If you have a "via" flight, yes. If you have two different flights, no.

If you have a "via" flight, yes. If you have two different flights, no.

It doesn’t matter for as long as it’s the same aircraft, it can be a different flight number.

Help! My planes fly without passengers

ValntinG36 - please open a new thread and let us know which airline and which server you are playing.

ready and I have opened

Help! My planes fly without passengers

sometime planes do fly without passengers, especially cargo planes or passenger plane on ferry flights, so don't panic as long as it's not fly without pilots. well, even drone have someone remotely controlling them..  ^_^

For 13 I was asking about the situation outside specific alliance/treaty, for routes like SYD-NRT-JFK

And @rpandugita what do you mean by “mostly you fly cargo planes?” As I tried to operate a flight between both Korea and it seems like cargo are also not allowed. http://otto.airlinesim.aero/app/com/numbers/409537?58&segment=1

1. And I just get an mail pointing to the game rule that say intra-city flight is not allowed. But why don’t just forbid it in the game system? Or better yet, make such flight unable to carry cargo/passenger as occasionally player might want to relocate an aircraft into different airport within same city.

2. Why it ban intra-city flights on servers with ground network, but flight between airports that are not in the same city but are more closer together is allowed? For instance I can’t fly ITM-KIX (25km) but I can fly ITM-UKB (16km)

3. In “transfer impossible” airport, can passengers sit on same plane and continue the journey?

13. i believe if you have two routes SYD - NRT and NRT - JFK, some of your pax inbound from SYD can connect to JFK in NRT, provided the flight timed properly and the 1-stop flight rating are attractive enough. But if SYD-JFK already well served by non-stop flight, don't expect too much.

17. I was checking FRA - UKS, only cargo, so assume EU to Crimea you can fly cargo. US - Cuba, total no-no, as S. Korea - N. Korea. Wonder why would you want a complete fly/no-fly list, most airlines doesn't need it.

21. well maybe they would hard code it in the future, for the being it is the way they implement the restriction.

22. I'm starting to get amazed by your level of detail for a new player, be careful with your curiosity and try not to be seduced by the dark side of the force lol. AFAIK the maintain a list of airport located in same city and it's a growing list and by no means it's a complete one at the moment. I think they just haven't figure this one or by their current judgement, it's located in different city area, thus they don't put it in the ban list.

23. yes

17. I was checking FRA - UKS, only cargo, so assume EU to Crimea you can fly cargo. US - Cuba, total no-no, as S. Korea - N. Korea. Wonder why would you want a complete fly/no-fly list, most airlines doesn't need it.

1. well maybe they would hard code it in the future, for the being it is the way they implement the restriction.

1. I’m starting to get amazed by your level of detail for a new player, be careful with your curiosity and try not to be seduced by the dark side of the force lol. AFAIK the maintain a list of airport located in same city and it’s a growing list and by no means it’s a complete one at the moment. I think they just haven’t figure this one or by their current judgement, it’s located in different city area, thus they don’t put it in the ban list.

17. Was your base in Germany when you did the check?

• Probably because I started in an rather empty airport with 10 ATRs and then also rented a DC-8 freighter (which proved to be a horrible mistake) so I can try out different things relatively quickly.

• a. So if I understand correctly, If a same plane is used in a route like SDJ-ANC-SLC with same code, passengers from SDJ can still travel onward to SLC despite it can’t pick up passengers in ANC?

1. Why both ITM and KHH have night time ban from 0:01 to 5:59 but the latest time I can take off from ITM is 0:00 while the latest I can take off from KHH is 1:00?

2. How to create a forum signature like the one you have?

3. I just brought some credit and now have access to the ORS system. In ORS, when I search TSA-SHA, it shows that my flight is the only one-stop connection without using ground network (no non-stop). But if ground network is included then there’re lots of more different options. From how ground network traffics are displayed, are those ground network traffic being treated like a flight but with car or ship in the system?

4. My TSA-ISG-SHA flight show up in the ORS with both flights being bookable and is in green, but why when I check the box for “Ignore full and ineligible connections”, my flight disappear?

27. You are based in Japan, right?

If your flight starts in TSA, then you have no passenger transportation rights to Japan but you then have from Japan to SHA.

The ORS just lists all available flights - if you check the box "ignore... ineligible connections", the system checks that you have not the passenger transportation rights on the first leg. You can also check this in route evaluation. To avoid this issue, your flight has to start in Japan and end in Japan. So you would have ISG-TSA-ISG and another flight ISG-SHA-ISG.

If your flight starts in TSA, then you have no passenger transportation rights to Japan but you then have from Japan to SHA.

The ORS just lists all available flights - if you check the box “ignore… ineligible connections”, the system checks that you have not the passenger transportation rights on the first leg. You can also check this in route evaluation. To avoid this issue, your flight has to start in Japan and end in Japan. So you would have ISG-TSA-ISG and another flight ISG-SHA-ISG.

a. Yes. But I used different flight number for TSA-ISG and ISG-SHA and there’re a very little amount of traffics on both legs. See http://imgur.com/pfvtaKD

b. so if I use single flight number in TSA-ISG-SHA that would have problem?

a) as shown in the picture, this is correct. You are flying ISG-TSA-ISG and ISG-SHA-ISG. So you should also describe it that way. If you want to ask why there is "very little amount of traffic" - the answer is that the demand on these routes is either not high enough, you have competitors flying with better planes / seats / service / price. So what do you want to know exactly? (by the way: the minimum transfer time in ISG is 1:00 h but your flight to SHA starts too early to allow connecting passengers from other flights)

b. yes, see my explanation above.

your question:

24. Why both ITM and KHH have night time ban from 0:01 to 5:59 but the latest time I can take off from ITM is 0:00 while the latest I can take off from KHH is 1:00?

Answer: check the airport information page - ITM UTC+9h, KHH UTC+8h

Regarding signatures, you can find all information here: http://community.airlinesim.aero/topic/8850-airline-signatures/

This is just wrong. As a Japanese airline, you have traffic rights from all countries flying to Japan, and the other way around.

So if your flight is from TSA to any city in Japan, then you DO have traffic rights. A flight either has to start OR end in your home country to have traffic rights.

Sorry - then I was wrong for several months playing that game. :)

your question:

1. Why both ITM and KHH have night time ban from 0:01 to 5:59 but the latest time I can take off from ITM is 0:00 while the latest I can take off from KHH is 1:00?

Answer: check the airport information page - ITM UTC+9h, KHH UTC+8h

Ah forgot about that

a) as shown in the picture, this is correct. You are flying ISG-TSA-ISG and ISG-SHA-ISG. So you should also describe it that way. If you want to ask why there is "very little amount of traffic" - the answer is that the demand on these routes is either not high enough, you have competitors flying with better planes / seats / service / price. So what do you want to know exactly? (by the way: the minimum transfer time in ISG is 1:00 h but your flight to SHA starts too early to allow connecting passengers from other flights)

b. yes, see my explanation above.

I was asking about why it is filtered as ineligible on the Online Reservation System.