QUIMBY VIII: What the heck is going on??

Seriously guys, I'm with Highscore on this...

Not everything in this world works the Amazon way (Everything / Cheapest / Immediately). 

Airlinesim is one of these things... just because it costs some money does not necessarily mean you have a right to get everything you want immediately.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind at all discussing whether the selection of aircraft is good or not, and to debate particular aircraft. But the general tone at the start of this discussion just leaves me speechless. This is just a game, nobody has broken into your house or switched of the air to breathe... ;-)

And knowing the game and the developers for more than a decade, I can tell you HE DOES CARE about you guys, which I think is one of the reasons he quickly reacted to some of the suggestions for such a game world. Think about this: You spend a third of your professional life on developing something like this, and then someone comes along and tells you you don't really care about it (??!)... would you appreciate to read that kind of comment? I'd be quite disappointed to read that... so why can't we be a bit more considerate in debating?

Just my opinion...

Fabian

I do not think anyone here was threatening hell and brimstone, nor was there any heated debate. You may go back and read the entries before Highscore.

All that people did here was to express dismay or disappointment at the exclusion of so many crucial planes. I believe it is important to express our thoughts and give feed back - that is the entire essence of a forum!

Having said that, what makes it hard to understand is that we are not asking or expecting new features, all that was expected was for the proper game options to be ticked and uploaded!

There are already functional templates and worlds - not a single one of the missing plane types are new or require new coding. Take one of the previous classic game worlds, remove the modern planes or inappropriate types and leave only the relevant ones. All that is needed is to tick or include the right options in uploading the new game world. This is why it is hard to understand.

I think we should desist from making this thread about what it is not. It is not personal and is not about Simulogics, Martin or Highscore. To make out any criticism or dissatisfaction to mean an attack on Martin or Simulogics is to miss the point and defeat the purpose of a forum. We are here to discuss common interests, provide feedback and express our desires, so that Airline will become even better. and this is precisely what is being done!

If we all just accepted whatever and never expressed any needs or wishes, how exactly is the business suppose to know and respond to such needs?? How does it get better? I believe that criticisms, challenges and pressure are essential tools for development and growth in any organization. I do not believe that expressing disappointment at something that could have been improved upon with a little more attention is asking for too much.

My two cents.

[[[[ deeply, some people are feeling offended.]]]]

First, a few users have highlighted their disappointment with the chosen aircraft available in the new Quimby iteration. This is normal, acceptable and we should encourage this behavior. Only this way the developer(s) know how the users feel. [instead of "this is a one man business, look how much he has done, he has devoted so much time,... bla bla bla bla" - this is not helpful to Martin - it is defensive, but not proactive. in fact, it is a fake image]

I also think the chosen plane list is not as good as it could have been. As many other users have criticised. 

There is only one way forward: developer(s) taking on board users criticism/challenges/wishes,... or it will slowly die.

I have read the posts at the start, however it appears you guys have not read what I wrote... I never argued with the debate itself, which I agree is a good thing.

And it's not really about being offended either - I am not a developer, hence I don't give a damn, quite frankly. I simply don't like it when someone who has no clue about the development story of Airlinesim comes along and says something along the lines of "A/B/C doesn't care"... There is not positive / constructive element of critique in there, apart from the fact that this person probably simply can't tell. That's all - I never said the debate itself is wrong.

But I will drop out of this here now, everyone is free to debate how they like to debate, and we will see whether it will motivate the developers to do what you desire...

Regards

Fabian

... And I am sorry, but when the title of the thread starts with "What the heck..." it is hard to argue that this is not at least a very heated debate, which I don't think it necessarily needs to be, because there is no time issue, and the more emotion is in there, the less factual it usually gets, very quickly...

However, a factual debate is what would help the matter of the cause best, which should be to make the game better. 

Fabian

Right, Fabian. I am here also on your page.

Shouting will not help, at least long time members should know. Spezialist already has stated that he will look into it again and some planes might be missing. That is a big step forward and much more than any other reaction from the team in months.

The sound and tone of the dicussion is too emotional and negative. "What the heck..." or "What a mess. Sort yourself out simulogics" does not seem to be really positive in a way that someone would change anything.

This was my last comment on this and perhaps it is better to step out here. Kindergarden instead of helpful and calm discussions.

On a slightly different topic, how come aircraft like ATP are able to operate out of CDG, which shows as being a 10 airport, and ATPS only go up to 7.

without checking the actual aircraft and server:

you should be able to fly every aircraft out of any airport, but you will certainly be quite restricted in terms of potential destinations.

I am guessing, the ATP is operated to a bar 1 or 2 airport?

without checking the actual aircraft and server:

you should be able to fly every aircraft out of any airport, but you will certainly be quite restricted in terms of potential destinations.

I am guessing, the ATP is operated to a bar 1 or 2 airport?

To a bar 6 and 7 airport. I thought you could only operate aircraft from bar 10 airports if they had green ticks in all the bars in the little chart against the aircraft type

It’s a matrix. Judt like flights, it goes in two directions

Member since 8th of November. This year.

Hahaha very clearly a new account mate, I took a break from the game and re-rolled.

Coming back to the feedback thing:

There was this idea of having a throwback world for a while and I really liked it and was keen on playing something new inside AS. Since this is a limited Quimby-thing now I still see it as a test how people will accept it. How do I accept it? Not at all and that's why I left this game world without leasing a single aircraft. Does this sound harsh? Might be, but I'll give you some explanations;

- 1991 is a boring year to start from a historic view, since most borders as we know them have been the same like nowadays. I would have prefered the mid or late 80s with an active Soviet block and some more restrictions on traffic rights. This would have been challenging for experienced players since it would be something new inside a great game.

- I can understand the reasoning for not changing the demand on each airport since it would have been some real work, although i would have loved to have some of the now closed airports as part of the game while some "new" airports haven't been part of the game.

- The available aircrafts are just a "crippled" version of any server that offers used aircrafts from back in the days. There are so many types missing I would have loved to use for this game world and that have been so common in 1991 at airports around the world (DC9s, 727s, 732s...).

So QuimbyVIII is not challenging me and that's why I stay on other servers that entertain me a lot more. It's not a disrespect to the AS-team, it's just my personal choice. Maybe the community can help the AS-team creating a "real" throwback world by collecting data of airports at a certain timeframe. This could lead into a not limited new game world that might be even more attractive for some players. If the AS-team is into this idea feel free to contact me. I'd love to help on that.

I think the 1991 starting date was good - it was a barrier between the newer generation planes (such as A340/A330) and the older generation planes (Such as A300, MD-11). The real issue was that they simply left out so many planes that should have been legitimately available new and used for no reason! At the last count, there were 17 plane types or models that were overlooked and left out!

Like you, I came in excited but was deflated when I saw such a scanty offering. I made my exit cos it was pointless. Years ago, a new game world such as this would be completely filled with players (all 1200 slots)! But now take a look at the Quimby VIII server at only one week old, it has less players than the 3 months old Otto IV, and that tells you all there is to know.

I hope a new server will start around '95, so early A330/340 , 777 . I liked the 91 start date aswell.

Can Not Agree More

The developers are very very great in making all sorts of excuses though. I have truly heard enough but they won’t run out that big database of justifications.

Seriously, if you don’t bother to keep the game going you really shouldn’t be a developer.

I see what you are suggesting. AS is some sort of privilleged game that only Senior Senior players are entitled to voice out their concerns or dislike the game.

“BUT: if you guys don’t like what AS offers you, you are completely free to leave the simulation. Like CBE did.”

Despite the fact that you are completely free to state such opionion, I must say your thoughts are utterly ridulous. Your liking of the current AS is not the rule. Correct, there are no competing products available in the market. But I must remind you what really bothers me: It is due to this monopoly Simulogics don’t bother to take the game to the next level.

I also highly agree the notion raised by yourself that you should silent in this thread and forum because of your lack of tolerance towards other’s opinions and the unfriendly atmosphere of discussion posts like yours bring.

Generally I am not active towards discussions on the AS forum because there is always a group of players, marked by the tone of your posts, constantly claiming AS is the best game in the world and every single person should understand and support the lack of care of the development team. So why don’t you guys pay for our credits then? I would happily cease arguing too.

So you think the developers don‘t want to bring the things wanted. What let you think this? If manpower is missing it’s difficult to work fast and get all the things into the game we miss.

You just can try to code your own game, maybe you see that’s not as easy as you think.

Typical displacement of argument. Is simulogics a company ran by part-time enthusiasts whose products do not charge fees of usage? Hint: No. If so I will immediately stop complaining because I code in routine works and I very much know how mindbuggling doing high quality coding is.

AFAIK, simulogics developers are full-time.What they are doing is busy developing another game(Which is actually receiving a lot of attention and honestly, looks good). It’s ok for a project to stagnate but I am always wondering why they are always in a tough gesture finding excuses and why there always are a bunch of people to lecture around how hard the development work is. I mean come on all developing works are hard. If there are that many excuses and AS is such a commercially unviable game why not just shut down the old crappy AS?

Another common argument is that the market niche is so minute. Do a little research and people will see this argument is not that legit.

And there is your mistake, it is only one, so the rest is obsolete.