Trying to understand why flight loads have dropped off?

This is the first world I have ever played in so still learning. I was doing pretty well and now I am having issues filling my flights and I am not sure what I have done wrong.  I looked at a simple route DEN to DSM using the online reservation where I have a lower flight price better ratings but the flight does not fill up compared to my other companies planes.  I notice that others are flying a bunch of flight to same destination during the day but since I can't fill one flight did not think I should add more flights between the cities.

The AGEX on Aspern has been dropping for weeks now, thus lowering overall demand. It dropped from almosr 1100 to some 810. You will have to adapt, either by pricing, service level or connectibility between your flights.

Thanks for the information. Where did you find the numbers on that just curious.  Thanks

I think I see what you are talking about.

http://aspern.airlinesim.aero/action/holding/stockexchanges

I did not realize that was related to Passenger demand also.

I think that’s the only thing it relates to :wink:

The AGEX is a good indicator of how the "economy" is functioning in that particular game world. Better economy, more people travel.

A drop in passengers can be caused by a low AGEX, but another issue might be connections not being so great. For instance, your DEN-DSM route. Some Denver passengers might be looking to travel to Des Moines, but many, many more will be wanting to travel from everywhere else on the planet to Des Moines. You need to have more than just great DEN-DSM ratings. You would need either good interlining or a great network of your own flights travelling from places like LAX, LAS, SLC, SFO, OAK...

quick question: Will the AGEX keep going down, or it might bounce back? What are some factors that influence the AGEX index? Is it just a random number set by the server?

Just a random thing. It may go up tomorrow, it may keep on dropping until next Christmas. It´s completely unknown and random.

It would appear there is a sort of sinus rythm to it, though. It’s more of a guess, but look at it’s developtment over the last couple of months. That might be an indication on where it’s headingnext

it wouldn't be uncommon for AGEX to drop to 600ish.

Also, the drop in AGEX is proportional to the drop in demand:

AGEX 1000 = normal demand

AGEX 800 = demand drops (though by less than 20%).

The rise and fall used to have a 1:1 impact on passenger loads, but now thats been reduced. For example, a 10% AGEX drop would mean demand drops from anywhere between 5% and 10% ish. 

Thanks for the great information.  Just learning the ropes of this fun game.

This is the first world I have ever played in so still learning. I was doing pretty well and now I am having issues filling my flights and I am not sure what I have done wrong.  I looked at a simple route DEN to DSM using the online reservation where I have a lower flight price better ratings but the flight does not fill up compared to my other companies planes.  I notice that others are flying a bunch of flight to same destination during the day but since I can't fill one flight did not think I should add more flights between the cities.

Looking over your airline I see a couple of issues.  You are competiting in the Denver market yet you are the #9 airline in that market.  It is tough getting connecting passengers when you have that few passengers compared to American Jet (the #1 airline) in Denver.  Depending on how your other flights are doing I would look to either abandon the Denver market moving to another market you can dominate (25% or more market share) or double down and move ALL of your flights into and out of Denver.  Or conversely trying to get an interlining agreement with the #2 or #3 carrier in Denver.

Right now though with AGEX dropping (and likely to keep dropping) you have to make a choice.  Either reduce the plane size on routes.  Abandon the route.  Or double down and build a bigger network either with your own planes or with another company that competes in Denver. 

On thing I would tell you to look at is how alll of the top 10 airlines in the US completely dominate in the markets they operate in.  Look at how they dominate the markets and ultimately push out the competition.  The way this game calculates passengers make it almost impossible to make it if you can't at least get 20-25% of a big market.  And it is absolutely cut throat.

Just a random thing. It may go up tomorrow, it may keep on dropping until next Christmas. It´s completely unknown and random.

Yes and no ... it is random to a degree, but there is a cyclic tendency ... just look on other game worlds.

700-750 seems to be the valley, and 1100 seems to be the peak. The status quo is 1000. It has about 4 months on below 850 level, and about 8 months above 850 level, with about 4-5 months above 900 level (which is pretty good).