What do you think the 797 will be?

My profile photo is 797

b1.jpg

image005.jpg

A single aisle version of the 787 to replace 737s...

@Vlad That was proved to ba a hoax :)

Still looks cool though. ;)

Now to think of it ...

what will come after the 797?

I mean there are no 7s left.

Trijets and quadjets aren't the future: they are too complex. 

Well, probably a true 757 replacement.

The 737-9max and A321NEO can do about 95% of the missions the 757 does, but  a fuel efficient plane capable of doing trans-atlantic missions to smaller markets, would open a whole bunch of new oppertunities for airlines/airports. 

Before Boeing decided to go ahead with the 737Max, they actually preferred a clean sheet design, but due to pressure from airlines, and the fact that Airbus was already going ahead with the NEO, they where affraid they would lose to many terrain, since it would take a couple more years before the plane could enter service. 

There where some speculations this plane would have been a twin-aisle aircraft, which is quite unique for a short-haul design. Boeing actually requested patent on some designs they made: 

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/mt/flightglobalweb/blogs/flightblogger/assets_c/2010/09/737RSpatent_1000-thumb-560x459-91612.jpg

Hi,

Well, probably a true 757 replacement.

The 737-9max and A321NEO can do about 95% of the missions the 757 does, but  a fuel efficient plane capable of doing trans-atlantic missions to smaller markets, would open a whole bunch of new oppertunities for airlines/airports.

as much as I would like to see a true 757 replacement, I doubt that many airlines would buy it, because, as you said, the 757 performance is only needed on 5% of the routes. I think this would not offset the increased costs for the airlines. Further, Boeing would create an in-house competitor to the 737MAX, which is definitly not what they want. I guess it will be a twinjet(trijets and quads are not economic to operate with todays fuel costs), but I'm not sure what kind of aircraft it will be.

That was proved to ba a hoax :)

I know, but still believe in this. :)

Hi,

as much as I would like to see a true 757 replacement, I doubt that many airlines would buy it, because, as you said, the 757 performance is only needed on 5% of the routes. I think this would not offset the increased costs for the airlines. Further, Boeing would create an in-house competitor to the 737MAX, which is definitly not what they want. I guess it will be a twinjet(trijets and quads are not economic to operate with todays fuel costs), but I'm not sure what kind of aircraft it will be.

Well, what i ment to say is that , besides the 5%, it could open a whole new market. Competition is getting harder, and i trully believe that, with the growing demand in air traffic, point to point becomes more important each year. Also the 757 is operated to Europe by UA, US/AA, and occasionally DL, and plays an important role to mainly big markets where there is a lot of competition, and lack of alliance/partners with connection flights. (for example: PHL-AMS operated by US airways).

The 787-8 is just to much plane in a lot of cases (remember, its bigger compared to the 767-300ER), and the A321/737 are to small and lack the performance, certainly for flights into deeper Europe. 

757W: :4100 nm with full payload

A321Neo: 3600 nm , fp 

737-9max: 3595 nm, fp 

Both the A319NEO and 737-7 are capable of approaching the 757 range, but are still about 200/300 nm's short,  lack the capacity and i doubt both will see the daylight eventually (more and more airlines, just like the A350-800, are converting theire orders to bigger models) 

So this new plane won't compete with the 737/A320 for about 90% of the flights, but could have a big piece of the cake on Transcon, Inter Asia, US/EU, US mainland to Hawaii, etc etc. 

Its just my 2c, but i wont be suprised since i think it would fit in really nice between the 737 and 787

Gosh, I've started a proper debate here  :)

I doubt there will be a 797, at least in the near future. As much as I'd like more variety in the sky the near future for Boeing in my view consists of the 737, 777 and 787. Each plane fits every market out there that Boeing wants to be present in. Remodels such as the 737-Max 777-x/9 whatever its called now are the only "new" aircraft I can see from Boeing, each plane has such a good reputation among airlines and passengers Boeing will want to milk them for as long as possible. I have no clear facts but I am guessing that a remodel where a 737 is given new wings and new engines is a lot cheaper to produce than a entirely new model.

I think it would take a big jump in technology for Boeing to design build and produce the 797. If there is no huge jump then a 737 replacement is the most likely as it's the oldest model in service that Boeing run.

Nathan, I never really thought of that. The logic checks out, and I suppose the 737 74' and the lot DO have publicity with them.

I lean toward it being a 737 replacement, if they even end up using the number "797."

Now to think of it ...

what will come after the 797?

I mean there are no 7s left.

"818"?

"818"?

It will be hard to get used to that one then :D

7XX for Boeing and 3XX for Airbus are in everyone's mind. I think it will be hard to change that.

I'm sure most of you have heard of the X-48B that Phantom Works designed. They flew it a while back, but they are obviously testing designs of their next aircraft.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to sit 10 seats away from a window. The seating arrangement warrants that people would be sitting far away from any windows.

My official prediction:

The 797 will likely be the replacement for the 737 seat segments, as per the Boeing Yellowstone Project as some have already mentioned: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Yellowstone_Project

As the wiki states, the “Y2” market segment was the 787. It is possible that the 797 ends up being a replacement for the “Y3” (747, 777, etc) segment instead of the “Y1” (737), however because the 737MAX was announced before the 777X project it would seem the Y1 would be next in line for the 797 designation.

All that said, Boeing may completely trash the entire yellowstone structure and instead move to a new, more revolutionary aircraft type OR develop one in parallel with the current Yellowstone Project.

It is very unlikely but we could see a SST or even a ballistic transport (space flight) in the next few decades. The BWB (Blended Wing Body) as illustrated in the posts above as the next “797” is also a possibility. The chances of seeing one of these new aircraft types would depend mostly on:

1. Airline demand (also derived from PAX demand)

2. Technological breakthroughs

3. Economic viability (cheap fuel sources, etc.)

4. Economic clime (overall economic state, as well as Boeing financial position)

5. Safety

I may have missed some other factors but those are the big ones IMO.

Here is a fascinating link concerning a current aerospace technology in development, I’d love to see this particular application of technology become a success.

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk