Timetables of GN segments in ORS

Hello all,
Was doing some cost-benefit analysis on whether to add some connections direct from Tenerife North when I fly them out of Tenerife South. I noticed that the timings of the existing TFN - TFS ORS ground network segments were on a fixed timetable, every 80 minutes even if connection times were uneven unto the connecting flight from South. Case in point I did this on other combinations across my network and different hubs etc… but i got genuinely curious, since these seem to be set timetables:

What is the method of determining the frequency of these connections? Is it a bar-to-bar fixed number?

How is the determined timetable, if regular as i predict, formed? I saw in some cases there was a common 00:00 LT segment - is this the point zero and then counted based on the frequency established?

Does this differ for airports with night bans? (So eg can I take a segment from Gyor-Per (no NTB) at 4 LT to catch a flight leaving Budapest (NTB) at 6:30 LT? or one from Bayreuth (NTB) to connect with a MUC departure (NTB) under similar timings?

What is used to determine the time requirement for these? Travel time on road? Or a number based on as the crow flies distances?

Thanks for help on topic, could not find anything like this on forums…

Ooph, that’s some seriously old code we’re talking about. I’ll try to dig it up next time I touch the old codebase.

2 Likes

No digging of the old code base has been done yet? :slight_smile:

Next week. This week is full-on ASTD :wink:

1 Like

Lots of magic numbers involved:

• Fixed ground speed of 45km/h
  • travel time is based on beeline distance
  • connection time is based on respective airport’s connection time
  • “frequency” is based on average size of the origin and destination airport of the train connection times a magic factor, so likely someone typed those in, was happy with “how it looks” and never touched it again :smiley:

Oldest lines in the respective piece of code are annotated “2009-10-22 Initial import”, meaning they existed before the codebase was even checked into the current version control system for the first time. So very likely they are even older, probably from some time around 2005 to 2007.

3 Likes

Insightful! Thanks :slight_smile: