Startups

I have a problem, a very annoying problem. Stupid (no offence) people keep starting up in MNL (my hub). To me, this is stupid. Two big airlines (RA [me] and SEAPA) are already competing and five or six have either started up or liquidated in one month. 2 or three this week! Why is this happening? Its obvious that people will shut down soon after startup and again, TWO big airlines are already here. You wouldn't start up in LHR with 1 mega airline there. So why here with TWO BIG AIRLINES!!! Just... urgh.

It happens everywhere. Not only in Manila.

Why is it a problem?

It's a thing, that you, as an airline in Manila, has to solve. By becoming the most attractive airline so passenger will only booked you compared to those startup airlines.

To the OP, sorry but this is somewhat funny. You - RA - has 245 weekly departures in MNL, and SAPA has 383 weekly departures. There are 67% free slots and MNL is an 8-bar airport, and to multiply the attractiveness, we must consider that on Quimby, Manila has just 6-slots-per-5-minutes as opposed to 7 slots regularly.

So Manila is VERY attractive to other players, because it is a VIRGIN MARKET. If Both you and SAPA had 2000+ departures each and you were occupying 80% of slots, and new players kept starting airlines there, then your question would make sense.

But under the current circumstances, the question has a very easy answer.... they keep starting up airlines because the airport is virtually empty.

I do never insulte my competitors and new start ups by calling them "stupid" when you only have 245 weekly departures in such a large airport. I would call you a very small airline even I would start in MNL when there is no competition and it is not so hard taking out two airline whit about 300 weekly departures each, even if they have been there more then you. 

On Quimby 250 weekly departures is nothing in such a large airport and just serving 16 destinations and all this on over 1 month, I could get over 1000 weekly departures whit the starting budget on Quimby. Whit 1000 weekly departures you will be competitive whit 245 you are not competitive at all.

I have a problem, a very annoying problem. Stupid (no offence) people keep starting up in MNL (my hub). To me, this is stupid. Two big airlines (RA [me] and SEAPA) are already competing and five or six have either started up or liquidated in one month. 2 or three this week! Why is this happening? Its obvious that people will shut down soon after startup and again, TWO big airlines are already here. You wouldn't start up in LHR with 1 mega airline there. So why here with TWO BIG AIRLINES!!! Just... urgh.

It seems People Power Airways in just 5 days has managed to start up and launch more departures then you have as well as grab a larger marketshare so far this week...

So now there are 3 small airlines operating in this hub, and no large ones.

It is also not so strange IMO that a lot of airlines will start up and then close down in just a few weeks time since Quimby is a test server only alive for a few months time, so many will want to check it out for a week or so.

Some big boys don't wanna share, lol. I could only imagine how annoying it is. If they started then liquidated in a month or so, should not be any problem then, unless you're not big enough. If I were you, I would love to interline with those start-ups, have them feed some domestic traffic while they're in the business and get notified when they're out of the business.