Traffic rights for Norwegian air shuttle

Norwegian air shuttle is a Norway registered airline, while today I found it is also operating Stockholm - New York international flight. Did Norwegian air shuttle has traffic rights to operate this flight and why? Do we simulate this in the game too?

Norwegian has traffic rights on any route from Europe to the United States based on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU-U.S._Open_Skies_Agreement

Additionally, this treaty allows all american airlines to fly intra-european routes and allows european airlines to fly any route from the United States to any other country.

some exaples:

Air France could fly Rome-Los Angeles-Singapore-Rome with full traffic rights on any flight

United could fly Madrid-Warsaw-Helsinki with full traffic rights on any flight

We can not simulate this as we have to decide which agreement we want - the open skies agreement or the EU treaty. Both combined in the current system would lead to full traffic rights for US airines within the EU with full traffic rights and full traffic rights for all european airlines not only to the US but also within the US.

Excellent explanation, thanks, andreamilano!

Now I understand why Norwegian is OK to operate Stockholm - New York, since it is based on EU–U.S. Open Skies Agreement. Is there any such agreement between Thailand and EU? Since I found Norwegian is operating Stockholm - Bangkok too (DY7205).

The agreement looks unfair to EU airlines, did any US airlines actually use this agreement to operate any inside EU flights?

I'm not sure if US airlines have the full rights to operate flights within the EU. I thought they have the right to operate them only if they are an ongoing flight after transatlantic flights - like ORD-LHR-CDG. But having full rights for flights in Europa wouldn't be anything new - I remember some airlines like Delta offering flights out of Frankfurt accross europe.

US airlines do not have intra-european rights, neither do European airlines have domestic traffic rights in the US.

Is there any such agreement between Thailand and EU? Since I found Norwegian is operating Stockholm - Bangkok too (DY7205).

There are several other agreements between EFTA countries and ASEAN countries as Singapore, Malaysia and Thailandia.

US airlines do not have intra-european rights, neither do European airlines have domestic traffic rights in the US.

They have full intra-european rights.  But they don't have the money to start a service today.

Disagree strongly and this can be found on the internet. The EU/US Open Skies regulates the transatlantic services and ownership of foreign airlines, but neither domestic US and intra-european services are included.

And if you look at their balance sheets you’ll find out soon, that they definitely do not lack money!