Who do i complain to about mistreatment of baggage?

My suitcase has been destroyed by careless baggage handing leaving 2 pockets unusuable, on my flight from Helsinki to London Gatwick, using Norwegian Airlines. Who is at fault? Helsinki airport? Gatwick? Norwegian? So annoyed about this but I dont want to waste my time complaining to the wrong people?

You always have to file a claim with the airline / airline's handling agent, in the baggage claim area ... if time now passed since you flight, bad luck. You have to do the claim on the spot. It's also best to take pictures of your bag just before check in so you can prove the state your bag entered the check in area.

Yeah, doesn’t look like I’ll get compensation. To be fair, it doesn’t look like they deliberately tried to break into the bag even though the tear is pretty big. I guess a complaint can’t hurt ;D , and a recommendation that if you’ve got the mind, it is probably better to fly Finnair on that route. Although i may be wrong xD

I see your chances very slim if you didn't complain on spot (and still slim there), there is very little evidence you can give that your bag was fine before you gave it to the airline. I have flown Norwegian hundreds of time since they still where a small unknown domestic airline in Norway (planes are much more conformable nowadays but service is worse), surprisingly I have never had any major baggage issues with them as I have had with SAS, Malev and Turkish. The worst I can think of was this spring at Barcelona when they simply "forgot" about my luggage and 10 other passengers. Everyone else got their bags until I was left with 10 other passengers and the carousel shut stopped rolling. We went to complain and a couple of minutes later our luggage came. 

If i where you I would write a complain and cross my fingers. But if they mistreated your bag to such an extent then something inside must also be broken.

I see your chances very slim if you didn't complain on spot (and still slim there), there is very little evidence you can give that your bag was fine before you gave it to the airline. I have flown Norwegian hundreds of time since they still where a small unknown domestic airline in Norway (planes are much more conformable nowadays but service is worse), surprisingly I have never had any major baggage issues with them as I have had with SAS, Malev and Turkish. The worst I can think of was this spring at Barcelona when they simply "forgot" about my luggage and 10 other passengers. Everyone else got their bags until I was left with 10 other passengers and the carousel shut stopped rolling. We went to complain and a couple of minutes later our luggage came.

If i where you I would write a complain and cross my fingers. But if they mistreated your bag to such an extent then something inside must also be broken.

Yeah, them forgetting the bags has always been my worst nightmare at airports. Your heart must have sank when they didn’t come through.

To claim compensation I have to travel back down to Gatwick- which is painful in itself but without evidence that my bag wasn’t broken beforehand, I have no chance and it would be a wasted journey.

Despite this, Norwegian are still in my good books because firstly, in-flight wifi on short haul flights (better than easyJet and BA) and also a cheap way to get to America, although for a long flight like that I’d much prefer a comfortable experience. Having said that I’ve never flown Norwegian long haul and so I shouldn’t be judging.

I would like to point out that most airlines are being handled by external service providers. So even if you swit h from norwegiab to finair it might be the same people handling your luggage.

Second of all, while I understand your frustration, I am glad you already pointed out that they probabaly didn’t do it deliberately. Loaders handle sothe many bags a day they simply don’t give a s*** about an individual one, but try to get the job done during the ridiculously short ground times some airlines enforce.

And regarding compensation: as has been saidthe, if you don’t claim it right away, you don’t anything.

And complain? That would be for your benefit only. Airlines calculate the risks of very short turnaround times, know that there will be damages but also know that they still make a lot more money simply accepting those few claims that actually make it all the way through.

Loaders handle sothe many bags a day they simply don't give a s*** about an individual one, but try to get the job done during the ridiculously short ground times some airlines enforce.

That’s why a320s are better as the bag could just be put in a container without somebody crawling in the hold. No need for a depressed loader ;).

There are plenty of A320 with holds for bulk. It is not a question of aircraft type.

Also, it is still a human stuffing that bag into the container

Last year I was on the viewing terrace at AMS, a guy loading bags onto a conveyor for Transavia had apparently been watching some American wrestling.

Well he certainly looked as though he was practicing some body slams with the cases ;-)

I try to avoid checking any baggage, never a good idea...  

Last year I was on the viewing terrace at AMS, a guy loading bags onto a conveyor for Transavia had apparently been watching some American wrestling.

Well he certainly looked as though he was practicing some body slams with the cases ;-)

I try to avoid checking any baggage, never a good idea...  

You should see the Swedish luggage wrestlers, pure viking power being thrown onto those poor bags :D. 

Anyways I also try avoiding checked luggage but usually it is impossible.