What happened to the 757s?

A year ago there were hundreds of 757s on Idlewild. Now there are just about 50 from every category. What happened to all those planes? Where have they gone?

1 Like

probably scrapped…
I mean it’s the same when a large company with only new planes ceases operations - often only a couple of them end up on the market

i thought old planes made available at the start of the server never get scrapped? That’s the reason i made a post in the past to suggest keeping more than 50 units for certain newer airframes so that you don’t end up having the more old-gen airframe than the new-gen on the server simply because all the newer types get scrapped down to 50 in the used market while the older ones are not.

Did anything change?

2 Likes

A friend brought it up and I suggested that there must have been some kind of unannounced scrapping update. But it makes no sense. In AS there was never any scrapping, yet we have lost hundreds of older planes on Idlewild.

Even if there was a scrapping update then surely the older airframes should be scrapped first, not just randomly planes of all ages disappearing.

@martin Have you added such an update?

Were those 757 owned by private companies before or by AS? No change of the scrapping rules has taken place recently, but if the frames changed hands from private to public, they might have ended up on the scrapyard.

2 Likes

There is always have been scrapping. That happens (if I remember correctly) when the plane has three of it’s price cycles in the market (I would guess you know what I mean by this) and no one bites the bait. No plane is exempt.

I’m guessing that some 757 operator ceased and no one bought them up in time, assuming the exorbitant fuel of a few months ago they’re far from attractive.

I am assured we’ve lost plenty of planes that way on Lima as well, (particularly when an airline with over 600 E-295s ceases) but that is not as important, as we can still order those new.

Thanks for the answer. So if an original plane gets bought by AS for minimum price or through liquidation it might despawn? Does this always happen or just sometimes?

Idlewild here. Christian is right. Something strange happened with one of the updates since he started in Russia last year, there used to be hundreds of 737 classics, MD80s series, 757s, and now there are only 50 of them from each model, and no more. They all mysteriously disappeared at some point of time. Last time I saw they were publicly owned. That was sometimes at the end of last year. Hundreds of them. Now they are gone and limited to 50. I know I used to have like 200+ of each MDs and 737 classics when I started many years ago.

1 Like

No, they were the original aircraft the server started with, they never got scraped in my 8 years on Idlewild. I used to have hundreds when I started, years later Highscore had those same planes in hundreds himself. After a company liquidated or returned them, they all went back to market because they were the “original ones” the Gameworld started with.

2 Likes

Right… perhaps in the case of Limatambo since there was no used market at the start, we don’t have any of the OGs.

From what I can recall, and I may be wrong especially in terms of the numbers.

An aircraft hits the market at the full book value. Then it undergoes somewhat constant price slashing until it stops somewhere in the lower seventies. IIRC the slashing happens every 72h. If the plane is not acquired by any operator then, then it goes back to full value.
This process is repeated twice more.

If at the end of the third window the plane is not sold, then it is “scrapped”.

The most prominent case I can think of, is the 767-300ERs (no winglets)… we used to have a small carrier cease last year with what IIRC was 4 of them. I remember vividly those planes going through the third cycles, and I picked two of them up at the rock bottom price, for a week, just to break the cycle, since they still might have a role (perhaps in foreign investment). I tried them in FI, and as it didn’t work I put them back out to market. My alliance buddy also got them on the rock bottom price on lease. The other two, are no longer existent, I assume scrapped as I only wanted two and you can still buy them new, I guess.

And I assume this happened with a lot of the more popular variants when two airlines with combined fleet of over 1250 ceased within one week, essentially. But of course, it is a lot easier to keep track of 4 planes than 1250.

It is quite weird that they managed to avoid the cycles until this long… so good luck finding where their resting place ended up being…

I remember but where those really public, means AS owned or privately? Like your beginners program
I can’t remember very well…

Is there any update on this subject? I think the planes are indeed deleted…

i had my example on 737-300 when i made an old post on the used plane market and at that time there are 400 (BGW) +231 (HGW) post. Now it is 148+78. I don’t think any player massively bought in the plane then sell off them as suggested. i think Henning was using them but i think they were rent only. Is there any chance the update on crapping the plane down to 50 only looks at every plane in the used market owned by AS instead of during the change of hands?

1 Like